Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 04:10 AM
Planar Protector

I don't think that is a realistic scenario. There is an awful lot of different spots in Rathe Moountains, and each area is pretty segregated. At worse you can always charm Quid and wear him down by sending him in against a bunch of greens. The enchanter Gypsy may be a good shout, as you can send him in against her pet, then back him off, mem blur the gypsie so she resummons and send him in again.

There are definitely a lot of potential attrition tactics you could use.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 04-30-2021, 04:42 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think that is a realistic scenario. There is an awful lot of different spots in Rathe Moountains, and each area is pretty segregated. At worse you can always charm Quid and wear him down by sending him in against a bunch of greens. The enchanter Gypsy may be a good shout, as you can send him in against her pet, then back him off, mem blur the gypsie so she resummons and send him in again.

There are definitely a lot of potential attrition tactics you could use.
Oh, yeah that is true. I didn't think about charming the rare mob I was after. My worry was that I'd have to go off to the other side of the zone, try to find a hill giant or something, then come back and hope that the mob wasn't already snagged.

I suppose it's just going to take a mindset shift. I'm too used to seeing mob, killing mob.
Old 04-30-2021, 05:12 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Another question just popped into my head. Say I'm out in the open world and I see a decently challenging rare mob. For the sake of this scenario, let's say it's this guy who drops a valuable enchanter gear piece. I'm by myself, nothing really to charm nearby for miles. This guy would be a challenge for my level. How does an enchanter kill him?
You've got your animation too. For a named mob, make sure you get a high lvl animation, haste him, slow the mob and use any spare mana to stun or nuke/dot him down. Can also Rune yourself or pet if needed.
Old 04-30-2021, 05:19 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrombosis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You've got your animation too. For a named mob, make sure you get a high lvl animation, haste him, slow the mob and use any spare mana to stun or nuke/dot him down. Can also Rune yourself or pet if needed.
How reliable are the animations at higher levels? Was curious about that, if I needed to go farm a lower level dungeon or something I was wondering if it would be possible to just let the animation do stuff instead of bothering with the charm routine if, say, a dungeon was 20 levels lower than me. Like I did with my mage in Upper Guk the other night.
Old 04-30-2021, 06:28 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How reliable are the animations at higher levels? Was curious about that, if I needed to go farm a lower level dungeon or something I was wondering if it would be possible to just let the animation do stuff instead of bothering with the charm routine if, say, a dungeon was 20 levels lower than me. Like I did with my mage in Upper Guk the other night.
They are generally fine for that.
Old 04-30-2021, 06:43 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrombosis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
They are generally fine for that.
Glad to hear, thanks. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-02-2021, 09:34 AM
Planar Protector

How has no one linked to this yet?

https://wiki.project1999.com/Xornns_Enchanter_Guide
Old 05-02-2021, 09:57 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrocat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How has no one linked to this yet?

https://wiki.project1999.com/Xornns_Enchanter_Guide
Both Xornn's and Loraen's guides are good. With Xornn's though I don't like how he little value he puts on the lull line. In my experience, it's been much more useful than he would have you believe. Of course, you need to have a contingency plan for if you get a crit resist. But maybe I've just gotten lucky with how few crit resists I've gotten idk.

I also don't agree with Xornn's thoughts about hasting/slowing while charm soloing, at least not at higher levels. In my experience, hasting/slowing usually isn't enough to let your charmed pet get through 2 instead of 1. So it ends up with you spending a lot of mana for little to no benefit (unless you're just trying to kill 1 or 2 targets and dip out of there). For general xp'ing, I feel it's best when the mobs beat each other to low enough health equally so you can break and throw a nuke on both for full xp. If I had a healer duo, then I'd consider hasting.
Old 05-02-2021, 02:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I also don't agree with Xornn's thoughts about hasting/slowing while charm soloing, at least not at higher levels. In my experience, hasting/slowing usually isn't enough to let your charmed pet get through 2 instead of 1. So it ends up with you spending a lot of mana for little to no benefit (unless you're just trying to kill 1 or 2 targets and dip out of there). For general xp'ing, I feel it's best when the mobs beat each other to low enough health equally so you can break and throw a nuke on both for full xp. If I had a healer duo, then I'd consider hasting.
^ This

Unless there is a significant level advantage of like 3+, giving a charmed pet an AC buff, haste, even an offhand weapon, generally isn't worth the effort unless you plan to blur heal it every third kill, and that's with slowing the targets too. And slowing every mob it attacks and stopping to wait for blur heals just isn't an efficient use of time or mana.

Like you said, it's better to just break and kill both, or ideally the pet will come out much worse to the point where you can charm the surviving mob as a new pet and repeat. The only time I pimp out a charmed pet is when I plan to target things that are far below it in level to where it can kill 5+ before I'd have to blur/heal it
Old 05-02-2021, 05:57 PM
Large Rat

New Enchanter here. Just started around a month ago and reached 31 today.

I haven't touched charm at all and have soloed all the way here using only the enchanter pet.

I tried charming the crocs at 18 and it was terrible. Constant charm breaks and adds from ghouls, sand giants, that wandering diseased man, etc. It was a nightmare and I was gating out constantly. I went back to the animation and didn't touch charm again.

I've been doing guards ever since, and with a camped spawn, there's no advantage to using a charmed pet really, since you'll have enough mana by the time it respawns allowing you to nuke it down past 50% with the animation.

When you use an animation, you can haste it, give it weapons, and go AFK all with 100% safety. A hasted animation is still pretty solid DPS at very little mana cost. You don't have any of the constant maintenance of recharming, retashing, etc. It's a totally fine way to play even if it's not 100% optimal.

I'll pick up charming when I feel it's better (and get a GGR) but so far, don't see the hype.

Also, the charm soloing thing wasn't even a thing people did much in classic. You can take an Enchanter all the way up and never mess with it if you don't want to. Not saying you should, as you'd be missing out on a very powerful aspect of your class, but if you think it's too much for you, you can still enjoy the class just fine without it. Nothing wrong with leveling "slower". Once you get to 60 it doesn't matter how you got there.
Last edited by ghost wolves; 05-02-2021 at 06:25 PM..
Closed Thread