Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 11:50 PM
Fire Giant

Updated download with full set of map files!
Old 05-01-2014, 06:42 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The same can be said of many other things too. Our internet speeds aren't classic. Our monitor sizes (or number of monitors) aren't classic. Being able to run EQ in a window (without a "cheat" of EQW) isn't classic. Epic multi-quests, puppet string OT Hammers, WC caps, etc. all weren't classic (for most people at least).

The server team can only create a classic implementation of Everquest; they can never reproduce a classic Everquest environment. And even if they could somehow "fix" all the technical things I just mentioned, that still won't suck the knowledge from our brains, which means we will NEVER have a truly classic Everquest environment.

If you're really that disturbed by that fact, then one little map app (which totally could have been written back in '99) should be the least of your worries. Really you should just quit over the many, many other aspects of Everquest 1999 that can never perfectly be reproduced here on Project 99 ...

... or you could just enjoy the game for what it is: a faithful reproduction of the Everquest game, in a modern environment.

sounds like desperate rationalization to me. Are you trying to convince me or convince your self?
Old 05-01-2014, 07:01 AM
Planar Protector

Gonna run naked through Gfay with Luclin models on and finding my way with this. Thanks Xenow!
Old 05-01-2014, 08:26 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkMasterson1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
sounds like desperate rationalization to me. Are you trying to convince me or convince your self?
You seem unusually obsessed with this app that you say you will never use. Meds?
Old 05-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkMasterson1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Either that, or I'm someone who appreciates this server for what it is, looking at someone who is bent out of shape over "not classic" aspects of the server that can never possibly be classic, trying to convince them to appreciate the server for what it is.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:56 PM
Kobold

You mean to tell me multi questing and recharging items is not classic?
Old 05-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lictor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You mean to tell me multi questing and recharging items is not classic?
They were absolutely part of the classic mechanics, but at the same time they were not a part of the classic experience, at least to the extent they are here on Project 1999.

Take the OT Hammer for instance. In the classic era many players didn't even know it existed. Of those that did, many didn't know Puppet Strings existed. Of those that did, most didn't know that they could bypass the OT Hammer quest with them, and that they could recharge the strings after. Even if they did know all that, they needed to acquire a Puppet Strings, which meant being in a top raiding guild (and winning that rare loot) ... and even if they were lucky to have a Puppet Strings and know all that, they weren't sharing that knowledge with everyone and advertising "OT Hammer 3k" in the EC Tunnel.

But here on P99 people do have that knowledge, so we have way more OT hammers than the classic era ever did. If the GMs wanted Project 1999 to truly emulate classic EQ in the classic era, they'd have to somehow make it have a lot less OT Hammers. But doing that would require making the mechanics un-classic. You can't have both, so the GMs chose to have classic mechanics over a truly classic experience.

That's an unavoidable limit of Project 1999, and I think folks like HawkMasterson1999 would be a lot happier if they embraced that, rather than getting upset over things like a small mapping app that is classic mechanically but not experientially.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:21 PM
Orc

It keeps telling me that I don't have permission to download this. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Old 05-02-2014, 02:02 AM
Fire Giant

Fixed!
Old 05-02-2014, 02:05 AM
Fire Giant

Up to 54 unique downloads too, so seems like a lot of people are trying it out (or downloaded it just for the fun of it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] )