Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 10:30 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder73© [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Classic EQ can never be recreated in a profitable way. Every single review will say "grind fest" and it will turn into a commercial flop. This game will be free to play within 6 months of launch and that's because the creators will be resistant to F2P ptherwise it would be 3 months
No it will be F2P cause Brad will overdose and die.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:32 PM
Kobold

I wish the best for this game, I really do. But I won't hype it, it might have been 11 1/2 years ago when I was 17, but Vanguard was an eye opener to never hype videogames ever. That entire launch was a catastrophe, especially the open beta prior to launch. I'll wait until it comes out before I even consider this game. Brad has to work to regain his reputation.

Why do people think WoW invented having multiple combat abilities? It's like people think EQ1 was the only WRPG that existed prior to WoW???

And I'm glad the races are different and unique. That's awesome that we didn't get the generic layout of "50 elf races that that look the same but aren't" shtick.
Last edited by Bisonzabi; 08-07-2018 at 03:36 PM..
Old 08-07-2018, 03:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadtwoke [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No it will be F2P cause Brad will overdose and die.
Probably. hes shown 0 signs of taking accountability for his addiction im pretty sure hes a lifer.

its been 10 years and he still looks like hes on the gas.

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Old 08-07-2018, 05:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisonzabi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wish the best for this game, I really do. But I won't hype it, it might have been 11 1/2 years ago when I was 17, but Vanguard was an eye opener to never hype videogames ever. That entire launch was a catastrophe, especially the open beta prior to launch. I'll wait until it comes out before I even consider this game. Brad has to work to regain his reputation.

Why do people think WoW invented having multiple combat abilities? It's like people think EQ1 was the only WRPG that existed prior to WoW???

And I'm glad the races are different and unique. That's awesome that we didn't get the generic layout of "50 elf races that that look the same but aren't" shtick.
1. Agreed

2. Because EQ is my jam and WoW is my punching bag. They both made history in their own way. EQ proved the genre can be successful and WoW proved it can be taken to the next level. One was the start and the other the finish. The genre died with WoW.

Quote:
The first MMORPG is believed to have shown up in 1996, Meridian 59. It wasn’t until 1997, with Ultima Online, that the genre started to become popular.

Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games evolved out of MUDs. These games host a large number of players logging into the same world to play out there game. These visual games are currently very big business. There have been a few attempts over time to create a successful MMORPG, but nothing was an extraordinary success until Everquest.

Everquest dominated the MMORPG world for five years. In late 2004 WoW hit the shelves. In Wow’s first 24 hours it sold over 240,000 copies, more than any game in history. As of March, the game has sold over 1,500,000 copies worldwide and has at any given time an average of 500,000 users are online.
3. Which successful Massively Multiplayer Western Online Role Playing games has 50 different flavors of elf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder73© [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Classic EQ can never be recreated in a profitable way. Every single review will say "grind fest" and it will turn into a commercial flop. This game will be free to play within 6 months of launch and that's because the creators will be resistant to F2P ptherwise it would be 3 months
With king of the hill WoW going free to play (minus new expansions) how will any new game that is similar going to survive? What angles will be taken in order to earn a profit from their hard work? $kins and uber weaponry?

A guy was complaining in /ooc in Gfay recently while I was there, about how EQ is such a boring grind and he prefers WoW. Of course several of us in the zone responded with "go back then". Guy admitted he couldn't because he can't afford a sub fee. Charity/Cyber Cafe "gamers" got their wish. Come one, come all.
Last edited by Mblake1981; 08-07-2018 at 05:41 PM..
Old 08-07-2018, 05:45 PM
Banned

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake1981 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

They both made history in their own way. EQ proved the genre can be successful and WoW proved it can be taken to the next level. One was the start and the other the finish. The genre died with WoW.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:45 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake1981 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EQ proved the genre can be successful and WoW proved it can be taken to the next level. One was the start and the other the finish. The genre died with WoW.
But Ultima Online was already successful and even had 100k players by December 1998 prior to EQ1 launching 3 months later. The genre was already shown to be successful hence why several mmo's were in development at the sametime. Everquest only became the most well known because it beat Asheron's Call to the punch as the first truly 3D MMO. And no, it didn't "dominate" for 5 years. If we're talking about regional wise, then yes, but worldwide? No, Lineage and FFXI surpassed EQ1 prior to WoW coming out. The largest peak of subscribers EQ1 ever had was in 2003 with 500k subscribers and after SoL2 (GoD) came out people were prime and ready to head off to WoW. Still remember to this day /ooc PoK chat was flooded with "I'm headed off to WoW moment it comes out" by people just downright frustrated with how EQ1 was handled. You can't deny, there's a lot of things in EQ1 that aren't based on challenge but rather just padding things out to a ridiculous extent as a way to artificially extend the length of the game. Shadows of Luclin was the biggest culprit of this just making the more unlikable parts of RoK/SoV more noticeable.

Quote:
3. Which successful Massively Multiplayer Western Online Role Playing games has 50 different flavors of elf?
I was being facetious not literal.
Last edited by Bisonzabi; 08-07-2018 at 07:53 PM..
Old 08-07-2018, 08:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisonzabi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
But Ultima Online was already successful and even had 100k players by December 1998 prior to EQ1 launching 3 months later. The genre was already shown to be successful hence why several mmo's were in development at the sametime. Everquest only became the most well known because it beat Asheron's Call to the punch as the first truly 3D MMO. And no, it didn't "dominate" for 5 years. If we're talking about regional wise, then yes, but worldwide? No, Lineage and FFXI surpassed EQ1 prior to WoW coming out. The largest peak of subscribers EQ1 ever had was in 2003 with 500k subscribers and after SoL2 (GoD) came out people were prime and ready to head off to WoW. Still remember to this day /ooc PoK chat was flooded with "I'm headed off to WoW moment it comes out" by people just downright frustrated with how EQ1 was handled. You can't deny, there's a lot of things in EQ1 that aren't based on challenge but rather just padding things out to a ridiculous extent as a way to artificially extend the length of the game. Shadows of Luclin was the biggest culprit of this just making the more unlikable parts of RoK/SoV more noticeable.
Correct me if I am wrong but did UO have multiple combat abilities the way AG was describing? I remember my roommates complained about Pk'r college kids with their superior at the time T1 connection, mouse click. This is what I originally responded to you about because you had a question with multiple "???" EQ and WoW was/are the two big MMOs in North America. This is why we compare them. I suspect your original question was concerning AG's and our comments but you didn't quote.. so who knows.

None of my friends or people I knew played Lineage or FF, I can't speak to that.

I basically detest anything EQ related post Velious and I am not the biggest fan of it or Kunark. Rushed expansions without the thought put into them the original game had imo. Not sure what you think I would try to deny.

Most people were ready for a new game, I was one of them. I was there opening day for DAoC and Shadowbane. But you had games like Star Wars Galaxies out as well. However, I don't hear comparisons about any recent or upcoming MMOs with those games. I do with WoW and recently EQ with Pantheon.

Quote:
I was being facetious not literal.
I know..

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-07-2018, 10:08 PM
Kobold

I hate the graphics. I like the quirky and unique look of original EQ models.

Reminds me too much of the terrible bryce 3d engine of EQ2 and Vanguard.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:16 AM
Kobold

Quote:
I basically detest anything EQ related post Velious and I am not the biggest fan of it or Kunark. Rushed expansions without the thought put into them the original game had imo. Not sure what you think I would try to deny.

Most people were ready for a new game, I was one of them. I was there opening day for DAoC and Shadowbane. But you had games like Star Wars Galaxies out as well. However, I don't hear comparisons about any recent or upcoming MMOs with those games. I do with WoW and recently EQ with Pantheon.
Shadow Of Luclin was a wonderful idea and had a good chunk of nice content, except when it didn't. It felt half-baked and rushed. Zones like the inner core of the moon and the caverns looked great, but most of the outdoor zones were just unfinished and didn't have any lore or factions tied to the mobs. Everything from dungeon design to mob placement to the names of the mobs just felt lifeless. I know some never liked the concept of going to the moon because it felt too "alien" but keep in mind the idea of outer terrestrial life in EQ was around since day 1 since Qeynos has a flying saucer parked in the city as an alter of worship for an alien that ascended to godhood.

EQ's original launch was a complete blind push. They didn't know what they wanted the game to truly be, hence why pre-Planes had very little if any raid content and even then the gear compared to planar stuff was night and day. The content in the original game was skewed, you can't deny that the western half of Antonica had less thought put into it then the Eastern side of it with particular dungeons offering nothing while others like Guk offering everything. Kunark is my favorite expansion and really did improve the game a lot, I prefer it hands down compared to Velious. Velious was way too linear in terms of traversing the continent. Having to go through 3 dungeons just to go to every single overland zone? Retarded. Why wasn't there a zone connecting Great Divide to Western Wastes?

And the reason you don't see many comparisons is because the MMO genre is dying. It's been dead. Nobody wants to take a gamble at it. There are more fertile grounds and genres that have sprung up that are more interesting especially to multiplayer RPGs. With the exception of ESO, very few other companies want to compete in an overly saturated and declining genre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmuffin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I hate the graphics. I like the quirky and unique look of original EQ models.

Reminds me too much of the terrible bryce 3d engine of EQ2 and Vanguard.
Vanguard used the Unreal 2.5 engine but I'm not sure what engine that the models including character models were created in. Character models in that were atrocious though, i believe they weren't even completed entirely until beta came around but it just looked odd and stiff. EQ1's models were overall ok at launch, not the best out there especially when you compare it to other 3d games at the time, but was better than what they originally had planned for the game and were still acceptable enough for 3d models in 1999. Pantheon's models are...yeah they look like shit. For character models too look this stubby and inflexible is just unacceptable in 2018.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:07 AM
Planar Protector

Positive or negative, commenting on how a pre-alpha game looks in its current form is like critiquing how awkward someone looks at their adolescent stage. Acne and braces are what most people will notice first, but that's to be expected. Similarly, a lot of games that look the most promising and attractive early on, and rise in popularity prematurely, end up being dull and one-dimensional over time and never live up to their supposed potential (EQNext). That a significant majority of players here have long been skeptical of PRotF indicates, to me at least, that it won't end up being all the negatives that some are already predicting it will be.

The question is whether any game in development will have enough personality to hold players' attention beyond the initial oos and ahs that flashy graphics inspire, especially a game that plans on being subscriptions only. Based on interviews given by the dev team, adding layers to an already challenging personality is what they seem more concerned with at this time which is reassuring.

But MMORPGs are like marriages, requiring a lot patience before turning into anything serious as well as long-term investments from devs and players in order for it have a chance at working. And it only takes one or two failed ones for people become jaded and swear them off altogether. Whereas most of the other game genres are the equivalent of one night stands, on again off again relationships, etc. And even when there are less memorable aspects to them, they're still seen as a success due to lower expectations and level of involvement. Log on, play a 20 minute session of hack and slash, then get back to real life.

Back when they still existed outside of the occasional train station / university bowling alley, arcades were the epitome of that. Cheap, quick, and full of variety, making them the brothels in this analogy. That genre died in its old form but in the past five or so years there has been a resurgence of quality arcade-type games on Steam. I don't see why a similar resurgence can't happen for MMORPGs. Eventually people tire of the same thing and they demand the opposite. Happens with music, film, politics, and even food. What was once slave food, the nasty throwaway parts, is now considered high end cuisine. Audiences got bored with typical picture-perfect actors on screen and now there are lopsided boobs on Orange Is The New Black and curiously disproportionate faces on the big screen.

Games can't the exception. And if it was just a matter of nostalgia, devs wouldn't be obsessively toiling away at those games, this one, or PRotF.
Last edited by Ennewi; 08-08-2018 at 09:14 AM..
Closed Thread