Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: These rules work for you?
Agree 32 50.79%
Disagree 7 11.11%
Have no care either way 24 38.10%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 12:04 PM
Fire Giant

Question Camps or no camps

Greetings,

Not short but bitter. (Skip if you don't care)

I have played on this server for approximately 9 years and during that time one thing is never changed. A player's ability to try to grief other players by demanding camps or spawns because they're online and they want it. I have continually argued with players online, even involved GM's and had a few people banned. I would like to have as many people as possible post under this comment, and give a consensus that's how you feel about the server and how Camp rules are being observed or disregarded. I have always known our play nice policy and read the EULA agreement when playing this game. I have generally understood it to be either camps determined by the zone or buy a static spawn mob, meaning the mob does not run around in path. If the mob roams and paths generally it has been a first to engage. I would like one of the developers or controllers of the server to get involved in this post and also become involved online and enforcing once again the rules of the server. We are a community of players who are quite frankly Fed Up with allowing players to get away with their version of the rules to maintain a server population. (End my version)

I now share the link to the play nice policy still currently listed as of
November 5th, 2018

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=132299

If this is out of date as some have argued with me then I call upon the acting GM Sirken or Rogean to amend or replace this article with current rules of the server to be the end all be all of in game tolerances. There should be no gray area in a virtual world, we have enough of that in our own lives. Thanks to all of you especially our server architects and regulators as they work hard at what they do.

Those of you who are new or maybe inherit accounts and aren't familiar we do have rules, I cite them everyday when I'm online it seems and enough is enough. I'm not paid to help out or do anything I do, I simply do it because it is right and many online are wrong in how they play and who they defile with their actions. Please read the rules and post as you see fit. Agree or disagree. I want to see who likes rules as they are and who wants it changed. It's time for action and if change is needed to ensure a enjoyed experience by all then so be it. Give your thoughts.

Many and I mean many, of us are done governing for ourselves and getting upset when we are challenged or grieved by a few. Those few need to be watched and dealt with when a petition is sent.

Tluth (necro guardian of those that can't fight)
Old 11-05-2018, 01:11 PM
Planar Protector

The most heated drama fests occur because people forget this line:

"That being said, you can absolutely "camp" mobs, and you cannot steal another players 'camp'. In general, if the placeholder or placeholders for a spawn are being killed, that 'camp' can be considered held by the player doing the killing so long as they are keeping the placeholders (or the room if there are no placeholders) cleared, within the same zone, do not die or log off"

That means if you wipe at a camp, and I swoop in - you lose and can't say a damn thing about it. Clearly that conflicts with the soft Play Nice Policy. But thats the "rule"...
Old 11-05-2018, 01:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDFriend99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would like one of the developers or controllers of the server to get involved in this post and also become involved online and enforcing once again the rules of the server. We are a community of players who are quite frankly Fed Up with allowing players to get away with their version of the rules to maintain a server population. (End my version)
I know this isn't a "demand", but whenever someone is like "I want a staff member to respond to me", they have like a 1 in 3 chance (if that) of some kind soul like Llandris doing so. Not saying it won't happen, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDFriend99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have generally understood it to be either camps determined by the zone or buy a static spawn mob, meaning the mob does not run around in path. If the mob roams and paths generally it has been a first to engage.
First off, I think your understanding is close, but a bit off. The rules, as I understand them, are that outdoors you can "camp" (prevent another player from taking) a single spawn point. It doesn't matter whether the mob is static or dynamic: if you kill something, and are waiting at its spawn point when it respawns, no one else can take it. But, like many things here, there are certain special cases (eg. Stormfeather and Quillmane).

You can of course also kill mobs from multiple spawn points, but then if someone else comes along, you get to pick one spawn point to keep. Then, the newcomer gets one spawn point, and any remaining spawn points are FTE (First to Engage: whoever agroes the mob first gets it).

Indoors the rules are basically the same, but the staff might grant "camp" status to multiple spawn points, IF they are in line of sight of each other (and generally only when they're in the same room). However, there's no way for sure to know whether a staff member will grant such a camp until someone petitions. This is by design: the staff specifically doesn't want to be constrained by past rulings (eg. if Bob is acting like a jerk they might not let him camp two mobs, but if Fred was being polite and George the rude player comes along they might grant Fred three mobs that are together).

Now, with that explanation out of the way, it seems to me that the rules on this server are ... not optimized. To document this I started http://wiki.project1999.com/Rules, which details the many, many pages where "the rules" are listed. And that's just the (many copies of the) officially listed rules: there's also one off rulings and rules explanations made by staff members here in the forums (those 1 in 3 cases I mentioned).

Some day (and I have many wiki "irons in the fire", so this day may never come) I hope to combine all of those many rules page into a single page, and then lobby the staff to use it instead of the many disparate rule sources we currently have. But until I (or someone else) does that huge amount of work, and then successfully lobbies the staff, our current system of nine (plus) different rules posts, plus explanation of those rules in random staff posts, is just the way it is here.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:56 PM
Planar Protector

There currently are too few/insufficient “camp” rules which has led to people making up their own camp rules and or not understanding current rules (dont blame them - most current rulings on different camps like lucan/sf/lodi are scattered in 9 years of forum posts) and thus arguments constantly breaking out + un-needed petitions. In dire need of repair here.
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:57 PM
Planar Protector

Curious: What camps are you doing, on what class, that you're so constantly encountering problems with other players? I ask because your experience is vastly different than my own. I run into camp disputes only a handful of times a year, and mostly they're resolved by working it out with the other party. Are you mostly hanging around in popular and well-traveled areas?

I'm not disputing your own experience so much as I want to know where to avoid.

Danth
Old 11-05-2018, 02:10 PM
Aviak

Make sure to vote tomorrow!
Old 11-05-2018, 02:33 PM
Planar Protector

My only issue is the lack of time frame for leaving a mob up. There's been several threads about this.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:54 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legidias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My only issue is the lack of time frame for leaving a mob up. There's been several threads about this.
Agreed on this one. I personally take screenshots with /time in the chat scroll along with the combat scroll in a different window showing full mob spawns up for 6 and a half to 7 minutes, and then start pulling. Camps have to be actively maintained with a presence and spawns being killed. If a player ever wants to dispute this in game, I'll cheerfully report back with how it turns out.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:57 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaStoat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Agreed on this one. I personally take screenshots with /time in the chat scroll along with the combat scroll in a different window showing full mob spawns up for 6 and a half to 7 minutes, and then start pulling. Camps have to be actively maintained with a presence and spawns being killed. If a player ever wants to dispute this in game, I'll cheerfully report back with how it turns out.
Pictures are not a valid form of proof in these types of disputes, FYI.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:00 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pictures are not a valid form of proof in these types of disputes, FYI.
Good to know. I'll switch over to using OBS then for such instances. And for the record, I'll always attempt to engage a person at the fully spawned camp in a conversation rather than stay silent and then swoop in. For all anyone knows, the poor soul might have eaten at Panda Express and is having an extended personal emergency in the bathroom. Decency states and effort at least has to be made, I'd think.
Closed Thread