Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 12:32 AM
Planar Protector

Free accounts and modern clients change things significantly relative to 20 years ago. EQ wouldn't even alt-tab in the early days. That's why it's called "multi-boxing," people literally needed multiple computers. Hence boxing existed but tended to be the exception rather than the norm. As other posters have mentioned, look at what happens on other emulators that permit multi-character playing--in all cases it runs rampant and leads to dead or near-dead servers with miniscule communities. P1999's no-boxing rule attracts and keeps a lot of players including some who prefer other eras of the game better than the classic period. It's the right rule for the environment and conditions.

Danth
Old 01-07-2020, 12:09 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkas [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
this a great answer, ty.
so you don't mind it per say, just how it's abused.
If you played during PoP and your guild leader boxed then you should know how it gets abused. I also played during PoP and saw boxing get abused heavily. There were even places in Luclin where boxing was abused. Either you don't know what the hell you're talking about (ie, really don't how boxing can lead to abuse) or are deliberately being obtuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkas [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i appreciate your reply. but boxing and bot'g are two different things.
Semantics

Quote:
ty for your reply
agree to disagree.
boxing (unlike bot'g) was allowed afaik so the classic claim doesn't hold for me, sorry. i could have maybe met you halfway with full group boxing.

again, i'm not looking to change the rules, just trying to get a feel for the community.

regards.
Bullshit. If you really wanted to get a feel for the community you would have simply searched for threads relating to boxing. I just did a search on the word "boxing" at the top of the page and got over 500 hits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chintofv [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't feel bad Stinkas. A lot of people instantly want to jump on anyone that has a legit question and act like they are the only ones that ever played EQ back in the day. For me, I used to box back on live in 1999-2000, but I was living in a dorm and had a T1 line back then and could afford 2 accounts. Now, sadly, computers would allow someone to easily box 6+ accounts all windowed, which would actually ruin many zones. Given the amount of neckbeards that are willing to camp 18+ hours for a semi useful item merely to have a chance of making money in a couple of years, you can only imagine how said players would exploit being able to six box.
If it was a legit question that would be one thing. He's acting like an edgy 15 year old that's smarter than the rest of the server. Many of us are old, not senile or stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chintofv [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why be a douche and assume the guy is trying to game the system? Not everybody thinks like you do. Look at the guys join date. He literally has been here less than a month.
There's a search function. He could take 10 minutes out of his life and learn everything he's asking about if that was his true goal. To me and others like me this thread is a guy trying to normalize edgy behavior or is trying to figure out how he can box without any repercussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Roshi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Were your parents murdered by a 2 Boxer in a dark alley? The dude just asked why the policy exists, he even stated at the onset that he isn't lobbying for change. You lack of play-nice could get you banned just as easily as a boxer if this is how you roll on the server.
If he wanted to learn about boxing he could have searched for it like I just did. It's a rather easy process. As I said above, many of us see this thread as an attempt to normalize boxing behavior.

Dear "I just want to know why" people....not sure if you realize it or not but what you're doing/asking is known in the psychology world at "Normalizing Behavior".

Start out asking questions that are known to be against the rules, societal norms or even against the law. This doesn't only apply to P99 but it applies to dam near every type of behavior that living creatures do. The more times the question is raised the more normal it becomes.

Once the ice has been broken continue to chip around the edges to find a weak spot in hopes of gaining traction somewhere. In this instance you're acting like a victim when people tell you to knock it off. Many of us here have heard the same crap over and over. We're basically tired of telling you to knock it off. You could have used search and found answers to your question several times over.

Your "agree to disagree" is tiring. This is Rogen and Nilbog's house. I personally am very grateful they're letting me and others in here. Hell, I even bring a case of beer (ie, paypal donation) on top of agreeing to behave respectfully (ie, follow their rules). Nothing is saying I have to share a beer with the house owners but it's called respect; reap what you sow. If you disagree with a stance you're welcome to get the hell out of the sandbox they are providing is wonderful; we like this sandbox! If you don't like the rules of this sandbox go make your own sandbox or play in a different sandbox that allows you to throw handfuls of mud at each other....shit doesn't fly here.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:56 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

You seem like an angry guy. If I ever need to hire a lawyerquesting attorney, I’ll put you on retainer. You have a real knack for taking down strawmen.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
EQ was different things for different people. what that being the case i can't say the way you experienced it was wrong. that is not for me to say. however, back in the day people boxed (different from bot'g). i can't even recall if it was against the rules then.

my first, and only, guild leader boxed. we were a small guild back then (we eventually hovered in the 3-5 spot in PoP). he would play his main and depending on who logged in that day fire up an alt to fill in the necessary slot to form a group (as we had several doing different things). With alt in tow we would group up and adventure forth, sometimes his wife's druid or sometimes one of his own. He still actively recruited mind you, but in his mind he wanted to respect the time of the people who logged in at the time frame that was considered guild time. he also trade-skilled like a beast to support us (this gets a mention because of the factions). i highly respected this and supported him because of it. he used boxing to make sure no one was left out - as a tool. i would hardly call his actions anti-social.

like i said, i can't say the way you experienced EQ was wrong. nor can anyone say the way i experienced it was either. and yes, back in the day people boxed.

respectfully, i disagree, but thank you for your reply. like i said, i'm not looking to change the rules. just giving a different viewpoint and get a feel for the server's viewpoints.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Free accounts and modern clients change things significantly relative to 20 years ago. EQ wouldn't even alt-tab in the early days. That's why it's called "multi-boxing," people literally needed multiple computers. Hence boxing existed but tended to be the exception rather than the norm. As other posters have mentioned, look at what happens on other emulators that permit multi-character playing--in all cases it runs rampant and leads to dead or near-dead servers with miniscule communities. P1999's no-boxing rule attracts and keeps a lot of players including some who prefer other eras of the game better than the classic period. It's the right rule for the environment and conditions.

Danth
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-10-2020, 12:53 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I'm in the process of moving over from an eqemu server that permits boxing. It literally kills the game. I despise boxing. Let me rephrase that. I despise trying to run more than one character myself, as it just sucks all the fun out of the game for me. Grouping was the best part of EQ. (Also the worst if your groupmates sucked.)

I personally don't care if people want to box, I'd just rather not be on a server with them because it kills any chance of finding regular groups. Post about how you want to group, you get a bunch of PMs responding how to install veryvanilla or kissassist and which toons to level up in order to make your own group. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-11-2020, 01:40 PM
Large Rat

Default /Smacks forehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by branamil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Because if you go to get some xp and the best spots are taken by some loser with a bot army, you'll get bored and log off. Then the server would just end up being 5 fat unemployed dudes running around with their bots
Hey! and maybe one or two ladies! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] #ninjasmile2020
Old 01-13-2020, 12:45 PM
Planar Protector

If you are interested in boxing, head on over to the TAK Project website - its not Velious locked but its the nearest populated emulator thats boxing friendly up to 3 accounts.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:08 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default It's not classic...

I didn't notice anyone mention this so I will, PC's back in 1999 (when I started playing) were not capable of running multiple instances of EQ at the same time for a few reasons. They just weren't fast enough for one thing and secondly you couldn't even run EQ in windowed mode because it would CTD. I had popups from viruses crashing EQ constantly which was rampant back in '99. On top of that most (if not all of us) were playing over a dial-up connection that couldn't handle the load of boxing. I would get kicked off the internet if someone made a call to my house phone. My point is boxing ruins an EQ server and it definitely is not classic.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:31 PM
Sarnak

I remember I couldn't run with spell effects showing back in the day or my computer would overheat and freeze up.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:53 AM
Server GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkranger [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I didn't notice anyone mention this so I will, PC's back in 1999 (when I started playing) were not capable of running multiple instances of EQ at the same time for a few reasons. They just weren't fast enough for one thing and secondly you couldn't even run EQ in windowed mode because it would CTD. I had popups from viruses crashing EQ constantly which was rampant back in '99. On top of that most (if not all of us) were playing over a dial-up connection that couldn't handle the load of boxing. I would get kicked off the internet if someone made a call to my house phone. My point is boxing ruins an EQ server and it definitely is not classic.
That's pretty much it. Also it goes against the social aspect of the game. We enforce it heavily and you will be suspended or banned if caught boxing.
Closed Thread