Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 10:32 AM
Kobold

Big Thank You to the Staff!
It was a fun event, I was on my ranger in SK so I zoned over. Not that I was able to do any real damage at that level, those knockbacks took off almost 1/4 of my health each time.

No idea what items were going to the highest randoms despite winning one. I got bugged when summoned before Galach and couldn't open a trade window, hahaha now that classic. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

A big Thanks to Shammazing (hope I spelled that correctly) he inspected me before it started and gave me a Lamentation used it instead of my Springwood club in the offhand.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:54 AM
Sarnak

Pras 'Gean and the staff for a great event! That turnout was very telling for Green expectations - it's gonna be crazy!
Old 10-07-2019, 10:55 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What? I think it dropped like 5-6 items in the zone I was in. Three of them being Pegasus cloaks.
No, it didn't. People in the zone you were in messed with you.
Dialectica Logicae - Gnome Wizard
Tuminy Altz - Halfling Druid
Tipsey McStaggers - Ogre Shaman
Medikku Saishi - Koada'Dal Cleric
Lavander Gooms - Teir'Dal Cleric
Old 10-07-2019, 12:26 PM
Fire Giant

First and most importantly I hope things related to the family emergency improve as best they can. We are all wishing and praying for a hopeful recovery for any and everyone involved.

Now about the event. No one expects 900 guises as was said previously in this thread. Please don't be unreasonable, however maybe reward more than 00.5% of the participants for an event that dragged players along for hours on a Sunday/Monday.

You gave away 4 guises for 800+ people that's rewarding so few. This was a 10 year anniversary no less. So many people claiming that 4 guises is amazing I completely disagree. Give out 10 to celebrate 10 years. Rewarding less than 00.5% of participants for 3-4 hours seems way too conservative, even if you gave out 8-9 guises at a closer to 1% participant reward rate I would say you are being way too conservative.

A very classically scary mob. We were all hoping you would spawn something more creative. Terrorantula, lockjaw, quillmane, giant of any kind, ghoul lord, nagafen, vox, efreeti, idk maybe something other than a griffon (NK and IC). Honestly if you just spawned Cazic Thule (god) and saved us all time we would have appreciated it.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:29 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkmarino [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You gave away 4 guises for 800+ people that's rewarding so few. This was a 10 year anniversary no less. So many people claiming that 4 guises is amazing I completely disagree. Give out 10 to celebrate 10 years. Rewarding less than 00.5% of participants for 3-4 hours seems way too conservative, even if you gave out 8-9 guises at a closer to 1% participant reward rate I would say you are being way too conservative.
So much whining on this thread. You got your participation trophies: three illusion potions per attendee was pretty cool, even if you just end up selling them like a lot of folks did.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:43 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiltan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So much whining on this thread. You got your participation trophies: three illusion potions per attendee was pretty cool, even if you just end up selling them like a lot of folks did.
Yes it's a complaint, do you have anything other obvious points to make?
Old 10-07-2019, 12:45 PM
Sarnak

Made a whole thread in RNF for people to post their stories of toxic pixel greed, so we can keep server chat wholesome, productive and respectful. Use it folks!
Old 10-07-2019, 12:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhord99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
so we can keep server chat wholesome, productive and respectful. Use it folks!
Are you new here? :P
Old 10-07-2019, 12:53 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrydar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Are you new here? :P
Haha, fair point. I should expect this kind of talk. Obviously the free stuff we got in the game we play for free when the staff that donate their time for free spent some hours struggling to solve issues so that they could run an event for free is going to result in some people feeling ripped off.

My bad.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkmarino [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
First and most importantly I hope things related to the family emergency improve as best they can. We are all wishing and praying for a hopeful recovery for any and everyone involved.

Now about the event. No one expects 900 guises as was said previously in this thread. Please don't be unreasonable, however maybe reward more than 00.5% of the participants for an event that dragged players along for hours on a Sunday/Monday.

tbh I think this is correct. I had something similar in my post but deleted it so as not to detract from saying thanks. I don't think you're coming from a selfish place, and I hope the staff don't feel unappreciated reading your post. imo it's coming from a place of passion about p99 and speaks to how things often turn toxic on p99 when we allow things to become too relatively scarce.

at the end of the day everquest is played by people, and people respond a certain way to scarcity. guises and other legacy items have been handed out so rarely over many years that their perceived valued is simply stratospheric, and the certain way people respond to that tends to be irrational. even as someone who mostly doesn't care for guises and who already owns most legacy items, it ends up negatively affecting my event experience too because in the back of their minds people are disappointed they never had a "real chance" at something they desperately want. like i'm not saying it's rational, but it is a very human way to respond to scarcity. even if you announced no aspirational content would ever be given out again, it would still be there in the back of people's minds, just in case you change your mind again.

i also think you're right to talk about the chances. aspirational content is good but there can be too much of a good thing, you need more than lemons to make lemonade, etc. if gm events gave participants a 5% chance rather than 0.5% chance to win their manastone, it would not make me enjoy my ~legitimate~ manastone any less, but people would leave events with a sense of "dang i'll get it next time" contributing to a sense of excitement about the event rather than undermining their ability to enjoy the staff's hard work fully.

hopefully one takeaway for future events in addition to "better spread the players out over zones than have one big event" can be "better give participants a significant chance at aspirational content than a guaranteed minor reward."