Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 11:31 AM
Orc

Default Endgame DPS Rogue vs. Monk vs. Ranger

Sooo... I have read a lot of various posts on here and have seen a lot of people saying Ranger's are by far the worst DPS and whatnot... Do people have logs to show numbers of how these 3 classes stack up next to each other? I mean I'm pretty sure it is Rogue>Monk>Ranger but maybe in certain fights and via the length of the fight and depending on the Monk pulling and whatnot Ranger/Monk spot may change in DPS numbers? Idk because I chatted with someone a few months back on twitch and he was in a high end guild as a Ranger and he swears he does pretty nice DPS like more than Monks a lot of the time. Idk if all the Ranger hate hearkens back to the hybrid penalties before velious or back on live people being bad and not fully utilizing them properly or not having group attk buffs/sow crap dmg tables etc... So my main question is are Rangers acceptable DPS in endgame for either raid targets or even high end group camps? I really love the Ranger/Monk classes a lot and trying to figure out what I wanna pursue but I don't wanna be sitting around feeling super duper gimped because the class wasn't fixed fully until Shadows of Luclin.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:17 PM
Planar Protector

BFG / disc ranger does more dps
Old 10-31-2018, 12:29 PM
Aviak

If your goal is top DPS, Rogue. End of that story. That is what they do, full stop.

If you want to have a little more utility, one of the best buffs in the game, and a more dynamic role to fill, then really consider Ranger.

If you want to lose XP... like all the damn time, then give Monk a go!

All kidding aside, Rangers can out DPS Monks and even some Rogues, under the right conditions. With a beastly bow, Trueshot and some good RNG (or bad RNG for the Rogues) you can out parse them. Especially when the Rogues are on a bad streak, since their uber DPS is entirely dependent on land their back stabs. I have had strings of 10+ misses in a row, and on those fights, Warriors were out DPSing me. But I have had fights where everything lines up and pulled over 150 DPS.

Lastly, play what you enjoy. There is a place for every class in a raid...except Wizards... don't play Wizards.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:36 PM
Orc

Oh good deal nice to hear that! See I love Monk for FD and just the cool lore and feel of them and playing an Iksar is really great and a ton of fun, I like that they can deep dive some dungeons with a Shaman endgame and make great duo partners for that. But I also love my Ranger for it's plethora of stuff (basically everything a druid gets utility wise anyways, aside from charms and ports) It's really killer having built in levitate/SoW/regen/invis/fear kite/tracking/hide/sneak etc... on a Melee DPS! Melee is my all time favorite, all though I am absolutely loving my Enchanter as well, so I probably will stick with my Ranger and if I can't stand it later or whatever Ill swap to Monk.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:24 PM
Planar Protector

A rogue is easymode DPS. You can buy a MQ epic for like 30k and put anything in your offhand. Game over...just level up now.

Monks are often pulling. You love pulling? If you hate it is it worth trading for the ability to solo or go safely afk almost anywhere?

Rangers have a ton of utility. Yea with a bow that doesn't drop anymore or insane planes/NTOV weapons they are amazing but what isn't? On average, guild to guild and raid to raid besides a few oddballs they aren't beating out rogues for overall damage dealt. Otherwise there would be way more of them raiding.

Comparing apples to apples (gear/levels per gear/levels class) for melee dps you can't really compare other classes to rogues. They are boring as hell with a couple tricks but they do an amazing job at their primary function. They are a quality wood chisel when you NEED a wood chisel. You technically carve with a swiss army knife but it's not the same. That said, if you need to cut a sandwich with a wood chisel you will look pretty damn stupid doing it.

All of that said you have to play what you want. Take that class and work out all the tricks to be the best at your job.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:15 PM
Planar Protector

At level 60, gear quality being equal the default answer is Rog > monk > ranger. Special circumstances involving long cool down disc (trueshot) +\- BFG and rangers can land on top. With a good bow and luck, rangers can score big damage without BFG.

Raid burns notwithstanding ... rangers will in general be behind monks and well behind rogues unless there are significant gear discrepancies. In exp (high level) groups well geared rangers I’ve parsed hover 55-70 dps sustained on average. Comparably geared and buffed monks float 5-15 dps higher and rogues higher still. Endgame raid geared characters are capable of higher numbers.

There will always be special circumstances but in general, that’s where the chips seem to consistently land.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 10-31-2018, 07:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripqozko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I see rangers outdps equal geared monks more times in not later game. That's in straight melee
The best ranger weapons range from 0.71 to 0.78

Monk ratios go up to 0.83

Rangers for now have lower weapon skill caps and offensive skill cap.

Kick vs flying kick?

If I’m missing something please enlighten me (not being sarcastic here). If you’re quoting raid parses with full disc burn that’s fine but for raw sustained melee I’m just not connecting the dots. My parsing experiences do not and have never reflected what you’re implying and the raw nuts and bolts do not add up. Monks have superior weapon ratios at most all levels of gameplay. Endgame velious narrows that gap but it still exists and their skill caps are higher.

With chardok 2.0, they also get their own separate and improved tables at 55 and 60, higher minimums on flying kicks, and triple attack at 60.

I’m always open to having my mind changed, so please explain. So not counting a long refresh cool down disc, or melee with a BFG and finite supply of arrows you see rangers routinely beat out monks in straight melee dps?

Last edited by Troxx; 10-31-2018 at 07:06 PM..
Old 10-31-2018, 09:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripqozko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd they don't have gharns and tunare fists I parse better can parse me yaself if ya want
So ... if you have your BiS ... and they don’t have their BiS ... then you beat them? Cool! I thought we were talking about equal gear levels (ie monks have their content-equivalent class specific superior ratio weapons).

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Old 11-01-2018, 01:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So ... if you have your BiS ... and they don’t have their BiS ... then you beat them? Cool! I thought we were talking about equal gear levels (ie monks have their content-equivalent class specific superior ratio weapons).

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It’s almost as if there’s this idea that rogue > monk > ranger in terms of dps and there’s no exceptions, regardless of gear. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Still.. Rangers are for weaponshield, not dps.

Hopes this helps!
Old 11-01-2018, 02:09 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It’s almost as if there’s this idea that rogue > monk > ranger in terms of dps and there’s no exceptions, regardless of gear. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Still.. Rangers are for weaponshield, not dps.

Hopes this helps!
This if your playing a dps ranger your probably part of your guilds shitty problems
Closed Thread