Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 06:47 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by purest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
student loans are non-defaultable, breh, so save the self-righteous finger wagging for when you actually wtf yer talkin' about
Quote:
Student Loans are defaultable. They just can't be discharged through bankruptcy. Pro-Tip: Next time spend 15 seconds and do a little research before hitting "Submit Reply". It could very easily mean the difference between a being a smart ass or looking like a dumb ass.

Azorath
Quote:
Originally Posted by purest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lets just take a look at your original quote which suggests that people can somehow discharge or be able to escape their student loans, a claim that is 100% false.

Miss a few student loans:

-Wage garnishment by a court order
-Suspension of state professional licenses
-Garnishment of social security/disability income
-Withholding IRS tax refunds

There is no statute of limitations, you WILL pay your student loans, even if it has to be deducted from your social security checks or those of your cosigner

You will never escape your student loans or be able to discharge them.

Pro-Tip: Next time spend 15 seconds and do a little research before hitting "Submit Reply". It could very easily mean the difference between a being a smart ass or looking like a dumb ass.
What the hell are you going on about?

I never said students could escape their student loans, I said they would drag out schooling with multiple degree paths until they got a job they wanted, knowing they would more than likely just default when the loans ran out.

You thought you would be Captain Smart Ass and said that student loans were "non-defaultable". Which is bullshit. They are defaultable. Not paying = defaulting.

You just proved that your original statement was wrong. Did you even know what defaulting was before you finally decided to hit up Wikipedia before your last post?

Azorath
Last edited by TheBlackSheep; 10-19-2011 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: You know what man, we're totally arguing over symantics here, which if you ask me, is kinda ridiculous. :)
Old 10-19-2011, 07:24 PM
Banned

lol, i'll just leave this here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackSheep
...so they simply go back to school for some other "degree" like game design or graphics design, knowing they can always just default on their loans if they still don't have the job they want in 10 years. Don't get me started on that bullshit.
you clearly have no idea how student loans work, as shown in the above statement in which you clearly imply that supposed "friends" of yours can simply rack up student debt, and then somehow escape them later

yes, your debt goes into default status when you don't pay it, in which case:

1. the fed gov't pays the full amount + interest to your loan servicer
2. the gov't sends a debt collection agency like GRC on you
3. GRC adds 25% collection fee + 28% commission to the loan
4. GRC gets their fucking money back, whether its by taking money from your paycheck or social security or tax refunds until they are paid. There is no statute of limitations, you WILL pay GRC.

So your little story about being able to go to school and just "default" is 100% pure, unadulterated bullshit.

I suggest looking at Wikipedia for 15 seconds before you make another retarded post and get logic'd by the purist again.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:51 PM
Fire Giant

there is forebearance and deferrment options available if you use federal aid, as long as you talk to FASFA you can keep pushing it back for years, but eventually yes you will have to pay it back

but going after some kind of federal loan shouldn't be your first action imo, there are pell grants you can get which almost fully cover expenses nowadays and you do not have to pay those back, if you need some extra money on top of those then go after loans.
Last edited by Gwence; 10-19-2011 at 07:54 PM..
Old 10-19-2011, 07:54 PM
Kobold

Quote:
lol, i'll just leave this here

you clearly have no idea how student loans work, as shown in the above statement in which you clearly imply that supposed "friends" of yours can simply rack up student debt, and then somehow escape them later

yes, your debt goes into default status when you don't pay it, in which case:

1. the fed gov't pays the full amount + interest to your loan servicer
2. the gov't sends a debt collection agency like GRC on you
3. GRC adds 25% collection fee + 28% commission to the loan
4. GRC gets their fucking money back, whether its by taking money from your paycheck or social security or tax refunds until they are paid. There is no statute of limitations, you WILL pay GRC.

So your little story about being able to go to school and just "default" is 100% pure, unadulterated bullshit.

I suggest looking at Wikipedia for 15 seconds before you make another retarded post and get logic'd by the purist again.
You really are bent on being an Internet Hero today aren't you. We all know what the effects of defaulting are, Captain America. You keep repeating them as if we don't know what could happen. We get it. We know. The meat and potatoes here is that you made an incorrect assumption, ran your neck without thinking about what you were saying (ie... "non-defaultable"), and are now trying to ballerina dance around your embarrassment by repeatedly referencing the effects of defaulting.

LOGIC dictates that if you had a clear understanding of the term as it was used, you would not have donned your cape, taken to the air, and said student loans are "non-defaultable". Of course they are defaultable, you just get your ass handed to you later.

What I was referencing are people who get degrees, but can't get the job they want ("Help Desk? Hell no! Blizzard will hire me with my new shiny game design degree, right!?"), so they go back to school to keep from having to pay on their loans, accepting the fact that there is a possibility they will default. It is a cycle I have seen several people do. It is bullshit because it is irresponsible and needlessly incurs more debt due to degrees that will more than likely not serve them conducively in their preferred career path.

Anyway, you're going to read what you want to read, with your super-duper logic skills, and I don't want to see this thread get tossed into the cesspool that is RnF, so back to the topic at hand.

Azorath
Old 10-19-2011, 08:17 PM
Banned

Didn't read but assume it's just more backpeddling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackSheep
...so they simply go back to school for some other "degree" like game design or graphics design, knowing they can always just default on their loans if they still don't have the job they want in 10 years. Don't get me started on that bullshit.
your "friends" of yours can't just rack up debt and somehow escape it later, they will pay it back whether it goes into default or not, so your "point" is completely retarded

try again
Old 10-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Didn't read but assume it's just more backpeddling.

your "friends" of yours can't just rack up debt and somehow escape it later, they will pay it back whether it goes into default or not, so your "point" is completely retarded

try again
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-19-2011, 09:07 PM
Skeleton

kinda going off topic from the pointless pissing contest

but ive been reading most of this thread with interest and im curious to see if i have summed up everyone's excellent opinions

getting certs as quickly as possible seems to be the main point
is that right?
Old 10-19-2011, 09:23 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0sFamiliar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
kinda going off topic from the pointless pissing contest

but ive been reading most of this thread with interest and im curious to see if i have summed up everyone's excellent opinions

getting certs as quickly as possible seems to be the main point
is that right?
Ya, sorry about the piss everywhere. Yes. To get in and get going in IT relatively quickly, certs + a bit of work experience (if possible), is the way to go. Once you're in, it gets easier. I can't speak for other companies, but we reimburse you if you take any Cisco or MS certification courses and pass while employed with us.

Azorath
Last edited by TheBlackSheep; 10-19-2011 at 09:26 PM..
Old 10-19-2011, 09:26 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackSheep [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ya, sorry about the piss everywhere. Yes. To get in and get going in IT relatively quickly, certs + a bit of work experience (if possible), is the way to go. Once you're in, it gets easier. I can't speak for other companies, but we reimburse you if you take any Cisco or MS certification courses and pass.

Azorath

Thank you, how long do those courses take, and(incoming possibly retarded question) do the certifications have expiration dates? cause maybe courses change and or what they teach in the courses?
Old 10-19-2011, 09:40 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0sFamiliar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thank you, how long do those courses take, and(incoming possibly retarded question) do the certifications have expiration dates? cause maybe courses change and or what they teach in the courses?
Not a retarded question at all. The courses don't really have a set duration unless you are taking it at technical school or organized certification course. I took most of mine after reading the books and participating in some study groups with some fellow engineers that I work with. We all took the exams on our own time, which was immediately for some, and a few months later for others.

Cisco certification paths generally expire after 3 years. MS certs expire or become inactive when Microsoft discontinues and/or significantly upgrades an aspect of their technology enough that they feel it requires a re-cert.

All you need to know about MS Certs (scroll down to the lifespan subsection):

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en...rted.aspx#tab3

Cisco:

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le...aths_home.html

VMWare:

http://mylearn.vmware.com/portals/certification/

Azorath
Closed Thread