Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 09:26 AM
Planar Protector

I love the high population, it's like a nice fresh cup of coffee. You're instantly alert trying to get that rep and upgrade your camp while defending your present one at the same time.

Little elfs be swarming around with their little books yelling about rule 3 paragraph 1 must maintain line of sight to claimed camp meanwhile I'm gathering a nice "jury" to bring to the camp for the final verdict.

You can just straight out buy a manastone and JBoots are available forever, I mean eventually a merchant sells them, so is this entire thing about the Guise? Cause I go by the ass/sup room and there's frequently like 4-5 people on it.

I don't know, set your alarm clock OP?
Old 04-07-2020, 09:56 AM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-07-2020, 10:15 AM
Planar Protector

Y'all have been stockholm-syndromed by this place.

Sure classic EverQuest favored those with more free time. 100% true. But classic Everquest never had the massive mandatory time sinks that P99 has. No one sat waiting in a list for days for an item on live (as I've mentioned, GMs didn't even stay online for more than eight hours). No one stared at a raid boss's spawn point for days, or waited at a zone for days to race for an FTE.

All that is purely Rogean's unclassic way of dealing with different player knowledge vs. live. It's not classic EQ, so stop pretending it is: OP would at least have had a chance in classic EQ.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:16 AM
Planar Protector

More classic than classic.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:17 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by solleks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
More classic than classic.
Bullshit, it's a different game. One game is made for the most insane 0.01% of the player base, and rewards them the best stuff.

Then there's actual EQ, which gave everyone rewards proportional to the time they put in. Put in more time, get more good stuff: that's how classic EQ worked (not "you must meet a certain 'devotion to P99' time threshold" to get the good stuff).

The only "time thresholds" set in classic EQ came from the most uber raid guilds on the server setting their own membership requirements.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:19 AM
Planar Protector

250 people agree that Teal is the answer. Cast your vote to make your voice heard.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=353144
Old 04-07-2020, 10:24 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle2.0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
250 people agree that Teal is the answer. Cast your vote to make your voice heard.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=353144
I don't [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Maybe I'm feeling contrarian today, and please don't get me wrong, I do think Teal would be an improvement ... but it seems to me Teal addressed the symptom, not the cause.

Teal was amazing because it accidentally subverted the above in two ways: 1) most of the "competitors" stayed on Green, and 2) there were less players on Teal. Both those facts made it easier for people to "meet the threshold" and get mobs/items they couldn't on Green (especially post-merge).

In short, the beauty of Teal was its lower threshold. But ultimately, new servers with lower thresholds are lipstick on a pig, unless they address the underlying problem of having a threshold at all.

P99 has long had a difficult problem (making classic EQ with unclassic player knowledge), and to solve it they've tried to make two wrongs equal a right: they've tried to fight that knowledge with increasingly insane unclassic time sinks ... when the real solution is more "fake GM" mechanisms like /list.

As much as I've argued /list 1.0 isn't perfect, the idea of /list was 100% a step in the right direction! It's just that, as I've said in other threads, it needs to work more like player agreement rolls. As the players of this server have universally agreed, those are the best and most fair way to share limited classic EQ content, because there is no threshold. Everyone who shows up has a chance, and the people who show up more get more chances.

It's both a simple and a radical departure from the previous P99 idea to make "the good stuff" only be a giveaway to the 0.1% who "meet the threshold" ... but as I said at the start, I truly think it's more classic than an artificial threshold.

Last edited by loramin; 04-07-2020 at 10:44 AM..
Old 04-07-2020, 10:46 AM
Planar Protector

Without the /list and it's exclusion mechanism, no one but Seal Team would have a manastone. Any guild that can lock down the red wood spawn for six days straight would do the same for the manastone. That's EXACTLY what would happen 100%. You would NEVER get on the list because there would always be a dozen guild members ahead of you.

You can all thank Rogean for taking the time to make sure some people outside the uber-guilds get a shot at these. He should be given a medal for this.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Without the /list and it's exclusion mechanism, no one but Seal Team would have a manastone. Any guild that can lock down the red wood spawn for six days straight would do the same for the manastone. That's EXACTLY what would happen 100%. You would NEVER get on the list because there would always be a dozen guild members ahead of you.

You can all thank Rogean for taking the time to make sure some people outside the uber-guilds get a shot at these. He should be given a medal for this.
Amen. I'm a critical person, and I try to push ways to improve things ... but not acknowledging how much better /list 1.0 is over /list 0.0 would absolutely be:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

P.S. But, if popular items were all on some sort of "you have to show up and 'win a roll' to get them" system, NO ONE could ever lock down ANYTHING!

Old 04-07-2020, 10:52 AM
Planar Protector

the real problem is the wiki
Closed Thread