Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 09:54 PM
Banned

I'm having fun with a Titan Weapons Brute atm.

The momentum system is pretty cool.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:53 PM
Fire Giant

I've been messing around with a Fire / Dark corruptor while waiting for the issue 24 build to be completed. Looks like 2-3 more weeks, possibly. The corruptor on paper seems to be only on par with a Defender if you're playing both of them solo, and have Assault from the leadership pool running. I've really taken a liking to Scourge though as that allows the corruptor to pull well ahead of the defender in making things dead, especially with Fire as the attack. Oddly enough, in a side by side comparison the corruptor really doesn't give much up in terms of power values against the defender when using the Dark Miasma pool for buffs / debuffs. It's a classic good fit.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:11 AM
Banned

Rain of Fire + Tar Pit = super happy fun times. enjoy it
In some rooms where 2-4 groups come at you at once it is just a nonstop deathpit of super happy funtimes.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:55 AM
Fire Giant

The lower levels of this game used to be a nightmare, endurance always ran out, lots of deaths etc.

At the later patch levels, Cryptic actually gave the fitness powers to level 1s to help with this. It somewhat "trivialized" some lower end content, but as you level up you will definitely see the difficulty increase. It is still very soloable, and the ability to adjust the difficulty of your mission instances makes it so you can challenge yourself as much as you would like.

Really enjoying this, of course I have like 18 characters and none above level 32, but that is the beauty of City of Heroes, who cares?
Old 05-06-2019, 10:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gildor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The lower levels of this game used to be a nightmare, endurance always ran out, lots of deaths etc.

At the later patch levels, Cryptic actually gave the fitness powers to level 1s to help with this. It somewhat "trivialized" some lower end content, but as you level up you will definitely see the difficulty increase. It is still very soloable, and the ability to adjust the difficulty of your mission instances makes it so you can challenge yourself as much as you would like.
Yeah, I made a Savage Melee/Bio Armor Brute that absolutely crushed and sailed through the first 20 or so levels.

Then I started dying on missions and thought "Is the game broken?" because I was so used to being near invincible.

If you haven't yet, try a Savage Melee/Bio Brute, they're insane. You also have permanent Endurance from the get go.

You get +Recovery in Bio early on and the combo system of Savage Melee stacks Endurance discount as well as +Recharge.

Couple that with Brute's Fury and you have an unstoppable monster.

Just need to load up on +Accuracy enhancements because it all depends on you landing attacks.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:52 PM
Banned

lol

Quote:
There's a lot of implicit storytelling, narrative assumptions, and philosophical expositions on good and evil that I barely registered as a teenager 15 years ago, but today I find myself raising an eyebrow and seeing as evidence that the game has not aged well from a social and political perspective.

The heavy military checkpoints, the treatment of youth gangs as irredeemable evildoers deserving mass incarceration, the treatment of addiction as a moral failing rather than a disease, the fact that King's Row is explicitly a hellish slum occupied by the working class and yet the player is expected to work tirelessly as a protector of the status quo, the alienation (double entendre here) of the homeless as sewer dwelling monsters and not victims of failed social policy, etc. There's even a part of the new Skulls story arc where a character heavily implies to a pair of demure female recruits that they have to sleep with him in order to move up in the organization, and then in the next mission he's proudly bragging to a friend about doing it. Was that subplot really necessary to help me feel repulsed by a gang of death worshipping drug pushers?

I'm sophisticated enough a consumer of culture nowadays to be able to reject the facile "it's a story about gangs / villains / evil so of course it's going to have these things in it!" As a replacement for critically thinking about why a designer or writer chose to very uncritically include all these themes into their work of fiction. I definitely was not sophisticated enough when I was 18 in 2004 and thrilled to be designing the spiny Bramble hero that became my internet pseudonym afterwards.

I still love the game and play it every spare moment I have, don't get me wrong. But it is interesting to see how our perspectives, and the "facts" we are willing to accept with question, can shift over time like this, isn't it?
Old 05-07-2019, 08:21 AM
Decaying Skeleton

It turns out that when superhero MMO City of Heroes was shut down at the end of 2012, it was only mostly dead. For six years, it was kept alive by essay experts fans on a secret private server. In the wake of that server’s discovery last week, the City of Heroes community has been thrown into chaos.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:26 AM
Banned

lots of blasters
lots of masterminds
a couple of brutes
a scrapper

its almost 9 in the fucking morning and all i want is more after playing for 11 hours.

New thug/dark mastermind, few DfB trials that lead to most of them doing a positron TF then the other half and before ya know it we were on synapes and yadda yadda yadda level 32. we finished citadel and that was that. i dont remember the last time i felt like this about eq.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:18 AM
Fire Giant

yep, it is ridiculous..and graphically it aged very well

xp is now tuned back on all shards, and looks like it will be for a while..

the costs are astronomical to keep this thing running, and they are not accepting any type of donations

someone with some deep pockets is either funding this or its not going to last very long..

Try an electric/shield brute....AoE for days and damn near unkillable, I run my solo missions at team size 4 and +3 difficulty
Old 05-07-2019, 09:38 AM
Banned

Running a Street Justice/Willpower Brute atm.

Wrecking fools
Closed Thread