Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 09:26 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Started my first char, what do I do and where do I go?

I started a new character, a high elf enchanter, and I have to say, I have what to do or how to do it.

All I have is a note that says to talk to some guy, there is no map, there is no npc search feature, the consider-thing is a complete mystery, no idea how to use it.
I can't seem to be able to get any information from npc's in any way.

So in short, how do I know where to go?
How do I see level, health or basically any information on mobs at all?

Pretty much all features that are there to help beginners seem to be disabled.
Any guide that covers EVERYTHING?
Old 08-05-2017, 04:51 AM
Planar Protector

When the game was released the instruction manual included town maps.

Many of them have been uploaded to the wiki. https://wiki.project1999.com/Felwithe

As an enchanter you need to head to the area marked '1' in North Felwithe (the second zone in the city) which will then allow you to teleport to your class guild trainer. Here you can hand in your note, browse spells and equipment and improve your basic skills.

Your UI should include a target window, when you click on a mob it will show a mob and what portion of it's health remains. To 'consider' a monster's level relative to your you must either right click it, or either press 'c' while it is targeted.

Initially players are a little more powerful than monsters, but as you level up an equally levelled monster will be increasingly powerful compared to you. 'Trivial' mobs that won't give (much) experience con green. Those slightly lower level than you are blue, equal are white, a couple of levels above you are yellow and if they really outlevel you they 'con' red.

Considering a monster or npc will also tell you if it is likely to try attack you (if they scowl or glare at you they want to kill you).

Have you worked out how to scribe your spells into your book and how to choose spells to memorise for casting yet?
Old 08-05-2017, 07:52 AM
Kobold

Norrath in a Nutshell: Beginners Guide
https://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Newbie
https://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Adventure

You may find these guides helpful. Most quests are vague but hailing every NPC you come across is a good way to start. Using the wiki's maps and learning the /loc command for coordinates will help. I recommend doing as many quests in the newbie areas as you can, because they will familiarize you with the zones and some are good experience, such as the Bone Chips quest in Kaladim not too far away from you. Good luck!
Old 08-05-2017, 08:00 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Thank you both for your answers, they were very helpful.
I guess I really underestimated how different this experience would be from other mmos.
I can see myself getting into it now that I know that external tools are a recommended part for the course, makes it a little less daunting.

Thanks again! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-05-2017, 08:31 AM
Planar Protector

Welcome! If you want, I can show you around Felwithe a bit and give you some pointers about survival. What is your enchanter's name?
Old 08-05-2017, 10:12 AM
Planar Protector

Oh man, to have that new game feeling again.... must be thrilling. And frustrating. But mostly thrilling.

If it were me, I would stay away from guides and go explore the world. Meet people in the gAME . Ask them questions.

Good luck! And enjoy it.

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 08-05-2017, 01:08 PM
Planar Protector

This is all good advice. Enchanters arent an easy first class naked, but a good challenge...hit level 12 and the world starts to open up to you. Groups will love you for the mana regen buff (Breeze at Level 16, Clarity at 29) and melee haste (from level 16).
Old 08-06-2017, 02:13 PM
Orc

Yes, I was going to say to maybe play something like a druid or mage as a first class and observe what other enchanters in your groups do to learn the class a little. That and watching Youtube videos taught me the most about playing an enchanter.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:35 PM
Kobold

I have a few tips to contribute:
1) Do not turn in the book you're given to the Priest of Discord. Doing so makes you PvP and can cause issues later. You were likely also given a note to turn into your guild master. Turning that in is fine.

2) Charm soloing and duoing are great ways to level up.
If you want to solo, charm a mob to act as a pet. Sit back and let your pet do/take all damage. When your pet gets low hp, cast invis on yourself to break the charm, and kill your pet for exp. If your initial target is still alive, nuke it down for exp or charm to repeat the cycle.
Tip: it helps to keep the mob you're attacking rooted. That way, if charm breaks, only your pet charges you while the other mob remains rooted safely far from you.
If you want to duo, group up with a cleric, shaman, or druid. Clerics are preferable as they can stun your pet when charm breaks (more on charm breaks below), but all 3 of those classes can heal you. Also, duoing or being in a group in general negates the exp penalty that occurs when your pet does 50% damage or more during soloing.

3) You should always have a stun spell loaded to stun your pet when he breaks charm. When this occurs, the cycle should be stun>mes>re-tash>re-charm.

4) Get accustomed to using the lowest level mes and AoE mes spells, mesmerize and mesmerization. They have a very short duration, but what is great about them, is that either spell can overwrite the other. So if you AoE mes a group of mobs, you can switch back to your single mes when there is only 1 mob left decreasing mana consumption.

I am sure you'll have questions. Feel free to ask away.
Tooround Tofit - 60 Ogre Warrior
Flyhalf - 58 Halfling Cleric
Eamonn - 55 Half Elf Bard
Blood Guard
Old 08-08-2017, 10:00 AM
Kobold

Welcome to the server!! I would give anything to relive the true "where the hell do I go and what do I do" feeling of being truly new to the game. Try to savor it if you can, having the world unfold slowly around you is one of the best parts--there is very literally, no rush to get level-capped.
Closed Thread