Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 04:54 PM
Planar Protector

Default Why don't more people play here?

Quote:
These records show more than 225,000 subscriptions on 1 November 1999, with an increase to more than 450,000 subscriptions by 25 September 2003.
With a peak population of ~ 2,000 active players (including red and blue servers), that seems quite small when you look at the amount of active subscribers in the classic era of EverQuest. What reasons do you think we do not have more players here? Do people not like pre-luclin gameplay/content? Do people just not know that P99 exists? Kids that played 16 years ago are now adults and have no interest in online games?

I understand when SoV is released, the population will increase, but with more than 200,000 subscribers in 1999, you would think that more people would be inclined to play here, especially since it's free. I would like one day to see the population grow so much that the devs are able to open a second server identical to the current servers.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:00 PM
Banned

hard to keep that many people happy when the staff is all volunteer
Old 07-05-2015, 05:05 PM
Planar Protector

It's an emulator. Emulated servers traditionally suck. This one doesn't as much and the fact we have 1% of the old EQ subscriber base is proof. 2k people is a LOT.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:15 PM
Fire Giant

Because WoW.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:32 PM
Planar Protector

Getting everything installed is a pain, having to jump through all those hoops to get started probably loses us quite a few people.

Add to that there's some people out there who think the only method to get the right version is to pay $100 or whatever on Amazon... not many want to pay it I'm sure.

Honestly if we had a deal with Dey break Games and could put a link up to download from here with an installer that would set everything up with the current patch in one click... we'd probably have 4000-5000 here.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4EQWASCOOL [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Because WoW.
umm WoW is at lowest point in last 5 years. Even my hardcore wow-friend stopped playing without even finishing Draenor's solo leveling.

People just bored of being stuck in same content for years.

[Zuranthium;1453395]
The people who invented the first space ships were brilliant. That doesn't mean anybody should actually want to use them 200 years later. Ideas are limited by means of execution. Everquest has amazing ideas that need to be completely reworked in their execution, in order for classic Everquest as it was envisioned to actually exist and continue to be relevant as things have evolved.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kika Maslyaka [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
umm WoW is at lowest point in last 5 years. Even my hardcore wow-friend stopped playing without even finishing Draenor's solo leveling.

You unlocked an achievement: Opening the achievement screen.

...oh, great. Bye.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:41 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kika Maslyaka [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Read your last sentence again and think.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Getting everything installed is a pain
I forgot to mention this, good point. It's been years since I've set up P99, but I do remember it being a little bit of a pain. You're right, a 1 click set-up making it easier to start here may increase the pop quite a bit.

It's hard to believe that people "growing up" prevents them from playing here. I've got a full time job, a wife, and 2 kids and I still find time to play.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4EQWASCOOL [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Read your last sentence again and think.
producing crappy new content is just as bad as having 5 years old content that never changes. I see no contradictions here.

[Zuranthium;1453395]
The people who invented the first space ships were brilliant. That doesn't mean anybody should actually want to use them 200 years later. Ideas are limited by means of execution. Everquest has amazing ideas that need to be completely reworked in their execution, in order for classic Everquest as it was envisioned to actually exist and continue to be relevant as things have evolved.
Closed Thread