Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 03-29-2011, 11:10 PM
Fire Giant

Default Two hand weapons not working on pets

Expected behavior: Pet uses two hand weapon for damage calculations on main hand (if dual wielding pet).

Actual behavior: Pet continues to do damage as if no weapon has been equipped (despite the graphic showing).

Test: Give a pet Weighted Axe and it will continue to hit for it's base damage, as opposed to 90 a hit as was classic (until nerfed later after Kunark release and the mass use of Weighted Axe on pets).
Old 03-29-2011, 11:19 PM
VIP / Contributor

Link to some evidence of this. Never seen anything that would support this anywhere.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:29 PM
Aviak

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=3579

Pets and Haste
Posted: 2001-05-01 00:20:36 | Quote | Reply to Post | Follow
Anonymous
Anonymous Score: Default
Well first off im a 56 warrior on Vazaelle. I use this weapon often for opening blows. Well now i got a sash of dragonborn (i believe 50 % haste) and when my enchanter friend casts swift like the wind (75 % haste) thats 115 % haste. Which brings the ratios of this down to aroun 75 - 85. A fairly deecent delay and some beat down damage. also, its amazing seeing a friends magician pet quadding consistently for 100 damage at 25 delay.

RE: Is this item really lore?
Posted: 2001-02-09 07:43:53 | Quote | Reply to Post
Anonymous
Anonymous Score: Default
Enchanter, Necromancer, Magician, and Shadow Knight pets would use a 150 delay weapon, since the dagger "nerf" made it so weapon delay has no effect on the pet's attack speed. Don't you just love seeing your pet quadding for 91 each at 25 delay? =)

I know those are early 2001, looking for anything earlier I can find
Old 03-29-2011, 11:42 PM
Fire Giant

I used to ALWAYS remember giving my low level pets a rusty 2 handed sword, because they would often hit for the max damage for that level, which would be 20 (or 21). Then when their level increased (when the pet was 20+ and 30+), the damage would still be the same as a players (when their dmg cap gets increased).

Seriously, every time I see a fucking thread like this OH MYGOD THEY HAD 14 PEOPLE ITS OUR MOB LOL OURS OURS OURS YESSS I just want to fucking deathtouch the entire guild and despawn the mob.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:42 PM
Fire Giant

Not sure if a historical account elsewhere is relevant, but Sammana's has a few comments on it and the hidden No Pet tag that was added later in the weapon's life at:

http://samanna.net/eq.shaman/sham.pets.shtml

Quote:
Section #5: Special notes.

Shields/two-handers: At a certain point in your pet-summoning life, magician pets will stop equipping shield and two-handers. This happens at a point (sometime in the 20s/30s) where the pet realizes that a two-hander or a shield would severely hamper his DPS by not letting him dual-wield. As a result, he won't equip any two-handers or shields, simply letting them rot in his inventory or destroying them.

Nothing beats the mage summoned belt, don't even try looking for upgrades in that section

There are two very special items that SoE decided pets could not use:

1. Weighted Axe, back in the day people were using this to let pets hit for massive amounts due to the high damage and the fact that pets ignore the downside (the delay). This item has a hidden "No Pets!" tag on it.

2. Di`zok Oracle Shillelagh, AKA "The Slowstick". SoE didn't like mages getting such a powerful slow. This is the only item marked with the "No Pets" tag. However, this is not the only slow proc that could be given to pets, just the only one nerfed.
However, I also tried some other 2h weapons and none of them did damage equal to 2x the listed value (using level 8 necro pet). If pets are subject to a damage cap, this could be why the other 18 damage weapon I gave pet still only hit for 14 a hit or so.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:45 PM
Developer

Actually, I remember this as well. It used to be that if you could equip a weapon that had a higher damage ratio that the pet's base damage it would use that instead. Lower damage weapons did not have this same effect.

Does this sound familiar, tristantio?

I don't know if it was limited to main hand but I don't think you will find a 1h weapon that does more damage in classic.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:45 PM
Planar Protector

Here's how weapons affected pet damage on live:

In classic, the weapon's damage had no effect and the pet would get the delay of the weapon given to him. This was obviously overpowered as you could give pets fine steel daggers to considerably lower their delay. This was nerfed but I can't remember if it was before Kunark or not. This classic functionality was never added to P99, although I've bug reported it back when the server opened. Same with Sword of Runes proccing on anything.

After the nerf, the weapon's damage would effect the pet and not the delay. This means that weapons don't really affect high level pets, but could help lower level pets. I'd always buy rusty halberds or whatever for level 1-4 pets for example, as it would allow them to hit for 20s. It's been this way since 2000-2001 to current on live.

lol wut
Old 03-29-2011, 11:47 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here's how weapons affected pet damage on live:

In classic, the weapon's damage had no effect and the pet would get the delay of the weapon given to him. This was obviously overpowered as you could give pets fine steel daggers to considerably lower their delay. This was nerfed but I can't remember if it was before Kunark or not. This classic functionality was never added to P99, although I've bug reported it back when the server opened. Same with Sword of Runes proccing on anything.

After the nerf, the weapon's damage would effect the pet and not the delay. This means that weapons don't really affect high level pets, but could help lower level pets. I'd always buy rusty halberds or whatever for level 1-4 pets for example, as it would allow them to hit for 20s. It's been this way since 2000-2001 to current on live.
Exactly as I remember it, I did not think my pet was being limited by a damage cap because I do not recall pets being subject to one at any point in time.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:47 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
As far as the damage that your pet does with weapons, it will take the higher max damage of either it's natural attacks, or the weapon damage x2. So if you give your pet a 6dmg weapon it will either have a max hit of 12 or it's natural max hit, depending on which is higher.

Weapons are mainly useful for processes and stat bonuses as it's hard to find a weapon worth giving to a pet that would up it's max damage.
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/foru...461&howmany=50

I know it's a thread from 2004, but I actually stopped playing live well before 2004 and the mechanics seem to not have changed.

Seriously, every time I see a fucking thread like this OH MYGOD THEY HAD 14 PEOPLE ITS OUR MOB LOL OURS OURS OURS YESSS I just want to fucking deathtouch the entire guild and despawn the mob.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:53 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via MSN to Jify

I have given my pet-summoning alts 2hers to essentially PL them. It's definitely classic 8)