Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 08-18-2022, 06:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by magephyre1 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You are a goddamned middle-aged person. You talking like this is a fucking sickness. You are mentally ill and instead of doing something to help it you're funneling your entire being into maintaining it.
This
Old 08-19-2022, 12:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScruffMacBuff [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's crystal clear, but it's also just your opinion.

YOU think the true fun of the game is within the competition.

YOU think the true of of the game is countering other guilds tactics.

What YOU fail to realize is that people are allowed to have different opinions, and that you have to share this server with a whole bunch of em.

So if we have to share, why is it so fucking hard to even consider meeting in the middle?

Why is it so hard to realize the irony of your argument? That irony being the complaining from you and detoxx about us trying to force you into a playstyle you don't like, when you're the ones holding up progress by being the 1/7 against it. Literally forcing your play style on others like the absolute hypocrites you always have been.

And yes I realize you ain't VQ anymore, but you're apparently so principled you can't change your mind.
Everyone is allowed their opinion. However, I don't share my opinions to the rest of the server, then force them to conform by decree . That is blatant totalitarianism. I present my opinion, state my reasoning's behind my position, then interact with others /gasp to have a healthy discourse. This concept constitutes a healthy society.

In this particular scenario, 6/7 guilds are pushing for a 50% increase in Draft weeks: from quarterly to every 8 weeks.. No insignificant increase or minor request despite the numbers appearing so going from "4" to "6". What you should have said is "7/7 guilds' Leadership agree" as most members on this server had no clue. We'll unpack that further in a moment.

With the increase in Quakes, many targets have opened up for all of those interested and willing to make it happen. We've never before had x5 guilds in ToV at the same time on Blue and all competing for targets. In essence, the server is already receiving the goal of the draft "to experience new content". You just have to play the game and experience it.

I, and those whom agree with me, are not "forcing" our playstyle upon the rest of server. This is the natural evolution of what would have been if the classic era was time-locked. Yes, cooperation is a necessity. I believe competition is too and the proof is in the pudding here on P99 Blue.

What you guys have been pushing for is what killed Everquest Live, I experienced it first hand. There were many factors, but that artificial limiting of interaction between people/guilds is the main culprit. In my opinion, this interaction is the premiere magical component of any MMO - The human spirit. Possibilities become endless and inconceivable until forced to conceptualize it based upon necessity, whether that is cooperative and/or competitive. No one should ever limit interaction in an MMO and for the life of me, I don't understand why you can't see this or respect this golden rule. This is a hill I'm willing to die on.

Addressing the ridiculously hasty attempt to shove this through to the server:

Leadership from all of Guilds participating in the Draft attempted to steamroll this through in a few short weeks without giving people the opportunity contemplate it, come to a determination, let alone voice their conclusions to their leaders. That's super shady. I imagine most guild members weren't even aware of this unless they happened to stumble into the UN discord to see it occurring. I had to ask Vanquish what was going on since no one really had any idea. I spoke to friends across multiple guilds and asked them if they were aware and they replied that they had no clue. Then, you throw up your hands because you don't get your way, right away, and demand that Menden make a ruling because "September is right around the corner and we were hoping..."

Yes, we are all aware of how quickly you attempted to force more rotations/instancing upon the rest of the server without Members' knowledge and input. Shame on you. So much for "The Community!" There's your irony.
Old 08-19-2022, 12:52 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantagarBrax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Everyone is allowed their opinion. However, I don't share my opinions to the rest of the server, then force them to conform by decree . That is blatant totalitarianism. I present my opinion, state my reasoning's behind my position, then interact with others /gasp to have a healthy discourse. This concept constitutes a healthy society.

In this particular scenario, 6/7 guilds are pushing for a 50% increase in Draft weeks: from quarterly to every 8 weeks.. No insignificant increase or minor request despite the numbers appearing so going from "4" to "6". What you should have said is "7/7 guilds' Leadership agree" as most members on this server had no clue. We'll unpack that further in a moment.

With the increase in Quakes, many targets have opened up for all of those interested and willing to make it happen. We've never before had x5 guilds in ToV at the same time on Blue and all competing for targets. In essence, the server is already receiving the goal of the draft "to experience new content". You just have to play the game and experience it.

I, and those whom agree with me, are not "forcing" our playstyle upon the rest of server. This is the natural evolution of what would have been if the classic era was time-locked. Yes, cooperation is a necessity. I believe competition is too and the proof is in the pudding here on P99 Blue.

What you guys have been pushing for is what killed Everquest Live, I experienced it first hand. There were many factors, but that artificial limiting of interaction between people/guilds is the main culprit. In my opinion, this interaction is the premiere magical component of any MMO - The human spirit. Possibilities become endless and inconceivable until forced to conceptualize it based upon necessity, whether that is cooperative and/or competitive. No one should ever limit interaction in an MMO and for the life of me, I don't understand why you can't see this or respect this golden rule. This is a hill I'm willing to die on.

Leadership from all of Guilds participating in the Draft attempted to steamroll this through in a few short weeks without giving people the opportunity contemplate it, come to a determination, let alone voice their conclusions to their leaders. That's super shady. I imagine most guild members weren't even aware of this unless they happened to stumble into the UN discord to see it occurring. I had to ask Vanquish what was going on since no one really had any idea. I spoke to friends across multiple guilds and asked them if they were aware and they replied that they had no clue. Then, you throw up your hands because you don't get your way, right away, and demand that Menden make a ruling because "September is right around the corner and we were hoping..."

Yes, we are all aware of how quickly you attempted to force more rotations/instancing upon the rest of the server without Members' knowledge and input. Shame on you. So much for "The Community!" There's your irony.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-19-2022, 04:27 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantagarBrax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

What you guys have been pushing for is what killed Everquest Live, I experienced it first hand. There were many factors, but that artificial limiting of interaction between people/guilds is the main culprit. In my opinion, this interaction is the premiere magical component of any MMO - The human spirit.
EQ live is still alive, p99 is more niche. Uninstanced content only works if the content outnumbers the players, which was true for the first ~10 years of p99 when the majority of the playerbase was still levelling mains and alts. After that it only works if you do something to meter the content, which p99 did with earthquakes and bag limits.

If there was no content metering whatsoever, aside from double FTE, I'm not sure what even the point of having raid rules would be. Since the sweatiest players would just get the vast majority of every mob, which is exactly what would happen without raid rules and DPS XP deciding the winner.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:49 AM
Skeleton

Quote:

In this particular scenario, 6/7 guilds are pushing for a 50% increase in Draft weeks: from quarterly to every 8 weeks.. No insignificant increase or minor request despite the numbers appearing so going from "4" to "6".
if "4" to "6" sounds insignificant, imagine how going from "48" natural spawns to "46" comes across.

7/7 guild leaders agree that they don't want you raiding with them at least.
Old 08-19-2022, 12:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
The entire design of the game is competition based. If you have a problem with that, take it up with Brad, Steve, and Bill..along with all of the other dev's from said era.
Didn't read the rest of this trashfire thread but just wanted to point out that lack of sufficient tech/knowledge/foresight at the time of EQ's development to launch with instances does NOT equal intention to create a competitive (lol) pve mmo. EQ was mostly first of its kind. A lot of shit happened just by accident and they had no way to predict how popular it would become and what measures people would go to just to monopolize dragon pixels. I've seen this retarded argument used by the pro EQ neckbeardery crowd several times and it has absolutely no basis in reality. EQ devs (including Brad and several others from the original team) were still working on EQ when instances were first added. They would have added them sooner if the tech at the time could support it. It wasn't intentionally left out cause they thought poopsocking was a cool gameplay feature. You have to be braindead to believe that.
Old 08-19-2022, 12:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapeape [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

7/7 guild leaders agree that they don't want you raiding with them at least.
Old 08-19-2022, 02:20 PM
Sarnak

Quote:

god you're insufferable. you and furoar deserve each other.
Old 08-19-2022, 02:54 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlsNoBan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Didn't read the rest of this trashfire thread but just wanted to point out that lack of sufficient tech/knowledge/foresight at the time of EQ's development to launch with instances does NOT equal intention to create a competitive (lol) pve mmo. EQ was mostly first of its kind. A lot of shit happened just by accident and they had no way to predict how popular it would become and what measures people would go to just to monopolize dragon pixels. I've seen this retarded argument used by the pro EQ neckbeardery crowd several times and it has absolutely no basis in reality. EQ devs (including Brad and several others from the original team) were still working on EQ when instances were first added. They would have added them sooner if the tech at the time could support it. It wasn't intentionally left out cause they thought poopsocking was a cool gameplay feature. You have to be braindead to believe that.
The original EQ devs put variance into the game (not on day 1 launch, but later) to combat socking. It's not enough deterrance for a time-locked server like P99.

That being said, GMs also didn't create and police rotations on live either. It was something more akin to rolltation on most servers. You did have to show up with a force, pixels weren't just handed out to guilds for existing.
Old 08-19-2022, 03:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlsNoBan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
just wanted to point out that lack of sufficient tech/knowledge/foresight at the time of EQ's development to launch with instances does NOT equal intention to create a competitive (lol) pve mmo. EQ was mostly first of its kind. A lot of shit happened just by accident and they had no way to predict how popular it would become and what measures people would go to just to monopolize dragon pixels. EQ devs (including Brad and several others from the original team) were still working on EQ when instances were first added. They would have added them sooner if the tech at the time could support it.
Instances weren't added until LDoN, the original designers were absolutely not working on the game at that time. Brad was working on Vanguard, which did not have instances. It only had sharding for a single dungeon in the game. EQ did intend to have some form of competition, hence why the "whoever does the most damage gets the exp/loot" was in the game. They could have simply had it as whichever group hits a MOB first automatically gets the reward, it's not like they didn't know about it, Everquest was based on MUD's, which had already tried all kinds of things regarding this issue.