Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 04:03 AM
Aviak

Can anyone chime in on how rangers fair in non-raid situations? I'm a bit of a casual player and I'm looking to play melee DPS for the first time (played druid/cleric/necro/enchanter a ton before). I likely won't make it to the top tier end game, but I'd love to know how they are from 1-55. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-01-2018, 04:59 AM
Planar Protector

Very fun. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone complain about making a ranger. Moderate to moderately high DPS, extremely good outdoor pulling ability, sow, premium snap agro (well geared rangers are my favorite tanks 1-50), track is fun, solo ability, and a bit of CC ability.

You can add a lot to a group or do your own thing. Good first melee for you and imo perfect for your needs. Leveling my ranger was some of the most fun I had in EQ.
Last edited by Cecily; 11-01-2018 at 05:02 AM..
Old 11-01-2018, 06:05 AM
Planar Protector

Rangers are fun to play because of the versatility, so long as you are okay with being a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none. Because of this, the min-max culture will shun you for groups so be prepared to form and lead your own. Demonstrate your worth by switching roles fluidly as needed.

Harmony pull singles to the group in outdoor dungeons? No problem. Accidentally aggro an extra? Rootpark it in place before it gets back to your group. Gotta main tank the shit that you pull? No problem (although healers will slit their wrists) in most cases if you're geared/buffed. Gotta yank a respawn off a caster? One flame lick will do (or snare of you have an enchanter or bard trying to mez.) Gotta top off hp on some casters while the healer is focus on the tank? Sure. Anyone need a crapload of summoned arrows? F yeah! LOOK GUYS, I JUST FORAGED YOU SOME GRAPES!

Does a warrior/cleric/enchanter trio need you to do any of that? Probably not.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Last edited by YendorLootmonkey; 11-01-2018 at 06:07 AM..
Old 11-01-2018, 08:47 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripqozko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't have bis, that's baton and claw, I just have kriezens. I'm only moderately geared when it comes to tov gear
Once you crack into velious raid weaponry, you have to consider monk specific weapons. Having those class specific weapons with superior class specific ratios is why, relative to the content being compared, monks maintain superior damage output compared to other non-rogue melee.

My paladin has 34% haste and a velious 2hander. I frequently out dps melee I group with at 47 and hang pretty close to a decently geared rogue I duo with. This doesn’t mean paladins are great dps (lol, they are not) ... it just means my gear is better. My friend is about to finish his rogue epic. When he does, he will leave me in the dust (as he should). Comparably geared and hasted melee beat me hands down by a wide margin every time (as they should)

NToV weapon ratios are shockingly similar with some exceptions. If a monk and ranger have similar ratios equipped, their damage will be a lot more closer. If the monk has his or her velious monk weapons ... well they’re just flat out better in melee dps. The ranger only hopes close the gap by using other abilities. In the case of some of those abilities (spells) the ability to do so is pretty weak. For other abilities like a trueshot burn? Well that’s a potent ability. Under disc it should come as no surprise that rangers can land high on the charts. That ability has a long cooldown.

Rangers? Great class. Super fun. Solid dps ... but not top notch sustained compared with others. What they lack in raw sustained dps they more than make up for with their broad tool kit and spell book.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 11-01-2018, 09:38 AM
Planar Protector

People always assume if you have a less than “ideal” class you won’t get picked up for a group. That’s utter BS. Often it’s just hard enough to find people in the right level range for the slots needed.

I was tanking spore king with a 57 pal the other day, something I thought was impossible (torpor is amazing). I was eventually scampering to find a replacement and would have taken ANYONE 57+. Likewise we had dps rotating in and out over the 5 hours. We needed a monk to pull (in this scenario) but the rogue could have been swapped with a ranger. Kills would have been a bit slower but the damage champ of the group was a hasted charmed frog from the jail.

By biggest annoyance is that almost every damn mob ran and I had to root them (or try) to keep from wiping. We had to camp twice to clear aggro because a nearly-dead shroom walked through the wall in the teleport room we were fighting in. Yea...I’d trade a kidney for snare in that group. Had to split tank two reavers more than once. Flame Lick isn’t a straight trade for monk mitigation but mana was never the problem.

It’s a long grind of a game. Play what you want. If you are a hardcore raider do what the guild needs the most if you want to be altruistic. If you consistently can’t kill the raid targets it’s likley not 100% because Steve won’t stop playing his ranger.
Last edited by Snaggles; 11-01-2018 at 09:40 AM..
Old 11-01-2018, 09:48 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by damstraight4 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can anyone chime in on how rangers fair in non-raid situations? I'm a bit of a casual player and I'm looking to play melee DPS for the first time (played druid/cleric/necro/enchanter a ton before). I likely won't make it to the top tier end game, but I'd love to know how they are from 1-55. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
If you're not looking at end-game, min-maxxing then Rangers are SUPER fun to play through the leveling experience with. The only part I didn't really care for was 56-60, mostly because PUGs are mostly limited to Sebilis which is an indoor zone and your good soloing options dry up. But you don't seem that concerned with that level range anyway [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

You can pull like a gawdamn demon monkey in outdoor zones thanks to Harmony (way better than Monk pulls IMO), tank in the right situations or in a pinch, DPS is perfectly respectable, great snap aggro + roots for CC, etc. Just lots of value in a single package. In a performing group trying to push yourselves, you'll never be bored.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:58 AM
Planar Protector

Rogue>Ranger≥Monk
Old 11-06-2018, 03:36 PM
Banned

You'll have fun until Karnor's greens out.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:42 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs86z [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You'll have fun until Karnor's greens out.
If you're in hands or basement, it doesn't. Blue to 60, baby!
Closed Thread