Starting the thread for it as suggested by Nilbog

Summary of combinations that start in SFG:
  1. Half Elf Ranger
  2. Half Elf Druid
  3. Human Ranger
  4. Human Druid
Old 08-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Sarnak

Pretty sure this is correct. As the trainer you have to turn the note into - is in Surefall.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Sarnak

Yep, that is correct. It was odd to me when I started that I first spawned in Qeynos and had to run all the way to Surefall to turn in my note. On live, we were always born in Surefall.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:29 PM
Banned

Half elf Ranger/druid's had the Choice of starting in kelethin OR Qeynos.
I remember this very clearly.

Well actually I don't understand why you have those notes in the game because those were not classic at all, Neither was the food on your person either.

When I started my half elf ranger back in 99 I clearly remember starting in Gfaydark(its why i fell in the love with the game)

and the only thing i had on me was a short sword. That was it.

I really don't think they started that note thing till either kunark or velious. I know it was introduced Very early, as well as the food supplies but neither were on the initial release.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:35 PM
Sarnak

You might have caught a bug but the guild notes where always there, along with a starting weapon and the book for the priest of Discord.

But yes, a half elf could start in Kelethin.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:11 AM
Developer

Send a message via AIM to Aeolwind Send a message via MSN to Aeolwind Send a message via Yahoo to Aeolwind

I think what Miles is referring to is Karana druids/rangers starting in SFG vs Qeynos. Ranger1980 falls in with my recollection. The original starting place for Karana was in Qeynos and you had to run to SFG. All original starting points were at the priest of discord. So you had the option to turn in the book. There isn't/wasn't a POD in SFG in classic ergo, it could not have been a starting point initially. The point where it changed becomes the rub. I couldn't find data evidence indicating the change, so I'm not specifically sure when it should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilbog
If all the polls I have done up until now fully counted, you would be playing on some abomination of a PVP server with 2-10 boxing based on votes from people named xcm234nv and adfa234.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1930 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Half elf Ranger/druid's had the Choice of starting in kelethin OR Qeynos.
I remember this very clearly.

Well actually I don't understand why you have those notes in the game because those were not classic at all, Neither was the food on your person either.

When I started my half elf ranger back in 99 I clearly remember starting in Gfaydark(its why i fell in the love with the game)

and the only thing i had on me was a short sword. That was it.

I really don't think they started that note thing till either kunark or velious. I know it was introduced Very early, as well as the food supplies but neither were on the initial release.
If you click on the bottom link from the original post, you'll find all of the newbie starting items (including the guild tunic from newbie note) referred to, along with the changes in their progression since release.

If you didn't have a newbie note, this manual from March of 1999 explains why:

[Note: Some PC's do not start with this note, as their Guildmaster has not yet been added to the world. Not having a note does not is not a disadvantage, as membership to your profession's Guild is not required to receive training]

Due to this, it seems as if Surefall Glade may not have been complete at launch.

I don't think a Priest of Discord was ever added to SFG. This could have been an oversight.
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/sear...est+of+discord
http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?zone=14
http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?zone=273

It seems likely that the listed classes above began starting in SFG when selected Qeynos as their starting city once SFG was complete.

--

I've been trying to find my old ROK/Classic discs. The Eqmanual.doc file should be identical on both, since when Kunark was released, there was a second ROK_Manual_Supplement.doc, rather than an edited manual. I did find my SOV disc and installed that, but it only installed Velious files, no core game files at all.

If anyone can dig up their old discs and host these files, it would be a handy resource for a number of things. Meanwhile, I'll keep looking.
Last edited by mmiles8; 08-05-2010 at 11:12 AM..
Old 08-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Aviak

Send a message via MSN to fwaits

Quote:
I've been trying to find my old ROK/Classic discs. The Eqmanual.doc file should be identical on both, since when Kunark was released, there was a second ROK_Manual_Supplement.doc, rather than an edited manual. I did find my SOV disc and installed that, but it only installed Velious files, no core game files at all.

If anyone can dig up their old discs and host these files, it would be a handy resource for a number of things. Meanwhile, I'll keep looking.
I have the old boxes at home. I'll try and remember to grab them tonight and bring them to work to scan in and upload if it will help with any data.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Fire Giant

TY TY. If you have the original books, those have different content than the text files that installed into the eq folder I think. If you can upload both, that would be epic.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Sarnak

I tossed all of my disk about three months before I started here...go figure.

That being said, I know during beta my half elf ranger started in Surefall. First day I logged in was after they put in the weather. After I found my way out of that damn cave, I was in Qhills, looking at the rain coming down. It was a strong selling point for me. Not something I will forget any time soon.
Closed Thread