Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 04:46 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by YendorLootmonkey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This.

We didn't know this back in 1999. Ten years later, now we do. SOE fixed it when we found out, so as to not make it more difficult for hybrids to find groups. Now we have a unique situation where we know the penalty is shared but it is not fixed. This condition did not happen in classic.
yeah so what's the point in keeping the broken, unfair, unpleasing to everyone, later modified, xp sharing method in the current game ? It was corrected later. Since now we know better from the beginning, wouldn't it be sensible to correct right now ?
Old 07-02-2010, 04:49 AM
Sarnak

Send a message via ICQ to Qaedain Send a message via AIM to Qaedain Send a message via MSN to Qaedain

No, because fixing it wouldn't be classic.

(In b4 "but P99 isn't really classic")
Old 07-02-2010, 06:18 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaedain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

"Knowing about the hybrid XP penalty being shared across the group and it not being corrected" isn't classic.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 07-02-2010, 08:21 AM
Aviak

Face it, there are so many little things that will make this game NEVER be 100% classic, why not just admit that it is a game with a classic feel?

On top of that, why not make it so people enjoy playing the game. It is one thing to get penalties that you yourself have to live with because you made the choice yourself, why make it worse and have it shared with others?

Broken record? Beating a dead horse? I think it just doesn't make sense. Someone earlier posted "hey if anything Hybrids are getting buffed because the xp will be faster". NOT True if they aren't allowed in the good groups with people that know about the shared penalty. It is bad when HARD HEADED Sony figures out that this is discrimination, so they change it, because that is what it is. Sorry Troll SK's aren't allowed to ride in the front of the BUS, must sit in the back. (There is your classic for you)
Old 07-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Aviak

For those that haven't seen it here's how the original EQ team felt about experience penalties. Yeah it came out during Velious, but if you read the whole article you'll see the solution wasn't trivial to implement.

Quote:
Experience Penalties - Resolutions

Over the past week the EverQuest team has been considering experience penalties in all their forms. We had many meetings where the issue was hotly debated from both sides. We had to consider not only the effect on the individual player, but also the effect of any changes on the game as a whole. Eventually, we nearly unanimously decided the following:

1. Race-based penalties are appropriate. An ogre, for instance, does indeed make a better warrior than a halfling. It is not so little that the faction and size problems make up for it, and not so much that it is really unbalancing at upper levels, but enough that the penalty should apply. Secondly, the penalty is not so severe (compared with class-based penalties) that it would cause groups to break up on the journey from one to sixty due to level differences.

2. Class-based penalties are not appropriate. Classes are roughly equivalent in power throughout the level ranges, and the versatility does not make up for that penalty. In fact, the majority of changes made to classes in the name of balance in the last year were based on the assumption that, at the high end, each class should still be roughly as needed and balanced as any other.

3. Penalties, in any form, should not be shared with the group. Players know that no one class is immensely more powerful/valuable than another, and as such it is not fair to ask them to share a burden. If classes with penalties were really more powerful or valuable than the other classes, then it might be right, but that isn't the case here. Furthermore, sharing of penalties causes people to reject potential group members on the basis of them "sucking" too much experience.

4. We're going to fix it.

5. Class-based experience bonuses (which warriors and rogues get) are also not appropriate, as they cannot be so if penalties are not. However, we've decided to leave this as-is, since the bonus is not so severe as to be unbalancing. Bottom line: we don't feel the bonus is enough to warrant a fix that could be interpreted as a 'nerf'.
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/edit...rs_letter.html
Old 07-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaedain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

so the philosophy is not to correct known bugs and know issues "because that wouldn't be classic" ? even though those were eventually amended during Classic era by the developpers themselves ? Seems a bit tough to me.

Don't get me wrong, I am really thankful for the wonderful works the devs and the community have put so far and for what will be coming in the future.

This or I'm completely misguided (which is also possible)
Old 07-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Aviak

Thank you Landis, I was trying to find that post.

I think their team explains it best, and it makes sense. I have no idea why this team is being so hard headed against this.

I am not even a class that is effected by the change, but I do play this class to group. Come on guys, listen to reason.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Aviak

I really dont think you're going to change their mind on this, its like asking them to add pok books or the bazaar to them. They just aren't going to do it they want to follow the time line of the game as closely as they can the things that suck and the things that are great. Any changes they dont put in is simply because the fix is probably clientside so they have to work with what they got.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Fire Giant

This is a classic server. That means where possible, given client limitations that exist, they will endeavour to make things as classic as possible. If you can confirm certain things that aren't classic and can be changed, post it and let the devs know.

You came to play here knowing it was going to be classic. Don't cry for it to be classic when convenient. Newsflash: Classic EQ wasn't convenient.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Kobold

Gotta be honest I feel like punching myself in the nuts for making a ranger twink now. Oh well got him to 41, maybe time to retire him. Time to go back to my overpowered nerco.

Holmes 50 Nerco DA
Gretzky 41 Ranger DA (Probaly retired)
Closed Thread