Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 04:11 AM
Planar Protector

Still amazing to me that P99 uses Takp as a baseline for what was classic on a server that was built with an entirely different code for Mac.

The coding was so bad for the live version of takp they couldn't even figure out how to implement a mouse wheel and Quarm literally never died because it was so broken and they couldn't, or didn't want to, fix it.

Yet here we are getting changes from their old logs that are not even close to classic. Pretty sad the little amount of work the devs here do now and just rely on a server that literally had nothing in common we with classic servers.
Old 09-09-2021, 04:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Still amazing to me that P99 uses Takp as a baseline for what was classic on a server that was built with an entirely different code for Mac.

The coding was so bad for the live version of takp they couldn't even figure out how to implement a mouse wheel and Quarm literally
lmao i deleted where i stopped reading with cringe.

miss you OP. come often!
Old 09-09-2021, 04:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pretty sad the little amount of work the devs here do now
Yeah man, totally. Green server appeared out of thin air and all the time-gated quests and item drops were adjusted by an autonomous AI.

What an asshat thing to say to the people that make this place possible.
Old 09-09-2021, 04:32 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:

The coding was so bad for the live version of takp they couldn't even figure out how to implement a mouse wheel and Quarm literally never died because it was so broken and they couldn't, or didn't want to, fix it.

Yet here we are getting changes from their old logs that are not even close to classic. Pretty sad the little amount of work the devs here do now and just rely on a server that literally had nothing in common we with classic servers.
The research Torven did relies on parses and research taken on Live in 2003, not just on Mac server. There just wasn't much real parsing done before PoP era, I struggled to find any at all before Luclin. The tools and methods just weren't widely available and/or employed.

I agree with Torven as it happens. If you have hard data, you need to rely on hard data. Dev comments were so often wrong it isn't funny [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Their code was a mess. Listen to this interview with Scott Hartsman where alovingrobot talks about bringing in a new hire systems designer, and from nowhere / experience in the game, he schools a Live dev about how his code actually works on his first day:

https://youtu.be/h3sSjPJ7Xf4?t=5027
Old 09-09-2021, 07:06 AM
Kobold

I find these proposed p99 a real laughing joke most of the time. Yet, for some strange reason, against all classic proof or imagined proof. They are implemented.

I know the Verant/989/Sony coding is long lost and forgotten. More than likely hidden away in someone basement.

I truly believe, the original enchanter developers envisioned enchanter to be running around with maxed 255Cha. Just like raiders requiring 255MR and other resists.

Did the developers know or care if enchanters would be great solo'ers? Only the original developers would know for a fact. Enchanters are playing within the desired game mechanics, if you ask lots of p99er's.

How about this classic change, that to this day, still hasn't been introduced to p99.

Removal of the boat system in place for the instant translator system Sony introduced, that are still use on LIVE today 22 years later.

I bet, no one envisioned Live to be still going 22 years later or that there would be multiple emulator servers/p99 that are classic custom servers.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:58 AM
Banned

u guys who don't really contribute should be greatful for the opportunity to play on a more classic server run by people who truly believe and probably have some real evidence and at least require some evidence beyond 'oh enchanters were just so badass'

ironically enchanters can solo without charm just fine, they are still a bad ass class - and charm is still plenty usable for farming mobs 4 levels below them instead of 2 levels below them, and it's still usable for 2 levels below them they just need to pay attention and be a good enchanter instead of what passes for an enchanter on p99 lol

sit down and relax
Old 09-09-2021, 09:25 AM
Planar Protector

Watching Lowlo's videos this morning, all seem to be in the Velious era.

Old 09-09-2021, 11:21 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Development has not stopped since the server first opened.

'On a whim' is an unfair description of what modifying anything about charm would entail. Actually, the overwhelming majority of code changes are not simple. That is why game mechanics receive fewer modifications, and less often.

There are still open bug reports dating back 10 years of unresolved issues because specific, necessary details haven't been found in research or testing. Does that mean they won't ever change? Nope.

This hasn't changed though. From what it looks like, it should.

Since I've already typed some paragraphs, I will elaborate.

When there is a game mechanics issue, there are processes that need to be done prior to changing anything whatsoever. How does it currently function? How should it function? Is there evidence how it should function?

At this point, someone needs to sign up to code for hours or days to achieve the goal. They construct a rough idea of interpolation of desired effects based on existing data. Testing, testing, testing. Do the test results align with the goal? Refine, retest, retest, etc. Do the results of the change(s) adhere to the original goal?

If yes, respond to an existing bug thread and/or post a patch note. If no, scrap the idea, no one knows anything even happened, and the aforementioned perception of stability remains intact.

Here are some details outlined by Torven in an eqemulator thread if anyone cares:

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43370
You don't have to explain yourself.

The reality is, it's not just this project that has scores of ungrateful people. IT'S GAMERS. Being in video game production is just about one of the most thankless industries out there. People have been absolutely crying about how valve is killing counter-strike with indifference/incompetence for........ drum roll please.... 15 fucking years. 15 YEARS. And I mean long winded, frequent posts by a big part of the community. On every board. And then you have games like League of Legends and Dota, where everyone claims to hate the game and play it constantly. Basically, you can't win there. I worked with a gaming company that was trying to release new hardware... and the feedback was... just insane. People will always be bitching up a storm. Please do not take it personally, as most of us are extremely grateful for the time you and the other developers put in here.

On another note, Enchanter on p99 is by far the most fun, enticing, and challenging class i've played in any MMO ever. Pretty much the only time I play this game outside of raids anymore is just doing crazy things with my enchanter. Please keep that in mind and don't mega nerf encs [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Twochain; 09-09-2021 at 11:24 AM..
Old 09-09-2021, 11:26 AM
Fire Giant

If this project was originally planned to go to Luclin, I wonder if P99 would have "lost" one of its most active developers for a server that did.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twochain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The reality is, it's not just this project that has scores of ungrateful people. IT'S GAMERS. Being in video game production is just about one of the most thankless industries out there. People have been absolutely crying about how valve is killing counter-strike with indifference/incompetence for........ drum roll please.... 15 fucking years. 15 YEARS. And I mean long winded, frequent posts by a big part of the community. On every board. And then you have games like League of Legends and Dota, where everyone claims to hate the game and play it constantly. Basically, you can't win there.
And we wouldn't have it any other way.

Frank: "Fuck P99, I hate this damn game"
Bill: "Yeah, this shit sucks!"
Rabble: *Rabble Rabble Rabble P99 Is Bad!*

Mike: Hey don't you guys love P99?

Frank: "Yeah dude, best emulator for my favorite game."
Bill: "Yeah, love it."
Rabble: "Rabble Rabble Rabble Its The Best!"

Edit: i probably wont find much satisfaction in a game that doesn't provoke this behavior out of the players. After twenty years i finally got a clue.
Last edited by Mblake1981; 09-09-2021 at 11:46 AM..
Closed Thread