Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 04:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
neph?
its a guild theyre dating azure guard i think
Old 05-22-2018, 04:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogappa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
TAKP by far the best and most classic EQ server

like it just feels 10000x more classic between the client, pathing code, mob running mechanics, limited boxing policy like what we had at the time instead of the make-believe single box history
I had two roommates during original era EQ, one two-boxed. He purchased the games, paid the monthly fees and had the extra computer capable of running eq in a playable sense.

I am not sure it was policy as much as it was cost prohibitive during a time when the internet and computers were not cool and paying all that for a game would have been seen as mental.

Edit: Oh yeah, paid for the phone lines and later the cable with router.
Last edited by Mblake1981; 05-22-2018 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 05-22-2018, 04:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogappa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
make-believe single box history
No beef with anything you said except this. Look, I boxed on live, as far back as Luclin. I had friends who physically (ie. using two computers next to each other at a cyber cafe) boxed even before that. I 100% agree that people boxed on live back in the day.

However, I also did this thing where you play and talk with other players in the game, like the ones in my guild, the ones in my pick-up groups, or just the ones I made friends with. If you did more than just box back in the day, and you actually interacted with other players, you too would know (like me) that most people didn't box.

Does this mean live had an anti-boxing policy or that no one boxed? No, like I just said I boxed. But I was in the minority, and again I know this because I talked to and played with other humans. If they were all boxing it would have been very apparent, but no back then a normal group was six characters AND six humans playing those characters.

If you like boxing, great. If you want to play on a server that allows boxing I would even go so far as to agree that there's real fun and skill in doing that, and I'd have nothing against you enjoying that server.

But let's not retroactively change history: the simple fact is that the majority of players on live played one character at a time until well after PoP. If you want a server that reminds you of your experience on live (up through PoP), it too has to ensure that the majority of the players single-box ... and the only way to have that and allow boxing is if you can be like SOE and charge for accounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonkie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
its a guild theyre dating azure guard i think
Ah; thanks, but I still <3 Anonymous ... if they don't throw me out of the guild for bashing TakP [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 05-22-2018 at 04:51 PM..
Old 05-22-2018, 05:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
yes but it feels more classic to have an option i had in classic than it does to arbitrarily not [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fair enough. Maybe I should word it this way: as a player, it was classic for you to have the option to box (if you could afford it) on a server where most people didn't box. So both the "having the option" part and the "most people don't box" parts are classic.

We will never get a server that has both parts, because the only way Live did it was by charging for accounts, and emulated servers can't do that. So if you want to re-experience classic EverQuest you have a choice of which is more important to you: getting to play two characters in an unclassic world, or getting the world you remember from classic but only getting to play one character at a time in it.

For me I'd happily trade the time I spent boxing on live for things like being able to group with five other people, but if the majority of what you did on live was multi-box by yourself then I 100% understand how boxing is the "more classic" option for you.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 05-22-2018 at 05:10 PM..
Old 05-22-2018, 05:11 PM
Orc

Takp is awesome. I moved over about 8 months ago and pretty much never looked back. I'm a pretty casual player and it took me about 6 months to level my trio to 60. Since then I've still been keeping busy with quests (hello Chardok revamp and 8th shawl).

As a whole, the server is 100x more friendly than P99. My first day there I said in /ooc that I was new to the server and was greeted by many people welcoming me, throwing free gear my way to get me started. It's really awesome how welcoming everyone is to newcomers. Free starting gear is doubt a huge part of what enabled Savok to level up so quickly.... I know I personally loaned him a fungi for the first few levels and several others loaned him plenty as well.

What really annoyed me about p99 was the toxic, overly competitive raid scene. It's like there was never a break from inter-guild bickering, training, poopsocking, etc. TAKP has none of that. Raid mobs are done on rotation, there are no guild rivalries, everybody helps everybody else, etc. Seriously, I don't know what the TAKP people did differently to make it that way but it's a night/day difference from p99 and it is SO refreshing.

As for the allegations about the server being a "loot pinata", it's probably a product of the lower population, to be honest. There's just more loot to go around. But I wouldn't say it's easymode by any means.... the mobs still hit just as hard and respawn at the same rate. Just because the high end isn't bloated like P99 doesn't mean it's easy. I play EQ to develop my character and try new challenges. In 8 months, I haven't gotten to the point where I feel like I've "beaten" the game in its current state, and Luclin is just around the corner. So there's still plenty to keep you busy.

Savok single boxes whereas many others double or triple box. So of course he's going to have really good gear.... when stuff drops from raids, he's not splitting his DKP between 3 toons. We keep pretty busy with our raid schedule, having ToV all to ourselves every 4 weeks. On the other weeks, we down ST (warders will never go away because The Sleeper couldn't be woken on original AK server), Tormax/Statue/Aow, Yeli, Dain, CT, Ring wars, VP, etc. It's also not hard to imagine how he was able to kill "every" mob already since all he's had to do is stick around for a full rotation to see them all.

So yeah, take a lower population server and look at how much raiding we do and it's not hard to see how the gear seems to fall better over there.

If it doesn't seem like your cup of tea, that's fine. P99 has a great thing going on and I'm happy for any chance I can get to relive this game. But I would encourage everyone to try it out first and then form their own opinion. We'd be happy to have you.
Last edited by Walex; 05-22-2018 at 05:15 PM..
Old 05-22-2018, 05:28 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I never said he'd beaten the game in 3 months
gee, could have fooled me

Quote:
I don't want a game that ends after 3 months
Quote:
If you want to play on a server with a /levelmeto 60 command and you enjoy "beating" it in a couple months, then great.
Quote:
in THREE MONTHS they both level up and kill almost every raid mob in the game! (And then originally I mistakenly thought "every raid mob" included all the Luclin ones too, but I've since been corrected.)

Now do you see where my perception came from?
No, I don't.

It's not hard to level to 55 in 3 months, on project 1999 or anywhere. TAKP has a 20% exp bonus and a generous group exp bonus, (both were EQMac features) which speeds up the process. (and yes, boxing. I wish we had gone 2 box, but it was out of my control)

On p99 you're not getting into a top tier guild at level 55 perhaps, which monopolize content; but p99 has cut-throat competition unlike what live servers had back in the day. TAKP is lowish pop with rotations, so guilds are much more likely to recruit people not at the level cap yet. So some guy achieves level 55, joins a raid guild, and sees raid content. I'm pretty sure in the year 2001, raid guilds were adding people who weren't level 60 yet. Incidentally my old server, Druzzil Ro, HAD ROTATIONS during Velious so guilds were rotating all raid content. I can even link you the old schedules if you'd like to see them.

Combat statistics, mechanics and spawn timers are very carefully researched and implemented-- we're not some ez-mode server in that regard, either.

If you really want to savor the early to mid level game, then P99 is probably a better choice due to the era we're emulating. I don't deny this. Saying somebody 'beat the game' in 3 months on TAKP is just trolling though.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Fair enough. Maybe I should word it this way: as a player, it was classic for you to have the option to box (if you could afford it) on a server where most people didn't box. So both the "having the option" part and the "most people don't box" parts are classic.
A cheap laptop off craigslist can probably run two active characters at a time now, something not possible to my knowledge in era.

I never heard of or knew any players on Bristlebane that boxed more than 2. Never heard of 3+ Box and you are starting to miss the point of an MMORPG, which I agree the time and feel of it is gone and can't be recaptured no matter if its 1 box or 20.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:36 PM
Planar Protector

I started to respond to your post, then realized if you'd even tried to read mine instead of just cherry-picking quotes out of context I wouldn't need to, so why bother making a new post you'll just mis-read?

But I will say it's weird how many TakP players spend their time hanging out in a P99 forum.

Old 05-22-2018, 05:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake1981 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I never heard of or new any players on Bristlebane that boxed more than 2. Never heard of 3+ Box and you are starting to miss the point of an MMORPG, which I agree the time and feel of it is gone and can't be recaptured no matter if its 1 box or 20.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] So as it turns out I played on Bristlebane, and I did (rarely) triple box.

I say rarely because between EQ's memory usage (and natural flakiness), and then EQW's added memory usage, running three instances was ... sub-optimal, to put it mildly.

So I didn't do it often or for very long, but there were occasionally times when I did. Plus those friends I mentioned, the ones who played at a cyber cafe (well gaming center, but same difference) also played on Bristlebane. They were like half of Club Fu, if you remember that guild, and at times they would "triple-box" (although it was more of a casual "keep your friend's characters going while he goes to the bathroom" thing than a "run an optimized trio of characters together at once" thing).

But I think the fact that you never even heard of it just reinforces how rare it was.

Last edited by loramin; 05-22-2018 at 05:46 PM..
Old 05-22-2018, 05:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] So as it turns out I played on Bristlebane, and I did (rarely) triple box.

I say rarely because between EQ's memory usage (and natural flakiness), and then EQW's added memory usage, running three instances was ... sub-optimal, to put it mildly.

So I didn't do it often or for very long, but there were occasionally times when I did. Plus those friends I mentioned, the ones who played at a cyber cafe (well gaming center, but same difference) also played on Bristlebane. They were like half of Club Fu, if you remember that guild, and at times they would "triple-box" (although it was more of a casual "keep your friend's characters going while he goes to the bathroom" thing than a "run an optimized trio of characters together at once" thing).

But I think the fact that you never even heard of it just reinforces how rare it was.
News to me. Still wasn't aware of any in era. I remember FU, I remember the all necromancer guild <Clan Macabre>

But if that is what counts and triple boxing then I could say I quad boxed while one roommate was using the restroom and the other was making himself something to eat.. but no, I don't consider that boxing and it was a damn headache jumping from my machine to Shaun's then over to Art's two rigs.

*remembers the heat in that computer room with 4 machines running and three guys*