Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 07:18 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Greetings! (First Time EQ Player)

Hello there. Recently a friend of mine whom I've been gaming with for a few years informed me about this wonderful project. Back during this era, I was playing Asheron's Call and had always been curious about how things were on this side of the fence. Lo and behold, some fine person decides to come up with the best thing next to a time machine; allowing me to see EQ in all of it's original glory (with a few less people).

Which brings me to my main point. It seems that there aren't quite as many people populating this server as there were back in the old days. Because of this, I get the impression that finding people to play with will be a difficult thing. Is there any advice you could share with me in order to overcome this issue? I'm indifferent to which side I play on, good or evil. I've started an Erudite Wizard, but I could just as easily switch to the other side if it meant the option to play with more people.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:44 PM
Fire Giant

Welcome,

There are generally "hot spot" zones where it's much easier to get groups as you level up.

First I would suggest going over to Greater Faydark to level up (make sure you get a bind). You can migrate to Crushbone at ~ level 8 or 10. Once you hit ~ level 14 you can move to Unrest (ask people for directions or look at the maps on the Project 1999 wiki (just google Project 1999 wiki).

From there you should probably have made a few friends and follow them around a bit. People like Mistmoore about level 23 to ~ 30, 35. You can also go to the Freeport area from ~level 4 and level there, get some handouts from the higher levels and get some buffs (just don't beg a lot).
Old 10-17-2012, 08:06 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kope [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Welcome,

There are generally "hot spot" zones where it's much easier to get groups as you level up.

First I would suggest going over to Greater Faydark to level up (make sure you get a bind). You can migrate to Crushbone at ~ level 8 or 10. Once you hit ~ level 14 you can move to Unrest (ask people for directions or look at the maps on the Project 1999 wiki (just google Project 1999 wiki).

From there you should probably have made a few friends and follow them around a bit. People like Mistmoore about level 23 to ~ 30, 35. You can also go to the Freeport area from ~level 4 and level there, get some handouts from the higher levels and get some buffs (just don't beg a lot).
I dont think a first time Eq player is going to know what any of this is/means lol.
I would suggest making a high elf or human. Both starting areas for those races are a lot more populated than the erudite's. If you really want to make an erudite then you got a lot of work to do to find people.... I wouldn't recommend it.

Everquest Mysteries http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=231587
Old 10-17-2012, 08:28 PM
Orc

In EQ Good Vs. Evil isn't distinct like it is in say WoW. Faction with NPC's is the name of the game. If you stay with Erudite Wizard you won't have much faction trouble, save for the Evil races: Trolls, Dark Elves and Ogres. Check your factions before you enter cities. Target an NPC and hit the "C" key to give you a /consider. This will tell you if they'll kill you or not, or sell to you or not, or offer quests etc... Be diligent about it too until you get the hang of how different cities feel about you. It might not matter as much if you're an Erudite running around a Human city like Freeport as nothing there will kill you on sight. However should you make an Ogre anything later on down the line it'll be a good habit to already have.

I would however suggest moving out of the Erudin area. Be warned though, moving a level 1 can be risky especially if you don't know how to travel the zones yet. It may be more prudent to pick a race that is in one of the more populated areas for lowbies to hunt. A High Elf would put you in Felwithe which is next to Greater Faydark, your one stop newbie hunting ground. This would also apply to starting a Wood Elf as Kelethin is in the same zone. Two starting areas in one zone makes for more guards to run to and more people.

I myself however always go to East Commonlands, as I always felt more at home there and seems to have more people in general. One reason for more people is East Commonlands aka "EC" is it's the trading hub for all players selling goods in the /auction channel. It might give you a chance to see what's out there by what loot is being traded and sold.

Humans start just outside of EC, if you choose Freeport as your starting city. Dark Elves are close as well in Neriak. Not much further are Halflings though beware traveling Kithicor at night.

if you feel like spoiling things for yourself a bit EQAtlas is a great map site. Also a rule of thumb, whenever you're traveling to an area you don't know well or are just passing through. It's often easier to follow the zone walls then to run through the middle of them. You'll avoid the bulk of mobs that path around and it's easier to keep you're bearings.

Also, make a hotkey for Sense Heading, put one point in it from your guild trainer in your starting city. Pound that hotkey when you're medding mana, fighting mobs or whatever. This is essentially your compass and it'll help a lot navigating zones, especially as a Wizard.

I myself never got a chance to play Asheron's Call so hopefully any of the advice I gave isn't redundant.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:01 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Thanks for the assistance, everybody. Contrary to popular belief Utenan, I was able to decipher the advice with the assistance of the p99 wiki. After looking at the route I'd have to travel to get to Freeport / Feydark I decided against it. Luckily my friend who introduced me to p99, decided to start a Bard and we were able to meet up in Qeynos. Figure I'll stay here until I outlevel it, and then worry about what to do next.

I will say one thing, Holly Windstalker is not a very nice lass.

Also, Nep; how do I bind the Sense Heading ability? Right now it's just enabled on my skill bar, but I can't seem to find the keybind option for it.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:07 AM
Planar Protector

You need to hold left-click over it until it like moves on to your cursor, then deposit it in any of the 10 slots on your hotkey bar (with another left-click).
Old 10-18-2012, 07:42 AM
Planar Protector

If you are in Qeynos, there is zero reason to leave until about 15 or so. Blackburrow is an AMAZING zone and the gnoll teeth quest is FANTASTIC exp.

To bind sense heading to your movement keys:
1) Add "Sense Heading" as one of your skills under the Action bar.
2) Click and hold on the "Sense Heading" button you created to make a copy.
3) Drop that onto your hot bar. Note which slot you dropped it into.
4) Open your Options menu (ALT+O), select the "Keybind" tab.
5) Find the relevant hot bar slot matching the slot you put the button in step #3.
6) Rebind the key for that hot bar slot to your movement key. It will give you a warning about already being used for movement, but that's what you want.
7) Repeat for all actions/keys you would like to bind as such. I bound ALL movement keys (forward, backwards, right, and left - WASD) to "Sense Heading" until it was max level. This did require two hot bar slots (as you can only have two keys assigned to each keybind).

Good luck!
Old 10-18-2012, 08:26 AM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Ferok

As has been mentioned, that side of the world is a little barren for people. Though this server is certainly lower population than live, some zones take the brunt of it and some are just fine. Still, there's nothing wrong with Qeynos/Qeynos Hills/Blackburrow as long as you're not looking for company.

Welcome and enjoy!
Old 10-18-2012, 09:53 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by falkun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I bound ALL movement keys (forward, backwards, right, and left - WASD) to "Sense Heading" until it was max level. This did require two hot bar slots (as you can only have two keys assigned to each keybind).
That's some damn good advice right there.

Also, thanks for warm welcome. Looks like a solid community right here, albeit a small one.
Last edited by Sorrugis; 10-18-2012 at 09:55 AM..
Old 10-18-2012, 10:34 AM
VIP / Contributor

Welcome to Project 1999! Hope you enjoy your time here. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread