Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 09:57 PM
Kobold

Default Making classic, classic

Is there any way to bring back extremely dark nights for this server? Something I can do client side or something? One of the scary things for this game was the ability for people to choose a race with night vision. Having night vision actually made the game completely different and one thing I miss are DARK AS HELL NIGHTS. Any way we can get that back in? I don't care if it's actually something nobody else but me will see, I just miss it.

Helping you get on Project99 since yesterday.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:08 PM
Aviak

set gamma to 10%
Old 02-24-2015, 10:15 PM
Fire Giant

When I first started on Live, I got lost in the pitch black tunnel trying to zone from EF to Blackburrow. I had to run back to Halas and buy a torch.

I think they've discussed this issue, years back. IIRC it's not possible.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:21 PM
Fire Giant

It was attempted.

I believe it's something they are working on.

I too, miss the experience of bumping into a griffin in EC when you're level 8 because you couldn't see it. Night truly was a factor in classic Everquest. Would be great to see it return.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:24 PM
Developer

Close your eyes.

Not on the radar currently.

Just finished npc and pc collisions for bolts. So those should be working next patch.

H
Old 02-24-2015, 11:40 PM
Planar Protector

The issue is with the client. I think it could be done if P99 went with the classic client instead of Titanium. The difference is how it handles light sources and dynamic lighting as far as I can tell. The last patch they tried to do the darkness thing, but it was unsuccessful, because the Titanium client handles light sources completely different from the classic client. The classic client would have a fire beetle eye make a difference for what you could see. Also infravision had a very noticeable effect where in the Titanium client, neither does a thing.

Please Haynar, if at all possible, let's make the Big Box Trilogy Client work with P99.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:43 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The issue is with the client. I think it could be done if P99 went with the classic client instead of Titanium. The difference is how it handles light sources and dynamic lighting as far as I can tell. The last patch they tried to do the darkness thing, but it was unsuccessful, because the Titanium client handles light sources completely different from the classic client. The classic client would have a fire beetle eye make a difference for what you could see. Also infravision had a very noticeable effect where in the Titanium client, neither does a thing.

Please Haynar, if at all possible, let's make the Big Box Trilogy Client work with P99.
wouldnt this make the titanium client no longer work? i was thinking it would be cool to have a custom p99 client built with modern tech, but im not sure how feasible this is or what it might entail.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:57 PM
Planar Protector

Given the eq version the emulator uses, I think we have to come to terms with the fact that some of Sony's nerfs were pretty much can't ever be undone. And the nerf to racial vision penalties is one of them. Because that is the issue, not the world lighting, but something that used to differ based on race or spell.

Might as well ask for endurance to matter again. The Sony nerfhammer is nuclear sometimes: they just destroy all old code.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:01 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The last patch they tried to do the darkness thing, but it was unsuccessful.
That would be an understatement. They worked long and hard on a gamma hack which the community exploded over. Some players found that they could no longer see even with ultravision, others (like me) barely saw any difference.

When I first played, I remember my wood elf getting lost in Greater Faydark because even infravision was not quite enough to penetrate the darkness.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:57 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentathiel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That would be an understatement. They worked long and hard on a gamma hack which the community exploded over. Some players found that they could no longer see even with ultravision, others (like me) barely saw any difference.

When I first played, I remember my wood elf getting lost in Greater Faydark because even infravision was not quite enough to penetrate the darkness.
I remember that very well. My first char was a wood elf on live. Infravision didn't do anything for seeing the environment, but it did make the mobs stand out from the environment by making the models a little brighter and red looking. Sadly it doesn't work that way with the Titanium client.
Closed Thread