Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 09-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Orc

Default Trouble logging in.

Salutations!

I've recently joined this community about two weeks ago and I've been having a grand old time. I've had no problems what-so-ever with the game until yesterday.

I came home from work last night and found that I could not log in
When I might type my information in to reach the server select screen, I simply time out. This happens most of the time. If I do manage to sneak by the login screen, I am greeted with a blank server selection screen. That is to say everything is there.. except the servers.

I have to go close the game and re-open it to try again ~35-50 times to see the servers and successfully log in, so obviously something is working.. sometimes. When I am in game I find that I crash to desktop pretty consistently when I zone and must start the whole process all over again.

I have tried several things to remedy this problem. I'll try to make each as detailed as possible. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

1: Reboot (because its amazing what this fixes).

2: I took the entire file off the external hard drive I was running it through to place it upon my internal.

3: I checked my eqhost.txt file to ensure it does indeed include
[LoginServer]
Host=eqemulator.net:5998

4: I quadruple checked to ensure the word(s) " patchme " were behind the target within the shortcut's properties

5: I completely reinstalled EQ Titanium and modified/removed/overwrote the required files.

6: I changed the EQgame shortcut target string to
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 eqgame.exe patchme
As asked by the sticky on the EQEmu forums.
Note: I found that this DOES consistently get me to the blank server select screen.

7: I have changed my processor to a single core via MSconfig and rebooted appropriately.

8: Ran EQgame shortcut via other Windows compatibilities.

9: Updated video drivers.

10: Managed to contain a cry of frustration (this was easily the hardest to do).

I run under Windows Vista with an Intel dual core processor. I would greatly appreciate any help someone might offer. Again, I have had no problems with the game at all until last night and no files were tinkered with unless one counts shutting down the PC as one. It had even worked fine just 7 hours before when I came home for a short break. Thank you all ahead of time!

Edit: I also attempted..
change your everquest shortcut to be something like:

cmd.exe /C Start /affinity 1 eqgame.exe patchme

My windows 7 EQ shortcut looks like this:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 F:\Games\EQ\eqgame.exe patchme

As per page 5 of the "Client just shuts down" thread

Edit 2: This problem is only affecting EQ. All other programs, games, and applications work just fine and port 5998 is open and ready!

Edit 3: I have also tries disabling the UAC to no avail. Doh!

Edit 4: It seems that the game also enjoys taunting me. For instance, when I first turned my UAC off I was able to reach a populated server select screen two times in a row. The third attempt failed. This also occurs with some of the other 'fixes' I've tried, such as a modem restart.
Last edited by Serendipity; 09-16-2010 at 12:11 AM..
Old 09-14-2010, 10:59 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

turn off your routers firewall.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:02 PM
Orc

Due to other conditions I am currently plugged straight in to my modem. Thank you for the idea though. I will try firewalls (though this has never been a problem, it is worth a shot.) [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Edit: I tries a few things that I didn't think would work such as closing a few programs or shutting down some firewalls and triple checking available ports. While the problem seems little alleviated, it still persists.
Last edited by Serendipity; 09-15-2010 at 12:28 AM..
Old 09-15-2010, 12:07 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I'm getting something like this now. I try and log in and sometimes i get to a blank server select, and other times it gives me a cannot connect error. I was logged in a few hours ago.

Edit:

I just reset my modem/router and the problem was solved for about 30s, i was able to see the servers but got an 'unknown error' when i tried to log in. I restarted the program and im back to not seeing anything again.
Last edited by Sargonax; 09-15-2010 at 12:18 AM..
Old 09-15-2010, 02:02 AM
Fire Giant

I had issues as well once, and couldn't figure it out. This is what the cable guy told me.. "I removed this( he held up some adapter) from your modem, which lowers your signal, in order to make it more stable. But recently we had someone in the area working on the box out there on the pole, and he lowered it for everyone nearby, so this in addition to that was giving you connection issues.

I dunno wtf, or if it is even related, but there.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:56 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Shrug, im guessing it was something to do with my isp, I went to sleep last night with this problem, and I can log in w/o problems this morning.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Orc

It seems that I am still persisting the problem even after a night and several modem resets. I will contact my isp tomorrow unless anyone has other ideas. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Fire Giant

same things happenin for me ;( hella sucks

i've been eye balling my modem for about 5 minutes trying to locate this 'adapter' thats slowing my speed down! i just moved to the UK and i never had this problem before! ;(