Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 07:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimring [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I never said I wanted to just venture into a zone and have a camp waiting for me. As I said in my post, we split off to check all the zones. I only have from 6pm-10pm CST to play on a good night. Those are the playtimes I have to work with and I had similar times on Live and never had an issue with finding at least one spot for a pre-formed group to camp. Granted, I never played Classic, I came in after Kunark launched.

I would be happy to kill 3-4 mobs, but predetermined camps on here keep me from doing that. For example, in LGuk, Exe/Cav/Sav/Sage is all one camp and Lord/AM or Hand/AM is one camp. Those were not camps on Live. If I go in there and try to contest any of those rooms, I get called a KSer, a camp stealer, or get trained. Then a GM has to get involved.
You can split the lower tower up, especially if your group simply wants to sit in only one of those rooms. I have seen two groups share Exe/Sage & Sav/Cav or some variation of splitting the named in half. Reach out to who is already at those camps but they should not be allowed to take the entire section of multiple named if you just want a small piece.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:12 PM
Banned

kunark addressed the lack of monsters in classic with huge wide open zones with endless things to kill in all level ranges. Kunark everquest is amazing honestly. I hope velious never comes out on green.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:44 AM
Skeleton

Eh, say what you want but 1000+ pop prime times weren't classic as the servers couldn't really hold them, it was the max for the time (I think 1.2k was the max but I can't find my source). I remember them splitting all the 1k servers back in the day into about 600 peak each. I think people seem to think in terms of today's numbers and so 500 seems 'low' but for classic it was pretty normal. I'm not sure why people think it was 1k plus people but it really wasn't.

Numbers only got really crazy towards Kunark, but they had a bajillion servers by then anyway.

Definitely should have waited a bit imo. I don't really care either way, since I'm a filthy casual but its the CB peeps and Unrest campers gunna have a really hard time. Basically any zone with high ZEM is going to be a shit show this weekend. Yay!
Last edited by lesell; 01-23-2020 at 02:45 AM.. Reason: clarity
Old 01-23-2020, 11:07 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Eh, say what you want but 1000+ pop prime times weren't classic as the servers couldn't really hold them, it was the max for the time (I think 1.2k was the max but I can't find my source). I remember them splitting all the 1k servers back in the day into about 600 peak each. I think people seem to think in terms of today's numbers and so 500 seems 'low' but for classic it was pretty normal. I'm not sure why people think it was 1k plus people but it really wasn't.

Numbers only got really crazy towards Kunark, but they had a bajillion servers by then anyway.

Definitely should have waited a bit imo. I don't really care either way, since I'm a filthy casual but its the CB peeps and Unrest campers gunna have a really hard time. Basically any zone with high ZEM is going to be a shit show this weekend. Yay!
You and I were obviously playing different games back in 99-00. Servers bottomed out at 600 maaaaybe, sometimes, around 4am. Peak times were always over 1000, often considerably over. A server that peaked at 600 would have been merged into another server later on in the game's life, when numbers actually hit that.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Respectfully, this is completely incorrect. We (or I guess I should say "they" since the CSR team didn't make the final call on server splits) never split servers because they had hit 1k. Server splits were for much higher numbers than 1k in the pre-Kunark days.

For example, Fenin Ro was split in 1999 when it was hitting over two thousand on average. 1,000 was not considered too many people and servers frequently had significantly more than 1,000 people pre-Kunark. There were maybe a couple servers that averaged under 1k, and those were a very low percentage of the servers. You're simply completely wrong.

By Velious of course, 2k+ servers were common and were not split since the world was bigger.

Now, we can argue that 1.4k-1.5k today is too much for a pre-Kunark server because of various things (e.g., ZEM zones existing, everyone being able to get to the 45-50 range really fast, etc.), but that's a completely separate topic. As a general matter, P99 Green is not larger than most servers in 1999.
Closed Thread