Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-06-2021, 08:20 PM
Sarnak

Unhappy Blue Server - frequently dying zoning out of Siren's Grotto while engaged

A guide told me to post this to the bug forum, but this forum felt more appropriate. Will move it to there if it turns out a lot of people have been experiencing the issue lately.
Anyway-

I've been dying a lot since the server downtime a few weeks back (and six or seven times so far this week already) while zoning out of SG, and obviously this is not something the in-game support staff will assist with, so I'm starting to meet my wit's end and am looking for any help/advice that ya'll can give.

Generally how it occurs is I'll be engaged in a fight with Sirens at the above-ground temple in zone, and something will go wrong (charm break, add on pull), resulting in me needing to WC Cap or Egress out. I'll complete the cap (and yes, they're always charged) or spell usage, the game will freeze, and then I will crash to login. When I log back in, I'll be naked at my bind point, and there will now be a charge-less cap on my corpse (to add insult to injury).

Doesn't really matter what my health is when it occurs. Today I was at full health and completed the Egress well before the two dispelled Sirens were within melee range, but still I died while zoning. So it's starting to feel like not even being ultra precautious is going to keep me safe at this point.

Usually have 70-80ms ping and the game is stored on an NVMe drive (970 Evo+), and these deaths typically occur during lower pop hours with a max of two other people in zone. Running Win10 LTSC, game is in XP compatibility and running as admin, and I play in windowed mode. I do also experience the shitty NVIDIA freeze bug that requires you alt+enter twice to fix as well.

If anyone has dealt with this and knows how to make it go away, I would be deeply indebted to you.

edit- I will add that in all the times that I succeed in zoning out while engaged, I never wind up on the other side with less health than what I had when completing the cap/spell (though obviously if I get out with less HP than my gear has on it, I'll be stripped of buffs). So it's like the server doesn't even acknowledge that I zoned out in these instances where I die.
Last edited by Jomar; 05-06-2021 at 08:27 PM..
Old 06-06-2021, 03:24 AM
Sarnak

died while zoning w/ ~65ms to a single unhasted priestess that was outside of melee range at egress completion and would've taken multiple rounds of melee to kill me after summoning me in post-egress (so ~5+ seconds). had two cap charges eaten (deaths) in last couple days while zoning as well.

dying while zoning only happened twice in first ~3 weeks after last restart/patch, so looks like server needs a full restart every month or so big rogean to keep client/server in sync.
Old 01-23-2023, 01:42 AM
Sarnak

still happening a year+ later-
clean egress w/ mob not even in melee range (would've taken it 6+ seconds to kill me) -> zone in dead at bind point
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

clean cap out in a shitstorm (cursor placement + no death message/pov) -> zone in dead at bind point

o well

edit- fwiw, i'm bound in tim deep
Old 02-09-2023, 04:15 PM
Sarnak

not exclusive to sirens (sirens/chardok just pretty much the only places i always hunted). note that right before this, i had the shitty bug where you turn and your game freezes so you have to alt+enter cycle to unfreeze it (actually unfroze to 0% hp heh)-
Old 02-09-2023, 04:46 PM
Planar Protector

Pretty sure the fundamental issue has been explained before.

There's always lag between you and the server, no matter how good your connection is. If you cap when you think you have 5% HP, you might not actually have 5% HP on the server: you're actually dead on the server, but your client doesn't know it yet. Because your client thinks you're still alive, it lets you use up the cap charge, but then when everything gets synced up you're dead because you died before the click.

All that being said, if this problem is happening more in SG, or more often than it used to, or whatever, that might be a legitimate bug. I'm just saying, capping out and still dying (but using the charge) is a "normal" thing in our ancient computer game, because of how it was designed. The only solution is to cap when you're at 10% HP (or some higher number; I don't know exactly when you're capping).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 02-10-2023, 09:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
hope your problem gets resolved

but uhh... what UI is that, and where can i get it?

it looks like Rustle4k, but it doesn't suck
Old 02-11-2023, 02:56 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
hope your problem gets resolved

but uhh... what UI is that, and where can i get it?

it looks like Rustle4k, but it doesn't suck
it's just rustle 2 with some minor customizations that i crappily did. i edited some spellgems in (you can see they're misaligned tho) and that's all i remember doing. wanted to break the charinfo window off into its own thing so i could hide the group window, but never got around to doing it since hiding the group window behind chat is good enough.

attached the modified files if anyone wants to use them. contains gemicons01, gemicons02, player_window, dzbars (can't remember if the latter two do anything). note that the gemicons01 file was a 7z extension i renamed to zip to fit the attachment limitations, so the extension may need to be renamed to open it if you're just using the built-in windows extractor.
Attached Files
File Type: zip gemicons02.zip (75.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: zip dzbars.zip (32.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: zip player_window.zip (7.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: zip gemicons01.zip (48.8 KB, 0 views)
Last edited by Jomar; 02-11-2023 at 03:01 PM..