Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Planar Protector

Default classic eq site I just found

I Just found this site while doing a Google image search:

http://www.hyperhighway.com/bilgehunter/

It's mostly a blog but it does have screenshots of many rare spawns from the Classic/Kunark era. In addition there are some nice rants about EQ issues of the day which is always fun to read.

I particularly liked this one abotu dragon raids and level caps:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Newsbite of the Week: Dragons

This week the following patch message came to us all from our friends at Verant.

"Rumor has it that some new dragons have been spotted in Kunark. It should be noted however that the dragons can be engaged from much further away than is intended. Rather than hold off implementing these dragons for another week, we've decided to implement them now and fix the problem in the next patch. Enjoy"

This as we all know is an attempt to solve the ongoing debate on the level cap for Nagafen and Vox, but is it really going to solve the problem or just cause more. I've done my share of killing (and being killed by) Dragons, and I thought the level cap was a huge mistake.

I come from an old school role playing back ground, pen and paper. In a role playing game (not a CRPG mind you) a dragon was a huge undertaking, often resulting in the deaths of many (much like EQ). Dragon hunting usually involved huge quest to find the dragon, find its weakness, large amounts of travel and the eventual hunt of the beast. Varant in my opinion has really missed the boat on Dragons. Vox as we all know is found inside Permafrost, Nagafen in Sol B. Both were and are fairly easy to get to. There is no research needed to discover a weakness or a quest to find a powerful weapon to fight a dragon with.

Dragon hunts are therefore reduced to this: Uberguild A decides to kill the dragon on Blank Day (any day after a patch). They all gather at a set time, and pull the Giants. Killing the dragon becomes a simple task with the proper knowledge and people to do it. Loot is passed out and everyone goes about their normal gaming.

I hoped with Veeshan's Peak things would change, as a quest was involved to get into the zone. Unfortunatly VP has become basically the same as the original Vox-Nag raids, with only the most powerful guilds getting the chance to hunt there.

I feel sorry that EQ has been reduced to a "join uberguild A or don't raid" game. Now I'm not saying that you can't do a raid without being in an uberguild, what I am saying is most of the Dragons are killed by large guilds, with many people left out. I was hoping the intent of everquest was QUESTING. As we all know most of the quests in the game blow froglok slime. I'd like to see a long involved quest to find a dragon, a dragon killable by a much SMALLER group of people, something like this:

Six players gather to discover the secrets of the mythical dragon, Arturmus. (heh, I know but I HAD to name it that) They travel the world seeking clues of the whereabouts of this beast only to discover that the dragon must be summoned from the Plane of Sky by the Avatar of Veeshan herself (Long side quest follows involving finding Veeshan and doing quest for her). Eventually the heros are able to summon and kill Arturumus, and are rewarded (perhaps with titles?). The unfortunate side effect of this? The heros discover they are now hated in Rivervale, the town the dragon protects, and one member of the party, a halfling rogue, finds a magic ring that he just can't seem to get rid of (Props to J.R.R. Tolken, the master of the dragon quest).

Impossible you say? I'd like to hear your thoughts on the idea.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:17 PM
Kobold

lol
http://www.hyperhighway.com/bilgehun...sey_ryback.htm
Closed Thread