Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 04:24 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardp1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The goal should have been to create a classic feel server. P99 could be so much more fun.

But OP sadly all you will get is "get fucked", "not classic", "book not up", "die" and other similar responses. Everquest is not meant to be played for multiple years in 2 expansions and the creators seem to have no desire to keep things fresh. So get your occational nostalgia fix and move along

Yeah, I've noticed the hate and anger here. Won't be posting anything anymore if they're just gonna be dicks about it.
Old 11-03-2021, 04:42 PM
Planar Protector

Will never happen and is possibly against their legal agreement with Daybreak (or whatever the company is that now owns the EQ IP)
Old 11-03-2021, 04:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
what you want is called TAKP.

boxing is classic. I boxed in 2000. sorry you were a poor kid with only 1 computer
This is kind of a misstatement. Boxing wasn't explicitly prohibited but if you boxed in certain ways we would issue warnings (was CSR in era). For example, using boxing to hold down a valuable camp and monopolize it when you otherwise wouldn't be able to do it on your own. If we got reports of that we would step in.
Old 11-03-2021, 04:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerPayer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, I've noticed the hate and anger here. Won't be posting anything anymore if they're just gonna be dicks about it.
I'm tempted to say something mean just to follow the classically mandated action of being an E-bully

The main thing is you've got project eq the grand creation and another server on server select screen that already does what you're asking for.

Same with shards of dalaya (everquest emulator)

This is the only server that stays in "classic" and you're asking it to go beyond. Just play TLP and delete game when it gets to an era you hate. Maybe they will do a permanently locked TLP server with a hard cap and you can play live with all the benefits of that.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 11-03-2021, 06:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is kind of a misstatement. Boxing wasn't explicitly prohibited but if you boxed in certain ways we would issue warnings (was CSR in era). For example, using boxing to hold down a valuable camp and monopolize it when you otherwise wouldn't be able to do it on your own. If we got reports of that we would step in.
I played on tarew marr then it merged to drinal. I 2 boxed everything I could, in any camp, from kunark to underfoot. thats 15 expansions. I never had a boxing related GM interaction. When i was 15 my dad made me get a job to pay for the 8 monthly subs I had.

Verant wasn't stupid. Multi-boxing means more monthly subs, they encouraged this activity.

I did get a few accounts banned for using ghostkill though, now that was some good old classic bad behavior!
Old 11-03-2021, 06:17 PM
Banned

Yeah boxing was never against the rules, but only because accounts cost money. In a setting where they don't, it makes no sense to allow it. If the "classic experience" included some few people boxing (but not most, due to hardware limitations) it doesn't make sense to include it here given that the goal is the most classic experience possible. Today, both hardware and internet infrastructure allows any p99 player to box a full group easily, which was rare in 1999. So to just outlaw boxing entirely brings the net experience closer to what actually occured in classic than allowing boxing, which would result in a way artificially higher level of boxing than what existed in 1999.

TLDR anything that makes the game feel more single-player is inherently anti-thetical to the vision of brad
Old 11-03-2021, 06:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerPayer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wow, there's a lot of anger, hate, and malicious comments here. Apologies, I didn't mean to bring out the most cruel intentions of fellow gamers.

How was I supposed to know they "reverse engineered" things? It's not exactly in the fine print. It was a harmless post bragging about how the p99 devs kept everything so polished, and having enjoyed the OG game, would continue to enjoy it.

Shame on all of you intent on being mean for the purpose of simply being cruel.
Most of the comments were helpful (suggesting similar servers that do go beyond SoV) or in agreement. Some reminisced of the early days of the project.

I feel you may have misread the tone should you feel you were being treated meanly. I wholeheartedly apologise if I made you feel uncomfortable in anyway. I just wanted to ask you, in good humour, whether you had considered what you were demanding of others (by demanding it of you). Sorry again if my mirror was upsetting.

You’re right, the fact the server is a huge piece of reverse engineering isn’t in the fine print - it is in the welcome banner on the home page of the project. In case you haven’t read it:

“Our goal is to restore the magic and difficulty of the original Everquest game, including the mechanics, interface, and challenges of Original Content, Kunark, and Velious. Project 1999 is the most popular and most accurate reincarnation of Old School Everquest.”

Sadly creating a emu server isn’t as simple as installing the trilogy disc and running server.exe. It has taken a decade to imperfectly recreate up to Velious.

See you in game (whether here or takp).
Old 11-03-2021, 06:45 PM
Planar Protector

also, only playing a single account of any class is boring.

on P99 I gotta play something like enchanter or shaman that is constantly changing spells, always has a job to do in any situation. I could never get into bard, not due to the demanding play style bards require, i find it annoying that my spells only last 18 seconds.

It's chasing the dragon, back in the day i was cool just playing the ol' 2 button rogue, then i needed more and more everquest interaction, I had to stress my brain harder for EQ output to get that fix. Every now and then I load up the 18 box on EZ. <3 macroquest for that.

Boxing meets the entertainment load demand that my super brain requires. Maximum stimulation.

Also when boxing your group mates are never idiots, they never gotta log off early, or ninja afk, or fill group chat with their asinine thoughts. They just sit quietly and fill my xp bar

Also #2, Multi-boxing on P99 is not rare, as a well experienced boxer, i recognize the telltale signs all the time, or rather used to, when blue was alot more active.
Last edited by Trexller; 11-03-2021 at 06:50 PM..
Old 11-04-2021, 10:42 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Most of the comments were helpful (suggesting similar servers that do go beyond SoV) or in agreement. Some reminisced of the early days of the project.

I feel you may have misread the tone should you feel you were being treated meanly. I wholeheartedly apologise if I made you feel uncomfortable in anyway. I just wanted to ask you, in good humour, whether you had considered what you were demanding of others (by demanding it of you). Sorry again if my mirror was upsetting.

You’re right, the fact the server is a huge piece of reverse engineering isn’t in the fine print - it is in the welcome banner on the home page of the project. In case you haven’t read it:

“Our goal is to restore the magic and difficulty of the original Everquest game, including the mechanics, interface, and challenges of Original Content, Kunark, and Velious. Project 1999 is the most popular and most accurate reincarnation of Old School Everquest.”

Sadly creating a emu server isn’t as simple as installing the trilogy disc and running server.exe. It has taken a decade to imperfectly recreate up to Velious.

See you in game (whether here or takp).
Appreciate the empathy.

It was a request, though, not a demand. I just wanted to get a sentiment, which I did, although some more malicious than others. I like P99, and I like the way they manage everything. I just think being on velious for 10 years has a way of diminishing the player base of their intention, which is, in any xpac/mmorph, #1 required.

Still, it doesn't seem like this dream will come true, so I'll stay until I get bored, which is fast approaching, I think.
Old 11-04-2021, 10:46 AM
Fire Giant

No Luclin+, and get rid of velious.

The end the fame be VP forever.
Closed Thread