Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 12:47 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchWrath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
hi everyone,

I am going to be playing with my brother who played EQ briefly in 2001 and a childhood friend who has never played. I have been playing all flavors of EQ since the original Beta. In order to keep things simple, we are going to start in Faydwer. I was wondering if anyone had a trio suggestion for Faydwer knowing that there will be one experienced player (me) and 2 total newbies. Also would you recommend green or blue server? It seems blue would be quite empty for us to level and there is no class xp penalty but green might be a more authentic experience for them.

Thanks!

pro tip: people who are not nostalgic for classic everquest, will not like classic everquest 9/10 times. Would recommend blue for compromised streamlined experience whilst still being mostly classic

but besides that, i agree with naethyn. Just bring the holy trinity whereever you go and you automatically win the game 1-59.99
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Last edited by enjchanter; 01-19-2021 at 12:49 AM..
Old 01-19-2021, 03:13 AM
Sarnak

a duo is more susceptible to incorrect composition. any trio will work, even 3 clerics
Old 01-19-2021, 04:18 AM
Fire Giant

Honestly, I think adding druid even though it's suboptimal in the long run is a good idea just for ease of transportation and it being a decent class to hand to a complete noob.

Given the restrictions, necro/druid/mage would be my pick.

You get 2 overpowered pets, sow, ports, 2 types of charms, 2 types of lulls, harmony, ivu, invis, fd and all the other awesome necro utility. I'd suggest you play the necro of course.

As for server, Green is much more interesting imho. For example, you can actually farm gear that matters as you level up, and you'll run into people along the way.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:22 AM
Planar Protector

I'd pick a solo class because if the other 2 people haven't played EQ before.... you are going to end up alone after about a week (terrible UI/clunky play/unforgiving mechanics/confusing world/no tutorial)
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 01-19-2021, 08:41 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardp1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd pick a solo class because if the other 2 people haven't played EQ before.... you are going to end up alone after about a week (terrible UI/clunky play/unforgiving mechanics/confusing world/no tutorial)
Hence my recommendation of 3x iksar monk / necro / shaman on blue for a more forgiving experience for people completely new to EQ. It really is a stellar trio...and the starting FoB ---> Kurns is a great intro.

Put the guy most likely to stop playing on the necro and if he quits you still have monk + shaman. If 2 people quit the guy has 3 strong / capable classes to pick from.
Last edited by Toxigen; 01-19-2021 at 09:07 AM..
Old 01-19-2021, 10:15 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowaGamer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nah, Necro Necro Bard. The bard means unlimited Mana + Speed for easy kiteing. Bard mana Regen, HP Regen for the Necros = unlimited Mana. 2 Necros alone are savage. The Bard is worth much much more than a 3rd Necro.
This trio sounds terribad for 55+ named content. Most definitely swap out a Necro for either a shaman or cleric.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:42 AM
Large Rat

While i cant speak to the validity of this combo on p99, it is what i found myself in on live from mid kunark thru GoD+.

Druid, Enchanter, SK.

Druid allows for ensnares on charms, this allows a safety net for the enchanter to keep charms hasted. SK is for pulling and tanking just long enough to ensure charms have aggros, or the occasional bad repop/pather is mez/rooted. Since the SK isnt fully tanking and the enchanter is squishier druid heals/hots were enough. Depending on the zone you can be running 2 charms. You also have SoW, ports, and clarity. Along with fd corpse retrieval if things go terrible.

The 2 downsides, since you are enchantered out you would need to trust someone else to play that role. 2nd Gnome SK's arent available until Luclin so whoever plays the SK would need to travel.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:43 AM
Planar Protector

Just roll 3 paladins obviously.

Can break up camps and heal each other. Good to go
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 01-19-2021, 01:43 PM
Kobold

If you don't want to play enc, I'd have someone else play enc. They are just too good.

And I'm going to go against the thread and say necro/necro isn't great because their dots don't stack. Necro/necro is good in charming undead situations but necro/mage would be better in most situations if you want two pet classes, imo. But there aren't enough gnome necros for sure! (only fey race that can roll necro)

I'd go Pal/Enc/Clr personally if you want all three to have starting cities in Fey, but on blue you'd find porters would be happy to take 3 noobs from around norrath and help bring them together for free.
Old 01-19-2021, 01:54 PM
Planar Protector

Kawhi I think Pal / Enc / Clr is cool but all 3 of these classes have the same CC spells which makes me think an SK would be better, if not a monk or warriro for the melee.
Lost but not forgotten.
Closed Thread