Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 03:27 PM
Aviak

Juntsie emerge from long slumber and review da record. Herein document post by BWE prove dat chanta charm NOT CLASSIC.

Juntsie hereby move for da remedial CLASSIC ACTION.
Licensed Troll Professional (J.D., M.D., Th.D., R.D., R.C.C., Ph.D., C.P.A., L.S.L.P)
Known Associates: Oakenhops Valebrewer (51 Druid <Dial a Port>); Korezril (50 Monk <Ancient Blood>) ; Xeirella L'Veldriss (52 Necro)

Professional troll services fer gud rates, including da raid dispute resolution. Dis message confidential and not intended for tax purpose. Protect swamp. Tink green before print.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:27 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's really not, because If it was it being broken wouldn't be as large an issue.

Everyone is abusing it now.
Are you saying it must be easy because so many people are crying about it on the forum?
Old 11-16-2019, 03:41 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is a huge find
It even indirectly supports the idea that enchanter charm is OP on p99. If nobody here even remembers not using invis breaks in classic they weren't charm XPing, probably because charm sucked? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-16-2019, 03:43 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycoolrausch [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It even indirectly supports the idea that enchanter charm is OP on p99. If nobody here even remembers not using invis breaks in classic they weren't charm XPing, probably because charm sucked? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No it doesn't, you'd just spend a little more mana to break with dispel instead of invis
Old 11-16-2019, 03:44 PM
Kobold

I literally started charming sirens in oot at 16 on live 3 weeks into kunark. Then aviaks in SK and at Arena entrance in lake rathe. I was soloing with charm on an enchanter in 2000...
Old 11-16-2019, 03:46 PM
Kobold

Quote:
I never really cared about how OP they were until that green naggy kill, that SINGLE imp protector who didnt break once the entire engage and did half the raid dps triggered the fuck out of me lol
With tash, malo, junk buffs and a whole group to coordinate charm on discord. No one coordinated in that way back in the day. In that sense, yes it's not classic.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:58 PM
Sarnak

It also mentions changing Charm rules in The Hole to Kunark-era. What does that mean?
Old 11-16-2019, 04:02 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Eye witness evidence counts as evidence in criminal trials - so here's some more.

I played an enchanter in Classic - Kunark & used charm extensively but mostly as a backup spell. It was fantastic in Unrest in the 20s as a CC spell to deal with mez breaks. Mez breaks were very common back then as few players knew how to assist...

(Lv12 Charm had a 2.0s cast time...later versions are slower, so harder to get off when you're getting pounded & of course mobs hit harder even with stuns).

I recall Inviz *did* break Charm (just as it causes permanent pets to suicide).

Charm was also useful situationally when close to a zone line [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

We didn't know tricks like tashing the charm pet [though I tashed all mobs after mez] or giving the charm pet -MR items [assuming that even works on p1999 as it does on Live now].

I think the biggest difference is that today the ENTIRE TEAM works to support the charm strategy. Mages & Shamans are ready to malo. Tanks/rangers are ready to taunt (only). Necros will toss in a Screaming Terror...healers will heal you. You will actually be HP buffed.

All changes from "back in the day" where teamwork was much less effective.

Back then, I never received hp buffs from clerics (or thought to ask for them) until high levels and when I later switched mains to cleric, I recall watching an enchanter die in PoN as he was extensively using charm and I had no idea why he was being so reckless...

(I did feel sorry for him after rezzing him back in and even blew a pearl on a DI spell)
Old 11-16-2019, 04:04 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kul69 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
this thread has revealed magic resist rate is off
There was one 1999 post of an enchanter complaining that Chaotic Feedback resists a lot, which is a stun resist check, not magic resist. That doesn't "reveal that magic resist rate is off"
Old 11-16-2019, 04:08 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kul69 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just a reminder that this thread is past the point of proving if this is "classic." Enchanters need a nerf just for being OP same as Necro and other classes that have been nerfed.
What was the nerf to necro?
Closed Thread