Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by astarothel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is a classic server. That means where possible, given client limitations that exist, they will endeavour to make things as classic as possible. If you can confirm certain things that aren't classic and can be changed, post it and let the devs know.

You came to play here knowing it was going to be classic. Don't cry for it to be classic when convenient. Newsflash: Classic EQ wasn't convenient.
I don't even play a hybrid and have no intention of doing so. I don't expect to change anyone's mind, but it doesn't mean we can't have a conversation about it.

The fact is experience penalties are a relic from D&D where classes were not balanced at high levels, and that's not the case in EQ. It's actually the opposite, warriors are the preferred tanks at max level despite having an experience bonus.
Last edited by Landis; 07-02-2010 at 11:04 AM..
Old 07-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Skeleton

I can see the argument behind things like, no PoK books, no bazaar, and other non-classic things that weren't good for the community and made the game easier in a bad way. Implementing something like this xp nerf that hurts various classes seems counter productive. Race xp penalties are logical because there is a real disparity between certain races. But lets look at rangers and rogues whose primary role in groups and on raids is to deal damage. A ranger isnt near as good at dealing damage as a rogue. Should a ranger really take 45-50%(50% compared to halfllings) more experience to level than a rogue, who is much better at their primary role? This isnt a classic server, its a limited progression server with a classic feel. All things classic werent always good. We should try to make this server as community friendly as possible, while still maintaining that classic feel. Screwing over a subset of classes by making them unattractive to groups, while not totally "classic", dosent seem like the right way to go.

-Morgn

p.s. Thanks for the hard work Devs. I've enjoyed playing and appreciate the time and effort you all put in.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Aviak

In my opinion hybrid penalties should be in. It should be shared with the group. That is the way it was. I am sure hell levels were not shared in the group. I also don't know if they are now on p1999 or not. I said many times that racial penalties bonuses/weren't working on p1999. Everyone attacked and said I was wrong... NOW WHO WAS WRONG :P

People are going to notice their xp going slower. Because before lightblue mobs were giving almost as much xp as yellow/red mobs. Since the change lightblue mobs give 1/8 of what they used to give or there abouts. I like it. I hated that a red mob gave me 30perc more xp than a lightblue mob. At least this is what it was like in classic. Now you have to take camps more in your level range.

Instead of massive killing lightblues for the best xp. Like a LDC in solb used to give the same xp as a lightblue kobold. Now the LDC gives the same xp it used to give, but the lightblue kobold gives almost no xp.

I also remember grouping with a lvl 35 on my lvl 49. It took maybe 5 hours for the lvl 35 to get 1 yellow of xp. The majority of the xp was given to the highest level in the group. Depending on how big a gap it was. This change is great and just like classic.

So overall people are seeing a major drop in their xp per hour. Either it be the mobs are too easy for them , or sharing the hybrid penalty with their groupie. Or grouped with someone too high lvl. It is all classic and I love it! : )

Thanks Bum! for all the work
Old 07-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by astarothel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is a classic server. That means where possible, given client limitations that exist, they will endeavour to make things as classic as possible. If you can confirm certain things that aren't classic and can be changed, post it and let the devs know.

You came to play here knowing it was going to be classic. Don't cry for it to be classic when convenient. Newsflash: Classic EQ wasn't convenient.
If the class based XP penalties are good enough to be in classic then the old school pathing exploits and such are good enough to be in. I understand the removal of duping exploits as that would break the server, but I don't really understand the developer stance, and this goes for all games not just P1999, of remove any mechanic or bug that gives players an advantage but take your sweet time removing any mechanic or bug that hinders players.

I honestly love the server. I'm having more fun this time around than I did when I first rolled up my rogue on live back in 1999. The above is just something that has always bothered me though.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I hate to say it, but no matter how good someone is at their class, how nice they are, if their direct grouping causes me to almost double my time to get the same amount of xp as someone else, I would want to group someone else instead.
Please take the time to understand all the math involved before making statements like this. Almost all combinations of classes and levels need to kill no more than 9%-16% more mobs to level when a Troll SK is added to the group (and that is the worst penalty hybrid). Rangers and paladins are even less of a burden. This is no where near double your time. In fact, some people might argue that below level 37 an SK is more than 16% better than a warrior as a tank due to aggro control. YMMV, but "double my time" is just useless hyperbole that contributes to stigmatizing certain race/class combos.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Aviak

I think the two biggest things slowing down XP like someone said is grouping with people too high for you and light blues giving the xp they're supposed to. The penalties dont seem to be that bad in groups just lvl 30's grouped with lvl 40's and fighting kobolds when you're 45 etc.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumesh Uhl'Belk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Please take the time to understand all the math involved before making statements like this. Almost all combinations of classes and levels need to kill no more than 9%-16% more mobs to level when a Troll SK is added to the group (and that is the worst penalty hybrid). Rangers and paladins are even less of a burden. This is no where near double your time. In fact, some people might argue that below level 37 an SK is more than 16% better than a warrior as a tank due to aggro control. YMMV, but "double my time" is just useless hyperbole that contributes to stigmatizing certain race/class combos.
In Kunark my old group contained a Ranger and an Iksar SK. Our group used to play from 12-16 hours per night only to get outleveled by groups that had no hybrids and would only play 6-8 hours per night. We always wondered what was going wrong, as we were chain pulling constantly, killing quick, and not yeilding the same results.

Later a Guide friend of mine told me why (before it was announced about the shared xp penalty). I thought about what the other groups had as far as classes / races. It then all made sense, and now it just seems like deja-vu all over again.

Levels 1-50 might not be that bad to share the penalty, but spending 30+ hours in level 56 because of a certain group make-up that can be avoided by only grouping with certain race/class combo's makes sense to me.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
This is retarded. People knowing about the class/race penalties being shared with the group and thus being discriminatory about who to invite into their groups WAS NOT CLASSIC.

It is a artifact of being able to play from the beginning knowing what we know now about Everquest mechanics, and is not "part of the classic feel".

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 07-02-2010, 04:57 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by YendorLootmonkey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It is a artifact of being able to play from the beginning knowing what we know now about Everquest mechanics, and is not "part of the classic feel".
I'm not sure if this is actually true.

Keep in mind this was changed after velious launched, and post Kunark content. It does play a classic factor. Whether its fair or not etc aside, it directly influenced how kunark played out on every server, unknowingly or not.

There wasn't a hybrid in every group. That changed much later when they were buffed up, given 40% more mana, and a variety of other things.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Banned

Why are there still things like linked items and 7-day rez timers in the game?

That has to be some of the EASIEST classic fixes to do.

I'm just dunno lol rofl.
Closed Thread