Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

View Poll Results: Most fun to play overall casting class?
Enchanter 61 46.92%
Magician 8 6.15%
Wizard 12 9.23%
Necromancer 49 37.69%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 06:20 PM
Orc

Default People who played all 4 caster classes- most fun casting class?

I got my enchanter alt up to 30 based on a Charisma-charm solo build (210 CHA, 160s INT), while technically very challenging and -kinda- fun with the power of enchanter, it's just not overall something I look forward to playing even though the levels fly solo Charming. Thinking about making a change. I had a necro on live a million years ago that I really enjoyed, but played him past kunark to OOW so I'm not sure if it translates to P99

I can throw 5 to 10K at the class but I still do all the quests, And I'm talking overall fun from Level 1 to 60.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:28 PM
Planar Protector

For what it's worth, enchanter doesn't really come into it's own until like 40, I would say. Before then clarity regen isn't maxed yet, simple spells like roots and calms and stuns suck up a fair chunk of your total mana pool, blue con range is small so one blue con is a pushover but the next breaks charm every 2 ticks, etc. The general idea is the same from 12-60, but 40-60 (and ESPECIALLY 51+), it is much smoother and more fun, imo, than before that.

Necro is great. Similar overall fun imo to a chanter, just with different strengths and weaknesses. Feign, harmshield, lifetaps, dots? Awesome. No tash or slow and very limited hard CC? Tough to get used to after playing a chanter.

Magician is too much of a one-trick pony. They AREN'T truly one-trick ponys - pets can be used in a variety of ways and they have their nukes and rains and debuffs and fun summons and stuff. But not versatile enough to keep my attention, especially when grinding levels.

Wizards are like magicians imo. A few nice perks beyond their damage - roots, stuns, ports - but not enough to make grinding levels or medding through raids better than "almost tolerable."
Old 08-03-2017, 07:32 PM
Sarnak

If you want a change from Enchanter play a Necro then. Much more straight forward class, a breeze to level and I found it fun leveling all the way. Can't do all the endgame stuff an enchanter can however. If you got 10k to throw buy a Pre-nerf Circlet of Shadows and you're good.

I got a mage up to 35 before I had to give it up; the chain pet summoning way of levelling solo is just really cumbersome and it sucks playing a caster class without any form of CC outside of clickies.

Wizard I can't say much tbh, last time I played one was on live but on P99 they seem to be shunned for groups even more so then a necro. Ok for raiding I guess? If I wanted to quad kite a character to 60 I think I'd rather play a druid.
Last edited by Nycon43; 08-03-2017 at 07:42 PM..
Old 08-04-2017, 08:34 AM
Fire Giant

I haven't played all 4 casters, but I've played several different classes and I used to think bard was the funnest class in EQ until I took an Enchanter to 60 solo. The early 30's were some of the most boring leveling I did on my Enchanter, think it was in the CT gator tunnels but I remember it felt like really slow going.

You just can't beat sending a pet into 5+ mobs, dragging them all out, and then killing them all. It's also fun to solo crawl through dungeons or parts of dungeons that full groups routinely wipe in.

Enchanter really starts to shine at 51 once they get Theft of Thought and mana regen becomes pretty much a non-issue.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:53 AM
Planar Protector

Necro is probably the most fun overall. Being able to FD, insta-invis and heal also makes the class much more forgiving of mistakes, leading to less frustration and the ability to take more risks. Necro also has a variety of ways to level which keeps things fresh: fear kite, root rot, charm are all viable XP options. And while duoing/grouping Necros shift into more of a support role, using different tactics and spells. Always a fun and interesting playstyle with a lot of room for variety and experimentation.

Enchanters would be a solid second place in my estimation. They'd definitely be in first place if having the most powerful character is your idea of fun, since they are unarguably the most powerful when well-played. But they're not easy to play well and tend to die a lot, which is not fun for most people.

I'd put Magicians in third place for fun. Most people will be at least somewhat turned off by their limitations, and some find the lack of variety in the Mage playstyle abysmally boring. But others find it a relaxing change of pace compared to more demanding classes. Really depends on the player.

Wizards are the least fun by far. Do not play a Wizard unless you are a hardcore raider, in which case you wouldn't even need to ask the question. In other words, if you have to ask whether or not to play a Wizard, you should not play a Wizard.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:32 AM
Planar Protector

Enchanter by far.

Solo charming is the most fun thing you can do in EQ.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:09 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Depends on what you're looking to do...

Enchanter and Necro are very active classes but also very powerful. Enchanter is especially strong, but you need to be glued to your screen ready for charm breaks. There are endless posts that gush over these 2 classes so I don't need to say much more. I'd say if you're looking for a "fun" class, those are the 2 best of the 4 caster classes.

However, there is something to be said about the relaxing nature of playing a mage or wizzy. Mages are powerful and easy to play, and wizards are awesome at quad kiting and getting around Norrath in a flash. You won't stress out over charm breaks or min/maxing your hp/mana ratio with these classes. They are both very low stress.

I seriously love my wizard, and I'm so glad I leveled one up. It's sad that they don't get any love here. Quadding is awesome exp (and 50+ its also amazing plat), plus you can go do other stuff while you med. I can't commit a lot of time to EQ and have to AFK frequently, so it was the perfect class for me.

Try them all out! Caster classes are great. And always remember, Gnome > all other races
Old 08-04-2017, 12:15 PM
Fire Giant

I've played all int casters except Wizard to mid 50s/60.

Necro is probably the most enjoyable ride to 60. Plenty of milestone levels (20, 34, 49, 51, 60) where you really feel more powerful as you gain levels and spells. Tons of utility and different ways to solo if you get bored with one style. Low cost, high reward class. Being an evil race/class opens up tons of camps and opportunities too, that other classes might shy away from. Necro lets you embrace it!

Enchanter is #2. Super strong, but dies more often than other int casters and misses some of the quality of life perks of necro (FD, CoS, heals, types of gameplay). Incredibly strong though and makes a meh group into a killing machine. The amount of attention an Enchanter takes can burn you out, though.

Magician's next. I have a soft spot in my heart for Mage as it was the very first class I rolled on live. Pets are great leveling up and pull solid damage in groups or solo. The novelty of summoned items can be pretty fun. It can get a little old though.

Wizard I wont speak on as I've only made it to the mid-20s before getting bored. Wizards seem like they fell into the same spot as Rangers in that it took until Luclin/PoP to really give the class a good definition.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:48 PM
Planar Protector

Forgot to share:

My first character on Povar was a High Elf Wizard. I stopped playing him at level 7 because root lasted literlly 1 second or never stuck and level 3 orc pawns would kill me even though my piercing skill was maxed. This is RIGHT at release. Maybe 2 or 3 days in.

Wizards were broken and didn't work at all solo. A lot of people in GFay constantly complained that wizards were impossible to play solo.

I switched to an Enchanter and loved it from level 1 to 60, then switched to a Mage when Velious dropped and never went back to my chanter until PoP.

I became furious with Verant when they nerfed the Enchanter charm spell. Spoke to ...Balish...damn I can't remember his chars name. The person who ran the Allakhazam board played a Dark Elf Enchanter on Povar. He used to go in to the arena in FP and charm one of the warrior master trainers and have him destroy everything in there.

He was not happy about the nerf too. Anyway, the Enchanter was the best. Mage was kick back and relax and when I got my epic, it became easy mode and almost everyone wanted me in their group. Epic pet was crazy OP in Velious and Luclin.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Necro is probably the most enjoyable ride to 60. Plenty of milestone levels (20, 34, 49, 51, 60) where you really feel more powerful as you gain levels and spells.
Yeah. This is a huge deal for how fun playing 1-60 is, and it's something enchanter misses out on. Most upgrades in enchanter spell lines don't even get used right when you get them, because they cost too much or cast too slowly or don't really get good until your level scales them up to max % effect. Some never get used instead of the lower-level versions. Higher-level charms don't get used until well after you get them either for XPing or just for charming the toughest thing you can find. Our "end-game" spells are gimmicky or situational or both. Etc. Even going from breeze to c1 or from c1 to c2 is just a background, quality-of-life change and not a "wow, I just got awesome" change. Theft of thought is about the single biggest power-up moment in a chanter's life, and even that is a situational spell that doesn't have a direct effect on gameplay AT ALL... it just enables you to do all the other stuff you could already do for longer without ooming and having to die/end the fight/gate.

Necro spells definitely give you big steps up every time you get a new one, and that really makes the reward for hitting a new spell level incredibly satisfying.
Closed Thread