Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 05:09 PM
Sarnak

So had a bit of time to kill. About an hour ago a shinny new barb shaman came into being. Hand in my note to get the guild tunic then off to EF.

Con a mob, yellow. Next one, yellow. Next one yellow....rinse and repeat.

I tried to take one on since that's all that was available....yep, LOADING......

Next a friendly druid hit me with skin like rock, sow and strength of earth. Decided to try another yellow con. Luckily I made it back to the guards. Just as SoE an SLR were wearing off an even con showed up. Kill it, loot the rusty mace and head back to town.

Finally with burst of flame in my arsenal here's hoping things turn around. Well, nope. I've spent more time training mobs back to the guards than I have actually fighting. Now an hour after character creation I've managed to find and kill three even con's plus nearly 50 yellow con's have been taken out by the guards.

No other newbie zone has this ratio of yellow to even/blue con's. Only Steamfont has this ratio of aggressive to passive mobs but even there the aggressive mobs can be easily avoided. I'll give it a bit more time and effort but something seems off here.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So had a bit of time to kill. About an hour ago a shinny new barb shaman came into being. Hand in my note to get the guild tunic then off to EF.

Con a mob, yellow. Next one, yellow. Next one yellow....rinse and repeat.

I tried to take one on since that's all that was available....yep, LOADING......

Next a friendly druid hit me with skin like rock, sow and strength of earth. Decided to try another yellow con. Luckily I made it back to the guards. Just as SoE an SLR were wearing off an even con showed up. Kill it, loot the rusty mace and head back to town.

Finally with burst of flame in my arsenal here's hoping things turn around. Well, nope. I've spent more time training mobs back to the guards than I have actually fighting. Now an hour after character creation I've managed to find and kill three even con's plus nearly 50 yellow con's have been taken out by the guards.

No other newbie zone has this ratio of yellow to even/blue con's. Only Steamfont has this ratio of aggressive to passive mobs but even there the aggressive mobs can be easily avoided. I'll give it a bit more time and effort but something seems off here.
Are you fighting in that area directly in front of the Halas canyon? Like any newbie area I remember it having a mix of level 1-3 mobs, but certainly there should be some 1s in there. If not that almost sounds like a bug.

Also it's been awhile, but I'd think a level one, with the newbie weapon and burst of fire, starting at full health/mana, should be able to take a level 2 warrior mob (at least most of the time) ... no?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 06-11-2020 at 05:21 PM..
Old 06-12-2020, 01:03 AM
Sarnak

Yep, right in front of where the two guards are.

Anyway, a very kind druid ran past me.....level 50 druid buffs put me into god mode. One burst of flame and the mobs died to the DS. It takes very few yellow con mobs to ding level 2. Short time later level 3. I'm now level 4 and hunting goblins in a little out of the way culdesac while doing laundry.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yep, right in front of where the two guards are.

Anyway, a very kind druid ran past me.....level 50 druid buffs put me into god mode. One burst of flame and the mobs died to the DS. It takes very few yellow con mobs to ding level 2. Short time later level 3. I'm now level 4 and hunting goblins in a little out of the way culdesac while doing laundry.
Awesome [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I swear though, many Barbarians (myself included) have made it from level 1 to level 2 without level 50 Druid buffs! It is possible ... I think maybe you just got some bad luck with the RNG or something.

Or again, it could be a bug (maybe when they altered the spawn rates for Green they broke something?) If other starting Barbarians observe something similar someone should file a bug.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:40 PM
Planar Protector

Here is a list of Shaman races, best to worst. This assumes you want to Min/Max, you have no serious problems with a race's character model, and your goal is to reach level 60, gain Torpor, and gain your epic.

1. Ogre
Benefits: Slam, Frontal Stun immunity, can use Jaundiced Bone Bracer.
Explanation: At level 60 with Torpor, an extra 8 standing HP regen from Trolls/Iksars is not very effective. The reason is simple. Torpor gives you 300 HP regen per tick. An additional 8 HP is not a large percentage of 300. I am not saying extra HP regen isn't useful (it still is), but it will not be the huge advantage it is pre-Torpor. You can easily see proof of this, if you do not believe my word alone. It is fairly rare to see level 60 Torpor Shamans with a Fungus Covered Scale Tunic plastered to their chest. It can still be useful, in certain situations, but most Shamans go for a Chestplate of Vindication instead. If 13 HP regen is worth losing due to Torpor, 8 HP regen is worth losing as well. Frontal Stun Immunity cannot be obtained via gear, and it allows you to land Torpors and slows more often. A bad string of Torpor/Slow interrupts can spell big trouble when you are fighting a tough monster.

2. Troll
Benefits: Slam, Regeneration, can use Jaundiced Bone Bracer, can use Regent Symbol of Innoruuk for snares (Shamans do not have any snare spells).
Explanation: Extra regeneration is still a great racial ability, even with Torpor. Trolls can still use Jaundiced Bone Bracer, and they also get Regent Symbol of Innoruuk, which allows them to snare targets that are running away. The necklace isn't amazing, however. It only lasts 6 ticks, and the snare is so bad the monster needs to be at 10% health to stop running, instead of the usual 20.

3. Barbarian
Benefits: Slam, Can use Jaundiced Bone Bracer, can use Barbarian Spiritist's Hammer, has the best XP bonus when leveling to 60.
Explanation: I personally put Barbarians over Iksar's in this case. JBB is more useful than 8 HP regen at 60 with Torpor, in my opinion. Shaman spells cost a LOT of mana, and having a free nuke is a great way to save mana in certain situations. The 8 HP regen isn't going to save you more mana than a JBB. 8 HP regen per hour means 4800 HP per hour, or 2400 canni'd mana per hour. This means you only get 16 casts of your DD per hour for free. I have certainly used JBB more than 16 times per hour, even at 60. You also need to waste a spell slot, which is premium on Shamans. A Torpor shaman will always have Canni 4 and Torpor on Bar. They will also almost always have Malo and Slow on bar. This means you only have 4 spell slots to spare. If you want to have gate up for an emergency, that number goes down to 3. Saving spell slots is a huge deal.

4. Iksar
Explanation: Regeneration, Racial AC bonus, Forage
Reason: Forage is a useful skill if you are planning on doing a lot of crafting. There are quite a few items in the game that are forage only, and needed for tradeskills. This means Iksars will have an easier time doing Shawl 7 quest, and leveling up tailoring to master levels. Iksars do get an innate AC bonus, but the mitigation you gain is not worth losing a spell slot on a DD. There are no other tangible benefits to being an Iksar, other than fashion quest. If you want regeneration, Trolls have way more benefits.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 06-12-2020 at 12:49 PM..
Old 06-12-2020, 02:18 PM
Sarnak

I took all of the advice you guys offered. I also looked at all the links.

I decided to roll an ogre shamman. I've never played an ogre so newb'ing it in Feerott is new to me too.

thanks guys!
Closed Thread