Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 02-17-2023, 08:39 AM
Aviak

Default High Res 4x AI Upscaling Texture Problem

https://www.reddit.com/r/project1999..._problem_that/

Taken form the post:

"I was basking in how great P99 looks with the 4X Hi Res texture pack today when I noticed these odd pictures on the wall in Felwithe.

So while AI upscaling has done some amazing work overall, especially on the materials side of things (rock, grass, wood, marble, metals) managing to resolve an extraordinary amount of detail from extremely low res original textures... it has really dropped the ball on this and turned the nice little maps of Norrath this kind high elf has on the wall into swirling blobs of idk what.

I've no idea where to put this or if anyone cares - but in terms of getting P1999 to look perfect, I hope someone out there familiar with the textures / 4X project sees this. There are probably many more sneaky little textures in P1999 that have been mistreated by the otherwise fantastic AI [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]"

I found this very interesting and would be keen to hear if anyone has any thoughts on what could be done to fix this and if this might be a common problem in EQ (certain textures getting garbled by AI like this)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AI_upscaling_EQ_maps_bad.jpg (104.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg YaBVSCS.jpg (23.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-17-2023, 09:16 AM
Planar Protector

Interesting - let me reach out to Sorn and see if they have any information.

-Mcoy
Old 02-17-2023, 09:18 AM
Large Bat

It's not some new fangled AI that did this - that's actually the texture Sony sent out in the Luclin "HD" textures. (texture is called mapinwalmaps inside of felwithea.s3d)

They outright replaced a lot of them with a completely different feel to them - the castle walls in Qeynos being the one I disliked the most. I've been working on an upscaled texture pack for a long time using the original textures, but some of them are soooo tiny that upscaling them makes them look like drawings a kindergartner did.

I'll add that one to my list of things to look out for. Not that I'll ever finish it, but hey it's fun.
Old 02-17-2023, 09:29 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jududdar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's not some new fangled AI that did this - that's actually the texture Sony sent out in the Luclin "HD" textures. (texture is called mapinwalmaps inside of felwithea.s3d)

They outright replaced a lot of them with a completely different feel to them - the castle walls in Qeynos being the one I disliked the most. I've been working on an upscaled texture pack for a long time using the original textures, but some of them are soooo tiny that upscaling them makes them look like drawings a kindergartner did.

I'll add that one to my list of things to look out for. Not that I'll ever finish it, but hey it's fun.
I love these texture packs so I hugely appreciate you work on this - I really do hope you'll continue and share more soon!
Old 02-17-2023, 10:59 AM
Planar Protector

hewwo

we did not touch the environment stuff, that's from the official sony release

as the EQ classic team has disbanded, there will be no further updates as far as I know.

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99
Old 02-17-2023, 04:28 PM
Aviak

Looks like your reddit thread already explained how to fix this, but you just copy/paste the maps you want over the maps you don't in the texture that jududdar pointed out. It's a 5-10 minute fix.