Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 02:02 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default The true new player experience

Hello all,

I am playing EQ for the first time ever on Green server. I rolled a human druid and began my adventure. It took 30 minutes for me to figure out how to talk with NPCs, and anther 30 minutes to figure out how to buy/sell.

Once I figured that out, I ventured outside and saw a cool tunnel behind a waterfall, I jumped in the water to try and swim over there and found I couldn't swim up to the surface (I was in third person camera), I swam around frantically until I drowned.

After getting back to my corpse and acquainting myself with the game I began to try to venture out to Qeynos. I came across a helpful player that gave me my first starting pp, a weapon, some armor, and a buff so I could see at night. I don't know how I would have made it to Qeynos without the help.

After spending some time killing skeletons and doing quests I was feeling particularly brave (level 3 by this point), and decided to venture into the scary looking Blackburrow. I saw the incredible pile of corpses at the zone line, but it didn't deterr me. I saw an interesting looking tree and walked in, only to fall through the false floor and die in the depths of the blackburrow dungeon.

I was devastated
. All that hard work, all those days of playtime, and now there was absolutely no way I was going to get my corpse back. dejected, I decided to start rebuilding by killing decaying skeletons with my fists outside Qeynos (which sucked). While I was regening mana, a higher level mage came by and we started chatting. I let him know about my recent wipe and he offered to help me retrieve my corpse. I had no idea what to expect but the idea of getting all my stuff back was something I didn't think was possible hours ago. It was 2am in the morning but I was determined to see this through. While trying to retrieve my corpse we ran into another group of 2 also doing exactly the same thing! We (mostly the other three) teamed up together and managed to successfully get both corpses back. I was re-united with my items and the feeling of relief was amazing, my heart was beating so fast. My eternal gratitude to the other players that helped out!

For this game to bring that sense of wonder and adventure for a simple player-driven challenge at level 3 is kind of unreal. No other game I have ever played even comes close. Now my next challenge is to find a bank so I can deposit some things, just in case something like this happens in the future.

Just wanted to share my new player experience! Love it!
Perdu, human druid.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:49 PM
Fire Giant

Welcome to Norrath! Glad you decided to keep going and not take your ball home.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:32 AM
Sarnak

It's exactly this type of risk and difficulty in older games such as classic EQ that make them so loved and playable. In this one evening of playing the OP has learnt about the game, experienced the amazing playerbase, experienced hardships and overcome them with help from strangers... and succeeded in recovering his items!!!

Imaging the same story, but with more modern games....

"I died in Blackburrow and appeared back in Surefall Glade with my stuff, then I went to bed."

Welcome to EQ Perdu, I hope you have many more adventures and enjoy the game. Keep working at it, one day it will be you helping some noob to recover their lost corpse!
Old 10-06-2020, 05:44 AM
Planar Protector

Good stuff, Perdu.

Please keep us updated on your progress in Norrath. True new EQ players are scarce these days and such stories take us back to our own pink-colored memories.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:25 AM
Planar Protector

Welcome bud. If I see you in game I’ll say hello!
Old 10-06-2020, 12:27 PM
Banned

Woot another human druid!
Norrath needs another=)
Old 10-06-2020, 05:48 PM
Sarnak

RUN! RUN NOW!

(welcome aboard!)

Zipps - 51 HLF Druid <Castle>
Lykosor - 49 DE Necro <Castle>
Aspom - 12 HEF Ranger <Castle>
Slyng - 31 HEF Bard <Castle>
Flecrad - 21 DE Enchanter <Castle>
Lykos - 43 HIE Mage <Castle>
Ribkage - 17 GNM Boneknight <Castle>
Old 10-07-2020, 11:40 AM
Planar Protector

His story is indeed very much a true new player experience, mirrored by many a player over the course of the past two decades. The phony tree trap in Black Burrow has claimed the lives of many unwary players, including that of one of my own earliest characters way back when. There's a genuinely good game in here if you can get past the slow pace of gameplay and outdated technology. Don't hesitate to switch to the first-person camera view sometimes. Unlike newer games, EQ was built during the 90's when first-person was in vogue and the game world is designed to be seen from that vantage point.

A lot of us here would enjoy updates. Hopefully the original poster sticks with this community for a long time to come.

Danth
Old 10-07-2020, 06:50 PM
Decaying Skeleton

OP here, a little update for you all.

After about 20 minutes of aimless wandering through north Qeynos, I finally managed to get into South Qeynos! It was here that I found the bank and deposited some of my pp and items, just in case I were to wipe bad again.

I began to explore the town. I pulled out my IRL quest notebook that I had been using to write down quest objectives, locations, and NPCs. I had been sent here on a quest to find Ronn Castekinn, and the friendly merchant at Sneed's Supplies told me he had last seen Ronn at the North pond with a shadowy hooded figure. Now at the pond there was no sign of Ronn, but I couldn't help but notice what appeared to be a secret underwater tunnel beneath the pond. Needless to say I was intrigued and jumped in (I knew how to swim up and down by this point) and what did I find? HOLY MOLY jackpot. There was a whole secret network of tunnels beneath the city!! Excited I began to explore until I came across a skeleton much harder than those I had fought above ground. I booked it back into the water and swam as fast I could for the zoneline and the surface, and only managed to just scrape through with 10 health left. As I emerged from the pool, sopping wet, I filed this place away to come back to when I had a friend with me.

I decided to take stock of my supplies I had banked. I had around 80 bone chips and I had heard that necromancers would pay a pretty penny for them, so I decided to see if I could make the journey to the east commonlands tunnel in order to sell them. I had no idea how far the journey really was, and in fact the first attempt I made I only got into the Western Plains of Karana where I bought a book on tailoring and began to read it by the lake.

It was here that a young bard approached me and asked if I knew the way to Blackburrow. Boy, did I know the place. I offered to help him on his journey and fight off some gnolls together, and off we went! Blackburrow was much less scary now that I knew where the trap was, and with two of us those gnolls stood no chance! we continued adventuring late into the night, moving beyond blackburrow into the frostbitten mountains beyond, and by the time we were fighting our way back to Qeynos Hills, I had levelled up! saying goodbye to my bard friend I bought all the new spells I could and headed back to Qeynos to organize my bank and inventory.

By this point, an old friend sent me a tell out of the blue! It was the kind shaman (Irdessa) that had given me my first starting pp and weapon at level 1! They just wanted to see how I was getting along. We chatted for a while and they offered to buy my stacks of bone chips off me since they were headed to the east commonlands anyway! Thrilled, I finally had some good starting cash and was excited to try out some of this tailoring I had been reading about, and decided that my next goal would be to gather the supplies I would need.

venturing out into the plains, I knew I would need some cat pelts and spider silks. As the landscape stretched out Eastwards in front of me, I was so incredibly excited to explore a whole new place, with new people to meet!
Old 10-09-2020, 02:09 AM
Planar Protector

Must be a new player to make a human.
Closed Thread