Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 11-10-2019, 07:28 PM
Large Bat

Default Poor performance

My 2 cents for ultra poor performance -

On a 5 year old laptop, also have embedded Intel 4000 video.

On Linux Mint checked under 'Driver Manager'
Had to make sure Intel microcode drivers were 'activated'.
Sorry, can't advise how that exists with other systems.

Major updates I think tended to reset this and would find the game running at terrible FPS. Switching it back and it was reasonable.

Still no powerhouse, but can play most zone without major issue.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:57 PM
Sarnak

Default no sound fx or music

Hello everyone

im having some problems with being away for a few months and coming back to no sound
no sound issue is localized to only EQ
if anyone know the sound requirements i will investigate in meeting those
also my script to start looks like

Quote:
#!/bin/bash
~/mimd/p99mimd &
echo $! >/tmp/p99middle.pid
cd "$HOME/.wine/drive_c/EQEmu"
WINEPREFIX="${HOME}/.wine" wine eqgame.exe patchme 2>/dev/null
kill -9 $(cat /tmp/p99middle.pid)
the pastebin is my log upto character screen where i should be able to hear my melee guy swing
https://pastebin.com/Qh8xT2GJ

also my eqclient.ini says Sound=TRUE
Old 11-11-2019, 11:59 PM
Sarnak

Default no sound fx or music

nm everyone downgraded my wine and the sound came back
Old 03-18-2020, 05:06 PM
Banned

Hi, i'm a new linux user, and i copied over my install from windows inside the wine directory, but i cant figure out how to create a desktop shortcut for eqgame.exe, i'm using linux mint 19.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:21 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feracitus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hi, i'm a new linux user, and i copied over my install from windows inside the wine directory, but i cant figure out how to create a desktop shortcut for eqgame.exe, i'm using linux mint 19.
Hi there! Idk mint but it should be the same.
Make a new file on your desktop with .sh at the end of the name. Edit the file with a text editor.
Code:
cd "/home/username/.wine/yourEQfolder" && wine eqgame.exe patchme
Let me know if not.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:39 AM
Fire Giant

Google is your friend [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

https://superuser.com/questions/1219...-mint-18-or-up

OMNI Officer (Retired from EQ)
Check out my P99 Hunting Guide!
Old 03-19-2020, 01:04 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol87 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Make a new file on your desktop with .sh at the end of the name. Edit the file with a text editor.
Code:
Let me know if not.
Really should make a .desktop file, that's what the google links should tell ya. Make sure it's +x
Old 03-26-2020, 04:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol87 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Code:
Let me know if not.
so i was able to create the shortcut like this by substituting with my path, but when i try to launch i get an error: "there was an error launching this application" (that's a translation from my native language)

i also tried making a launcher following the tutorial on https://superuser.com/questions/1219...-mint-18-or-up, but that didnt work either.

Quote:
Really should make a .desktop file, that's what the google links should tell ya. Make sure it's +x
I did name it EQ.Desktop, didnt work, and i'm noob to the point i don't really know what +x means.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:12 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feracitus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
so i was able to create the shortcut like this by substituting with my path, but when i try to launch i get an error: "there was an error launching this application" (that's a translation from my native language)

i also tried making a launcher following the tutorial on https://superuser.com/questions/1219...-mint-18-or-up, but that didnt work either.

I did name it EQ.Desktop, didnt work, and i'm noob to the point i don't really know what +x means.
"+x" is UNIX-speak for "add executable permissions to the file". UNIX controls which users on your computer can access which files in three ways: it can let a use read (R), write (ie modify; W), or execute (ie. run; X) that file.

When you right-click on the file and choose properties, or at the command line by using the "chmod" command, you can change which permissions a user has on a file. When you do it at the command line, you use pluses and minuses to add/remove permissions. For instance "chmod a+x foo.file" would give ("+") execute ("x") permissions to all ("a") users on foo.file.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:59 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"+x" is UNIX-speak for "add executable permissions to the file". UNIX controls which users on your computer can access which files in three ways: it can let a use read (R), write (ie modify; W), or execute (ie. run; X) that file.

When you right-click on the file and choose properties, or at the command line by using the "chmod" command, you can change which permissions a user has on a file. When you do it at the command line, you use pluses and minuses to add/remove permissions. For instance "chmod a+x foo.file" would give ("+") execute ("x") permissions to all ("a") users on foo.file.
To follow up on this, a while back most linux distributions require .desktop files to be executable or they would not show up as shortcuts. It is a security thing.

.sh files always needed to be executable.

Sorry for the shorthand.