Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 08:12 PM
Kobold

Default expel undead getting resisted

I'm new to cleric. I saw that expel undead had a -50 magic modifier and assumed that when i went after Spectres (37 max) at lev 40, that I would see little or no resist.
Instead i've been completely resisted 3 out of 40, and partial resists on 6 of the remaining 40. 9 of 40?
I have of course been using root and spook the dead to not get gibbleted, and have never had eiither of them (20 casts total) get resisted.

Is it a waste for me to keep better track ,or is this just the way it is?
Old 04-06-2020, 08:59 PM
Planar Protector

P99 is coded to be difficult to simulate classic difficulty. Expect resists, you either accept it or grow old and bitter living a life of forumquest posting gifs in RnF.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:17 PM
Planar Protector

ya it is sorta the way it is, early on the resists were terrible and they got better... idk... luclin?

needless to say i feel p99 is a tad overtuned, but its totally playable
Old 04-06-2020, 10:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm new to cleric. I saw that expel undead had a -50 magic modifier and assumed that when i went after Spectres (37 max) at lev 40, that I would see little or no resist.
Instead i've been completely resisted 3 out of 40, and partial resists on 6 of the remaining 40. 9 of 40?
I have of course been using root and spook the dead to not get gibbleted, and have never had eiither of them (20 casts total) get resisted.

Is it a waste for me to keep better track ,or is this just the way it is?
Casting a debuff vs resisists always seemed like a waste imo for the same reason you mentioned. More often than not I just felt it better to eat the realist on the actual DD or DOT rather than fart around with a debuff.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:43 PM
Planar Protector

If you're managing to still kill them that's great. 39 is the true starting level for specs I think [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Also with Velious this is worth having:- https://wiki.project1999.com/Turning_of_the_Unnatural
Old 04-07-2020, 12:55 AM
Planar Protector

I didn't know it had a -50 built in. Maybe that's not coded correctly? a lvl 40 player vs lvl 37 mobs is still a pretty close match so I can see some resists in there being possible.

I just always assumed the Undead/Summoned line were more efficient (mana to dmg) with less cooldown. On that basis they still stand up and allow a cleric to solo, albeit less comfortably than many classes.

If you are feeling scientific maybe run them compared to your non-undead nukes and see how those stack up for resists (full or partial). I expect it's going to be a waste of time even if you prove conclusive data on if that -50 is real or not.

Note: The closest comparison I can say is on geo's in Wakening Lands Ive tried Malosini on them reducing sv poison 60 points (lvl 57 sham vs high 40's npcs). Even then I've had resists on my poison dots. It's less common but still happens.
Last edited by Snaggles; 04-07-2020 at 12:59 AM..
Old 04-07-2020, 02:58 AM
Planar Protector

Level difference vs the mob is understated... 37 is a gamble for clerics at spectres. If your mana pool is good (high +MANA, +WIS) then you'll probably be okay for those resists or partial resists that'll appear.

I did 39-48ish at the specs on my cleric, was increasingly easy (as you'd expect).

Would recommend the Feerott ones over the Oasis ones due to popularity and needing a levi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-07-2020, 03:34 AM
Planar Protector

Wanna discuss about harm touch resist, it's 95% resist on any raid, or about the HT disc rendering ht disease based to make it nearly unresistable (only 90% or so resist...)
Old 04-07-2020, 09:04 AM
Kobold

I kept data on the first 100 casts of expel when i was 41.
9 full resists. 11 partial resists.
On the first 100 roots: 1 resist.
at 41, i am 4-8 levels above the mobs. And root is also a 'magic' save. It makes no sense unless that -50 magic resist is bogus. even then, it feels like they get a bonus...or it isn't really a magic save, maybe something they resist better.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:56 AM
Planar Protector

It may seem real bad, but with 200 int I can kill yellows in FV with 50% mana remaining. So YMMV. Casters are still pretty overpowerd )
Closed Thread