Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 11:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think hospitals ask this as part of their regular triage process unless you are acting psychotic...then maybe
It's part of an alcohol withdrawal assessment. Pretty common. Kind of a big deal. Shit can kill you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's a pretty useless question at determining much more than whether the patient is death / blind.
It'd be nice to expect the genpop to understand are you experiencing visual or auditory hallucinations, but those are big words. And it's good to know if someone is experiencing them!
Last edited by Cecily; 11-30-2021 at 11:21 PM..
Old 11-30-2021, 11:32 PM
Banned

so what if hearing and seeing this is normal for u? like i do that a lot
Old 12-01-2021, 01:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's part of an alcohol withdrawal assessment. Pretty common. Kind of a big deal. Shit can kill you.

It'd be nice to expect the genpop to understand are you experiencing visual or auditory hallucinations, but those are big words. And it's good to know if someone is experiencing them!
Hmm, I’m not medical but our etoh withdrawal assessment is usually how much alcohol have you had today, and when was your last drink?

Then if someone is behaving psychotic or not appearing to understand the question, we would ask about hallucinations. A bigger sign of etoh withdrawal in my experience is the shakes, visual trembling, which can be a sign of other things tho as can hallucinations

But ya, I def know about the risks of etoh withdrawal. Brought dozens of people to etoh detox. Detox is unpleasant in my state, you aren’t given an IV with fluids which is what would really help, instead they are just laid down on a hard flat cot with plastic sheets since so many people piss themselves. From there you’re monitored by burnt out staff. They will only do medical procedures in emergencies

It’s part of the reason my success rate when asking alcoholics if they want to go to detox is less than 10% if they’ve already been there before :/
Last edited by unsunghero; 12-01-2021 at 01:49 AM..
Old 12-01-2021, 01:40 AM
Banned

It’s still the correct phrasing, but the problem with asking about “hearing voices” or just psychosis in general is the person’s psychosis is telling their brain an explanation for the event that they might not interpret as “hearing voices”, even though it is

For example, a year-ish ago I was requested by police to speak to a young early 20’a paranoid white guy, who was seen wandering/loitering outside the police station and eventually went in and asked them for help

When I asked what was going on, he described needing to get to a hospital to have the device implanted in his brain by Russian mafia removed. He then described that the Mexican cartel were using the device to track him. I validated that it sounds he like you are describing feeling like people are following you, are you hearing voices that other people don’t? He said no. Then about 15 minutes later into the conversation he got despondent and was saying how the Mexican mafia are mocking him, saying they are going to kill him. I asked if people he sees are saying this and he said no, the Mexican cartel is saying it through the device implanted in his brain

I think the problem is that “hearing voices” has become so common and known, that people associate it with being “crazy”. And the problem with psychosis is that it is telling the person that these events are real, and providing an explanation for them. So they see it differently than “hearing voices”, and will still deny it even after describing hearing a voice

But like I said, it’s still the correct and best way to phrase it. “Hearing things others don’t” is a little more open ended, I tend to use them interchangeably
Last edited by unsunghero; 12-01-2021 at 01:48 AM..
Old 12-01-2021, 01:45 AM
Fire Giant

Yeah I'm hearing jingle bells and I see Santa Claus.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:10 AM
Banned

You have to add “things other’s don’t”, especially when talking to kids, unless you want a sarcastic “I’m hearing you talking right now” answer like that [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] smart-assy kids

The other problem with hearing voices is that it’s almost always going to be something negative, commanding, hurtful, or combinations of these. I don’t understand why it’s never “hey man, you’re great! You’re gonna have a good day”. And your intelligence and your vocabulary work against you, the smarter you are, the more expressive and creative the voice is going to be

Edit: one weird little known fact about schizophrenia is that no person born blind has ever been diagnosed with it to my knowledge. It’s one of the upsides to being born blind, you are immune to schizophrenia and I don’t think we know why
Last edited by unsunghero; 12-01-2021 at 02:13 AM..
Old 12-01-2021, 02:38 AM
Banned

i'm a fraid these ppl in guk are going to TRAIN and kill me and i should just gate to bind and log [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-01-2021, 02:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i'm a fraid these ppl in guk are going to TRAIN and kill me and i should just gate to bind and log [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

next time say that to your shrink with a blank stare
Closed Thread