Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Old 03-18-2024, 03:03 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hell, they didn't even anticipate the need for rules/play nice policy at launch lol.
thats downright adorable

like the Ultima Online deva creating an ecosystem for the games wildlife, only to watch the first wave of players kill every last creature across the land, immediately wrecking the intended balance of prey/predator wildlife
Old 03-19-2024, 12:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnair [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
did you read the Spoilers at top of that link? thats all i know about it

seems from the email exchange there, that players were basically creating new tactics in real time as the devs in turn mostly patched out those tactics if they were considered "exploits" based somewhat on the personal feeling of the devs. in this case, they said that all mobs should be able to move to a player they want to attack. im willing to bet that some of the most common p99 raid tactics would have, in era on live, been considered exploits based possibly entirely on how consistently successful they are. multiple times Brad tells the guild leaders in this exchange: "this is the current endgame content and it being done risk free or with less than 60 players was not intended and if you managed it we will be looking at how to prevent your tactics from being usable"

so idk if the players just sucked or if it was that they werent really allowed to push the envelope on breaking the game.
Sleepers is indoor zone. Can just use any wall to achieve the same thing, as far as I understand it.
Old 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnair [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
did you read the Spoilers at top of that link? thats all i know about it

seems from the email exchange there, that players were basically creating new tactics in real time as the devs in turn mostly patched out those tactics if they were considered "exploits" based somewhat on the personal feeling of the devs. in this case, they said that all mobs should be able to move to a player they want to attack. im willing to bet that some of the most common p99 raid tactics would have, in era on live, been considered exploits based possibly entirely on how consistently successful they are. multiple times Brad tells the guild leaders in this exchange: "this is the current endgame content and it being done risk free or with less than 60 players was not intended and if you managed it we will be looking at how to prevent your tactics from being usable"

so idk if the players just sucked or if it was that they werent really allowed to push the envelope on breaking the game.
I haven't gotten through the whole exchange yet because work keeps getting in the way, but so far it seems like the overall point is they found a space where the mob couldn't get to at all (under the bridge) even if you aggroed it and therefore you were totally free from risk (other than if you were summoned, which also has a CD meaning you could hope to kill the mob before it could summon and kill enough people).
Old 04-23-2024, 05:15 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Because when I was a kid my next door neighbor found a spot in highpass or high keep (I can't remember which) where you could climb on the roofs of buildings and nuke NPCs, and they couldn't reach you. This allowed him to safely kill very high level mobs, and gain a ton of experience. He gained a lot of levels and made a decent amount of platinum, and then one day he was banned for 2 days, but he said it was still worth it and that he would do it again because of how much experience and $ he made.

I think it got patched pretty soon afterwards, but I sometimes wonder if other EQ veterans were aware of this or even remember it.
I got warned by a Guide for doing this in 1999 on my druid Nwedar on Fennin Ro [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

It was definitely worth it though.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:05 AM
Planar Protector

This was common practice in Freeport, at least on Tunare server. GMs would arrive on the scene pretty quick and issue warnings/threaten players until they came down. Basically anywhere on top of the walls, the guards couldn't attack and would just run at relentlessly.
Old 04-23-2024, 12:15 PM
Fire Giant

message boards (HHK) for reference
Z axis culling of high level mobs
ghosting (manually throttling your connection to dupe items and plat)
coin drop

ahh fun times