Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 11:30 AM
Large Rat

Default Hello from a total newb

First time EQ player, just started my Halfling Druid over the weekend and managed to ding 11.

I’d like to thank the community for all of the help so far. Everyone has been really nice and I can’t wait to pay it forward when I level up and get stronger. When I first logged in I was completely lost running around Rivervale when I higher level player handed me some plat and a nice +3 wisdom club. With the plat I was able to buy my spells and get a set of leather armor from the merchant (seems like a good idea since it sells back for almost the same amount that it costs). I’d also like to give a shout out to all of the druids in Misty Thicket giving out free buffs over the weekend. I’ve been having a blast playing so far. It’s been really rewarding learning my way around. It felt great when I was able to get to the spell merchant without getting lost.

I’m trying to decide if I should stay in mistythicket until 14 like I had originally planned or if I should head somewhere else. I had figured it would be a good idea to stay in the area until then since I’d then have some pretty key spells like spirit of the wolf and bind affinity. The only thing is that the xp seems to be slowing down a bit as the goblin camps have started to green out on me. There are spiders and other side beasts to kill, but they don’t seem to drop the most money.

I was thinking about trying to head over to Karana to kill bandits and turn in their belts for xp and cash. I would stay there until 14, gate back to pick up my spells, and go find a new zone to level in (oasis crocs maybe with charm animal?). I’m just worried about dying and losing my corpse/getting lost since this is all new to me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.s. Would killing the bandits mess with my faction in high pass hold? I’d like to start trying to get the testament of Vanear at 19. From what I’ve read the bandits there don’t start off as kos. Will killing he bandits in Karana effect that?

Thanks again
Old 11-15-2018, 04:35 AM
Sarnak

After Misty, I moved through Runneyeye(RE) to the Gorge of King Xorbb. Hunted the gobs by the RE zoneline, then started pulling Muddites when I felt I could handle them. (if things go bad, just zone back to RE, then back to Gorge. Sometimes gobs inside RE will jump you at that zoneline so be careful)

Careful, Muddites blind you, so know where your spell gems are on your screen (protip->postits)

After this, I went to Lake Rathe, and found a couple of Bandit camps that were very quiet. Harmony, and Tank-n-spank worked well here. There is an ogre merchant near one of the camps to sell off the weapons to. Filled up all my backpacks with sashes and ran to Qeynos to turn in.

The Testament quest, I had a higher lev character kill the guy in HighPass, but I think there are a few spots you can stand in with no agro from the local bandit NPCs. I can't really comment on the faction from bandit killing here, I didn't check while i was there sorry.

Anyhoo, welcome to 1999....
Old 11-15-2018, 05:23 AM
Fire Giant

You have to decide if you want to basically solo (then karana's is a great place) or group. From 12 to 20 i think oasis is one of the best places to find casual groups. It's pretty nice for druids even solo because you can easily charm animals there.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:37 AM
Kobold

Bandits would be great for you. You can also do sisters in Lfay. I am not sure how contested these camps are though. Another cash camp you can do 20-24 is gargolye island in Ocean of Tears. At 24 (I think), you can root rot giants in warslik woods and get their +wis earring that sells for 300pp.

I wouldn't spend all your time farming plat. At 15, I would recommend getting a level or two with a group. Head to Oasis of Marr or Unrest. At 20 you can do unrest or mistmoore, and then at 25 you can do mistmoore or high hold keep. You'll meet some friends and be happy how fast the xp moves. Druids aren't too difficult, but it is important to learn how to manage mana w/ buffs and heals in a group.

Once you get your first group port spells join Dial a Port (if you aren't in a guild already), you will be pleasantly surprised at how fast the money comes.
Last edited by mumpz; 11-15-2018 at 10:50 AM..
Closed Thread