Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 01:03 PM
Planar Protector

Default Which class did you surprisingly enjoy the most and why?

My biggest enjoyment in P99 was coming back and getting to try different classes that I never did on live. Back in the classic days, I always thought enchanters sucked. Pretty much a class that could only group. Even on the current P99 wiki it says chanters are primarily designed for groups and need them to reach their full potential. This is clearly not the case with all the ridiculous things they can do solo. I leveled one on here mostly solo with some random duo/trios straight to 60 and it was a blast. Almost want to do it again.

What class/build have you enjoyed the most that you didn’t expect?
Last edited by Crede; 02-23-2018 at 01:13 PM..
Old 02-23-2018, 01:09 PM
Banned

Wasn't sure how I was going to like Necromancer since I really enjoy grouping and everyone touts the necros solo ability. Turns out its one of the most powerful classes on P99 and is probably my favorite class over all for grouping and camping rare spawns. No one told me Necromancers are exceptional healers!!!! Back in 00' I would see necromancers running around with the Spectre pet and I always thought how cool it would be to turn into a skeleton and have a spectre pet. Today - thanks to P99 - this reality is mine, and it is just as glorious as it looked back in 00'.

I am also leveling up a Druid right now (43). In the past I was the asshole that would not invite Druids to a group because I found them completely worthless. Now I only find them partially worthless instead of completely. Druid is really fun if you can find charm spots and quadding isn't nearly as scary as I had imagined it would be - its actually quite simple and an oddly satisfying type of game play that I had not experienced before.
Last edited by Spyder73; 02-23-2018 at 01:16 PM..
Old 02-23-2018, 01:44 PM
Banned

Druid turned out to be an amazingly fun and powerful class
Old 02-23-2018, 02:00 PM
Kobold

I played a necro on Live from beta til end of PoP and saw it go from massively OP'ed through the twitch b---ch stage. I was in a high end raid guild so never had time to make any alts.

P99 gave me a chance to satisfy my inner altaholic and I leveled 60 cleric, 60 warrior, 60 wizard all on red. My most rewarding experience however has been coming to blue and starting to level an erudite SK. I haven't left Odus yet at level 21 and have thoroughly explored and enjoyed the warrens and have now moved into Stonebrunt. Starting in Warrens at level 4 and dying to roamers near entrance through leveling up and progressing to kill every named mob in the dungeon has been awesome.

I have had a blast exploring a race and class I never played before and new zones I never explored.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Even on the current P99 wiki it says chanters are primarily designed for groups and need them to reach their full potential.
Heck the opposite seems virtually the case: In the great majority of situations having a full group merely hinders a motivated Enchanter. Situations where a full group is necessary are typically situations where the Enchanter can't utilize his entire skillset--the group being necessary usually due to charm being unavailable or impractical for some reason or another.

Historically I always played Paladins and tended to have Shadow Knights as alts. Over the years (with the birth of the daughter in 2012 providing a particular tipping point/fulcrum) that reversed, and the SK is now my home class with the Paladin serving as an alt. Nonetheless, I always liked both. The closest thing I have to a surprise class would have to be Druid, the surprise not being that I particularly like it (I don't, to any great extent) but rather that I can tolerate it at all. I normally loathe casters but that one I merely dislike mildly. The large number of options it has for battle (root-nuke, root-dot, single kite, fear kite, quad, charm, and so forth) makes it a little more interesting than is usual for caster types.

Danth
Old 02-23-2018, 02:02 PM
Fire Giant

Enchanter because it can kill nearly anything with garbage gear, provided you are ok eating a few deaths from time to time

Which isn't really a problem for Enchanter because they can make exp so easily

I use to be a huge monk fanboy, but after playing some caster classes most notably enchanter I can't ever see myself playing a melee again. Don't get me wrong melee have a huge role in eq and raids would not be possible without them, but their gameplay doesn't keep me engaged or strive to do more - I also hate how melee are very gear dependent which due to p99 raid scene can be an insane commitment to gear just one character. Where as for alot of caster classes if you play poorly no amount of gear is going to save you but played properly and well even with average gear can accomplish alot. I feel this is most true for enchanter - reaction time, spell swapping, and game knowledge is far greater armor to an enchanter than gear. Don't get me wrong I love me some pretty pixels but knowing and executing something properly to me is more enjoyable than having having a pass/fail gear check like melee have
Foxlich [60 Necromancer] Foxplosion [60 Wizard]
Foxstab [60 Rogue] /Foxcharming [60 Enchanter] / Foxfrenzy [60 Warrior]
Last edited by Foxplay; 02-23-2018 at 02:23 PM..
Old 02-23-2018, 02:20 PM
Sarnak

I played a paladin on live and raided a lot so I never did any alts. Here I love enchanter the most. Controlling every situation is a great feeling, soloing content that others are no where near soloing, and making a group 10x better than they are without you is a great feeling.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:39 PM
Planar Protector

My first character on live was a mage. I got bored around lvl 20. Then I made a rogue and was forced to group all the time and had a great time. I think the keys to fun in eq for me is being in a group and chasing equipment upgrades (which hardly matter on a caster).
Old 02-23-2018, 04:18 PM
Fire Giant

I agree with everyone who said Enchanter, I didn't realize the versatility and skill ceiling of the class until I played on P99. You can be a really good at any class in the game, but I don't think you would get as much value from your skill as you would from being a really good at Enchanter. In solo/group settings, at least.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:24 PM
Planar Protector

Gotta say Druid. I mean I LOVE my shaman so much I re-created him exactly from live, but I started a Druid as a random alt never expecting to like him (my thinking was mainly "it'd be nice to maybe have a port alt someday). Turns out he was really fun to play and I got him to 44 (my goal level) in no time, especially once I got into animal charming.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Closed Thread