Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 05:03 PM
Banned

Humans get nothing over Iksar. Aside from the inconsequential faster leveling Iksar are superior in every way.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:10 PM
Fire Giant

As jim jam said, pre epic, human fists are slightly better.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:28 PM
Sarnak

Play to min/max fashion and you'll never have issues with your racial choice. Humans are objectively better fashion than iksar.
P99: [52 Champion] Alysane (Barbarian) <Auld Lang Syne>
SZ : [65 Lord Protector] Cochise (Erudite) <Sanctus Lumen>
Old 07-01-2020, 11:30 PM
Planar Protector

Regrets.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:21 AM
Planar Protector

• Human Monks can make Antonian Javelins which are significantly better than regular forged javelins.
  • Human Monks have a -20% XP penalty, while Iksar Monks have a -44% XP penalty. The Human Monk will level significantly faster, and no, the Iksar regen is NOT enough to offset the penalty. Anyone telling you otherwise can't do math.
  • If you're actually going to main a Monk, you will spend the majority of your playtime in guild and group activities pulling and/or DPSing, not tanking. Iksar racials are not substantial benefits for those activities. A little extra AC and regen isn't going to make a difference when you're fully raid/group buffed and probably wearing a Fungi and have Regrowth on.
  • Human combat animations are much better than Iksar.
  • Human Monks have some of the best Fashionquest options in the game, from Classic all the way through Velious.
  • If you're on Green and want to be a raiding Monk in Kunark/Velious, you will want to be a Human. Unless you have an entire guild willing to PL and gear you, there is no way that an Iksar Monk will be competitive with an already Classic geared level 50 Human Monk when Kunark launches. And remember Green's Kunark timeline is VERY short compared to Blue.
  • Equally geared at 60, an Iksar Monk is statistically superior to the Human Monk in every way. This is inarguable. But from a practical standpoint the benefits are not that great when you look at what level 60 Monks spend most of their time doing. Your personal satisfaction with the appearance of your character is much, much more important than minor statistical perks that won't provide a noticeable benefit for the vast majority of your playtime.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:16 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
  • Human Monks can make Antonian Javelins which are significantly better than regular forged javelins.
  • Human Monks have a -20% XP penalty, while Iksar Monks have a -44% XP penalty. The Human Monk will level significantly faster, and no, the Iksar regen is NOT enough to offset the penalty. Anyone telling you otherwise can't do math.
  • If you're actually going to main a Monk, you will spend the majority of your playtime in guild and group activities pulling and/or DPSing, not tanking. Iksar racials are not substantial benefits for those activities. A little extra AC and regen isn't going to make a difference when you're fully raid/group buffed and probably wearing a Fungi and have Regrowth on.
  • Human combat animations are much better than Iksar.
  • Human Monks have some of the best Fashionquest options in the game, from Classic all the way through Velious.
  • If you're on Green and want to be a raiding Monk in Kunark/Velious, you will want to be a Human. Unless you have an entire guild willing to PL and gear you, there is no way that an Iksar Monk will be competitive with an already Classic geared level 50 Human Monk when Kunark launches. And remember Green's Kunark timeline is VERY short compared to Blue.
  • Equally geared at 60, an Iksar Monk is statistically superior to the Human Monk in every way. This is inarguable. But from a practical standpoint the benefits are not that great when you look at what level 60 Monks spend most of their time doing. Your personal satisfaction with the appearance of your character is much, much more important than minor statistical perks that won't provide a noticeable benefit for the vast majority of your playtime.
That pretty much is a accurate rundown of determining what race is "best" of the two, well put imo. Personally I think being happy with how you look is very important considering you are gonna be the one staring at your character for hours/days/weeks/months/years on end. Unless there is a huge advantage for a particular race/class combo I have always chosen my race by considering how I want to look, play etc. I had the option to go for a Iksar monk on p99 this last year and despite being told by everyone to go iksar, I picked a human since I did not have one yet and I was gonna be the one to live with my choice. I have no regrets now that I am lvl 60, I can do anything a Iksar can do at this point but I also do it rocking a sweet eyepatch! lol
[56 Preserver] Petrified Wood (Wood Elf) <The Second Sons>
[60 Warlock] Deathand Darwinism (Iksar) <The Second Sons>
Old 07-02-2020, 01:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrified Wood [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That pretty much is a accurate rundown of determining what race is "best" of the two, well put imo. Personally I think being happy with how you look is very important considering you are gonna be the one staring at your character for hours/days/weeks/months/years on end. Unless there is a huge advantage for a particular race/class combo I have always chosen my race by considering how I want to look, play etc. I had the option to go for a Iksar monk on p99 this last year and despite being told by everyone to go iksar, I picked a human since I did not have one yet and I was gonna be the one to live with my choice. I have no regrets now that I am lvl 60, I can do anything a Iksar can do at this point but I also do it rocking a sweet eyepatch! lol
I wish more people made that choice with other classes. I see way too many people rocking Ogre for Shadow Knights even though Troll and Dark Elf fit the "evil bastard" role a lot better, IMO. I mean sure, some probably like the look of an Ogre, but...eh, I dunno, I don't see why. Troll has much meaner looking facial expressions, IMO.

FSI really isn't that great compared to every other racial. That shouldn't be reason alone to pick Ogre with no questions asked.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:46 AM
Planar Protector

Teases the mind thinking about what other racials would have been included, if every race had been given at least one.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:05 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Teases the mind thinking about what other racials would have been included, if every race had been given at least one.
Dwarves should have been given Slam, IMO. Giant meaty fists and big broad shoulders. Would've been really nice for Dwarf Paladins.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:24 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dwarves should have been given Slam, IMO. Giant meaty fists and big broad shoulders. Would've been really nice for Dwarf Paladins.
Agreed. And while most races do have an assortment of small benefits such as hide, slam, and forage, more unique perks would have pushed race closer towards being as definitive as class. That might have been a bit much though, having racials that rivaled the usefulness of FSI/wall vision and the cool factor of barrel roll.
Closed Thread