Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 06-07-2016, 07:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywolf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Or try taking your own advice and read up one post, hah.

--

anyway, imo 2 in 1 is the way to go. f desktops.
ok, so a gaming-ish 2 in 1 will set you back, and a major architecture change is coming to outdate most systems, but still plenty of low cost laptops to be had until then which will still be useful after we reach quantum speeds.
"my pc won't start at all"

"i think you need more ram"

k
Old 06-07-2016, 07:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"my pc won't start at all"

"i think you need more ram"

k
I already know that, which wasn't the issue from earlier where we (not you) were trying to help. Quit parroting other peoples helpful posts trying to troll.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:34 AM
Fire Giant

I only browsed this thread quickly, so sorry if someone else already beat me to some of this info.

First, in reference to microcenter suggestions - if you have one near you it is definitely worth buying some components there. Their processor prices are ridiculous, however, I've been told that their strategy is often to sell processors cheap, and even sometimes at a loss for sales, but bank on the fact that most people buying a new processor are also going to snag at least a mobo and probably some memory, and potentially other components as well. So if you build your own, hit them up for the processor for sure, but shop around on other pieces.

Also if you're building your own, definitely wait for the new Pascal and Polaris video cards. Everything I've heard about the nvidia pascal cards indicates they're going to be affordable and a big step forward from the 9 series (which is crazy since the 9 series was pretty dope, at least in terms of power consuption to performance). I've also heard the new AMD polaris cards might rival the nvidia cards, but I have no idea how much that is based in reality vs just being wishful thinking from everyone who hates seeing a couple companies dominate the market. Polaris is using a smaller architecture (14nm vs 16nm), and potentially GDDR5X in their non-flagship models, so definitely worth a look.

As for laptop vs desktop, unless you plan to be on the the move a lot I can't really see a good argument for a laptop. Slowly upgrading my desktop over time has saved me a ton of money, and throwing the stuff I replace into a second PC means it is still useful. There is some upgrading you can do for a laptop, but eventually youre going to have to replace the whole thing. If you do go laptop I would definitely suggest future proofing a bit by ensuring it has usb-c and a good processor. Usb-c will hopefully let you use an external graphics card soon (razor already released a docking station), so the processor will end up being what forces an upgrade.

I've been doing some research on parts since I'm thinking about finally upgrading my i5 2500k with a broadwell-e, so if you decide to build your own, feel free to post a budget and I can probably offer some suggestions.

Edit: read some more of the thread and thought I'd add a couple suggestions...

If you do build your own and considering your price range, look for some old Haswell deals. Slickdeals.net has had quite a few deals on 4690 and 4790 + mobo combos ever since the skylake processors were released. Those are i7 processors, which you probably dont need, so look for deals on the haswell i5s (i5 4xxx) too. I'm pretty sure I saw some 4690 + mobo + memory deals in the $200-300 range though. Could definitely add a PSU, small SSD, and reuse HDD and case from your old PC to bring the total in under $500.
Last edited by Loke; 06-08-2016 at 12:02 PM..
Old 06-10-2016, 10:53 AM
Large Rat

I've been grooving on these little Intel NUC systems.

Total example:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-146-_-Product

Can even do the combo deal halfway down to tack on SSD and RAM; for like $350 you have a decent little system.

I plan on building a dedicated system for P99 later this year with one of these -- HDMI to TV so I can super couch potato!