Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Sarnak

Default To duel weild or not to duel weild!

That is the question right? Ok, so I know this has been beat to death because I have already read 1million posts regarding monks using 2hb over duel weild from 30 to 50 for the riposites for and against us. So I bought a peacebringer because for me it was the best bang for the buck at 2800p from a friend. But ever since I have been using it I see nothing but twinkled monks such as myself using duel weild instead. I am twinkled basically to the max minus a fungus and CoF. Got most black panther skin armor, orc fang earrings, 65hp 6ac rings, mask of worms, etc etc. My duel weild compu I currently have is a little lacking with a jade mace and KD. But I could easily purchace and SoS and or AD club. Now one thing to mention is that I currently at lvl 37 am maxed hand to hand as well and I have become very good at swapping in and out my peacebringer to get my off hand to swing. I believe my 2hb is definately better dps than my duel weild but if I upgraded my duel weild wepons would they be better than the 2hb? Also I guess the main question is if it's so set in stone for 2hb over duel weild from 30 to 50 then why does it seem 80% of monks dont go this route?
Old 11-06-2018, 12:54 PM
Planar Protector

Question

Hamlet, Act III, Scene I
William Shakespeare, 1564 - 1616

To dual wield, or not to dual wield, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause: there's the respect
That makes calamity of so long life;
For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
The pangs of despised love, the law's delay,
The insolence of office and the spurns
That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin? who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscover'd country from whose bourn
No traveller returns, puzzles the will
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?
Thus conscience does make cowards of us all;
And thus the native hue of resolution
Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
And enterprises of great pith and moment
With this regard their currents turn awry,
And lose the name of action.—Soft you now!
The fair Ophelia! Nymph, in thy orisons
Be all my sins remember'd.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:03 PM
Planar Protector

By and large people love DW spam. You miss a few hits with a 2h and it's agony but people don't remember the big hits or the lack of ripostes.

Maybe save up a bit more and buy the A.club then toss the KD's in your offhand? Sure a SoS is a better offhand ratio but in the offhand it's not going to be a massive drop. At least that way you could compare 2hb to DW as you level up.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:05 PM
Planar Protector

I don't monk very often or very well, but I never thought of a monk as a DPS class anyway. Perfect pulling, DPS where you can, but don't make it your livelihood. Nobody is going to notice whether a monk does +/- DPS in groups or in raids. The only people who post DPS logs are loser rogues who only selectively post the ones they happen to be on top of and you can't win against someone who only looks at the contests they already won.

Long story short, it doesn't matter what you hit the mobs with, just hit them and do your job.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:27 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't monk very often or very well, but I never thought of a monk as a DPS class anyway. Perfect pulling, DPS where you can, but don't make it your livelihood. Nobody is going to notice whether a monk does +/- DPS in groups or in raids. The only people who post DPS logs are loser rogues who only selectively post the ones they happen to be on top of and you can't win against someone who only looks at the contests they already won.

Long story short, it doesn't matter what you hit the mobs with, just hit them and do your job.
This is a terrible take. "You'll never be the best, so why bother?" By this logic every melee/tank besides Warriors and Rogues should just use GJBS and Springwood Clubs, since their dps doesn't matter anyway.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:57 PM
Skeleton

Hodor
Old 11-07-2018, 03:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
By and large people love DW spam. You miss a few hits with a 2h and it's agony but people don't remember the big hits or the lack of ripostes.
Quoted for emphasis. At 47 a twinked partner of mine was doing a good 35-50% more damage with IFS compared with jade made and SoS offhand. AC is certainly better than jade mace, but not by that huge of a huge margin. In your 50s damage bonus for now does favor duel wield but be aware that a 30 delay peacebringer at level 60 will put out more damage bonus than 9/16 epic fist after the chardok patch goes live. We have no idea how far off that patch is but it’s coming. That patch will change monk weapon preferences hugely. Damage bonus will favor PB and TStaff over fast epic fists. I expect TS PB and IFS will put out consistently more damage than any combination of epic and on raid weapon.

People love DW spam. It makes them feel like they are doing more damage even though they may be doing less. On the flip side 2handers hit big but swing slowly and a string of misses are frankly discouraging.

Point is ... when in doubt, parse it. If I were you I’d just save the money and stick with Peacebringer.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Last edited by Troxx; 11-07-2018 at 03:22 PM..
Old 11-07-2018, 06:09 PM
Aviak

Hijacking thread

Any idea how PB and IFS will compare to each other after the Chardok patch?
Old 11-07-2018, 11:21 PM
Planar Protector

IFS has a slightly better ratio but 30 delay is about as close to the damage bonus sweet spot as you can get.

Regardless, I’ve always considered IFS the superior weapon because:

A) 4 weight vs 10 (that’s a huge difference)
B) it doesn’t look like dog shit
C) better ratio while also being slower; far fewer ripostes taken; your own ripostes do more dmg; less damage shield eaten

Right now, having owned both I can say that IFS isn’t far behind TStaff at all. TStaff right now is competitive with epic/SoS combo. On average it’s ever so slightly behind but that’s going to change in a big way with new damage bonus tables ... even more so when you consider monks get triple attack innately at 60.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Last edited by Troxx; 11-07-2018 at 11:25 PM..
Old 11-08-2018, 09:11 AM
Fire Giant

my exp soloing a monk 1 to 55+ (fungi, cof, etc), have jade mace+sos / Tstaff

in general, i just have more hp after a fight when i use 2h. of course i didn't test this extensively at every level, but when u solo all the time u just know the minimal health you need to kill one - if u solo a lot u'll know what i mean.

when i switch to dual wield i just end up having lower hp than what i expected, or end up unable to kill the mob. this is more obvious at 50+, before 50 the difference wasn't so obvious.
Closed Thread