Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 10-24-2020, 01:06 AM
Kobold

Huh. I crashed twice today. Ill have to try WineD3D. dgvoodoo sadly didnt help me.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:09 PM
Kobold

So interestingly enough. I didn't crash with WineD3D but my game client did something very funky at the exact spot where Wineq2 typically crashes.

The screen went completely black but I could hear the environment around me. Flipping in and out of full screen recovered it. I forgot all about this behavior when switching to wineq2. It seems that whatever is happening at this moment is causing wineq2 to crash.

At least with wined3d things are recoverable. So mid charm kite hopefully I don't die to a client crash.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:25 PM
Orc

Did anyone ever find a solution for this? I'm in exactly the same boat as beaon.

There's hundreds of recommendations out there around compatibility mode, using WinEQ, EQPlayNice, disabling mip mapping, setting the max FPS to match the monitor, setting the refresh rate in the INI, etc etc etc. None of these work -- and also, it seems like it's only a few of us that encounter the issue in this specific way (random times, not when alt+tab or alt+enter'ing).

I'm also using an RTX 2070 and another person who is also having this issue is using one as well. I'm starting to suspect faulty GPU or driver here.
Old 02-05-2021, 02:28 PM
Aviak

I have the RTX2070 and had done a bunch of stuff, moving EQ into the root directory, trying to run it using different graphics settings, etc. The issue was so random it was very frustrating to find what I thought was working did not actually work.

The solution that worked for me was the DGVOODOO, which involved downloading a couple of small DLL files and putting them in your EQ folder. When you run the game there is a watermark that says DGVOODOO in the lower right corner of your window if it is working correctly. Never had an issue since then.
Old 02-05-2021, 03:12 PM
Fire Giant

Set your windowed and full screen modes to 20 pixels less than maximum for height and width.
Old 02-05-2021, 03:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesstone714 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have the RTX2070 and had done a bunch of stuff, moving EQ into the root directory, trying to run it using different graphics settings, etc. The issue was so random it was very frustrating to find what I thought was working did not actually work.

The solution that worked for me was the DGVOODOO, which involved downloading a couple of small DLL files and putting them in your EQ folder. When you run the game there is a watermark that says DGVOODOO in the lower right corner of your window if it is working correctly. Never had an issue since then.
You can remove the watermark in the config file or using the dgvoodoocpl utility (point it to your eq folder).

-Mcoy
Old 02-05-2021, 06:40 PM
Kobold

For me DGVOODOO did not solve the problem.
Old 02-05-2021, 06:40 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Set your windowed and full screen modes to 20 pixels less than maximum for height and width.

Less than the maximum what? Less than the full screen resolution? Or less than what my monitor allows?
Old 02-09-2021, 11:26 PM
Planar Protector

I had this problem on one of my old laptops. It was a crappy onboard Intel Graphics Chipset thing. It always crashed when it tried to draw certain spell particles (specifically AE spell particles, so maybe it was trying to draw more than it could at once). Once I disabled particle effects in options, it never happened again on that PC.
Last edited by Ravager; 02-09-2021 at 11:28 PM..
Old 02-10-2021, 01:18 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Less than the maximum what? Less than the full screen resolution? Or less than what my monitor allows?
less than full screen resolution, or whatever resolution you use natively. However I tried this suggestion myself and I still get reset device errors anyways. Seems to happen most often when turning the camera too fast in either third person or first.