Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 12:09 PM
Banned

Being insulted for immersion levels prevents me from explaining to you how twisting songs is entirely plausible
Old 06-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Sarnak

/Facepalm
Old 06-19-2013, 01:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfelfbard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
/Facepalm
?
Old 06-19-2013, 01:19 PM
Planar Protector

Well, if you want a realistic reproduce of the classes then the standard NPCs in classic EQ weren't a good example anyway. The rangers I killed on live, for example, never were smart enough to try to root/snare me and then run away a safe distance to heal up. And if I was on a warrior they feasibly could have rooted me and used their bow to supplement their killing power. Instead they just stood there within melee range and I killed them. For that matter, none of the classes were very smart. So while they did implement an abysmal example of the bard, the rest of the examples weren't great, either. Don't skip over that, please.

Bottom line, don't expect much from NPC AI. In fact, I've seen many examples in the MMORPG arena from different companies that they think smart NPCs would be too hard/grindy for players to kill. Honestly, would you enjoy it if an NPC kited you or used the walls to protect itself while it healed up? Would you like it if they always ran to other NPCs even when they were above 70% health just to ensure they'd win?

Good AI would make the game more inaccessible. Think about the warrior example I gave. I tested the idea several times with a lvl 17 ranger and lvl 17 warrior. Basically, the ranger's root gave him infinitely more power versus the warrior. The warrior had no chance. So if we had good AI in classic EQ then soloing warriors would never touch a ranger or any class that roots/snares. And we all know that one of the compaints warriors had was that they couldn't solo well. Imagine their ability to solo being even worse...

This is why on the pvp servers most starting players would do hybrids or casters. Doing a warrior or monk, by comparison, put you in harms way because it exposed you to twinks AND new players, unless you had a close knit group of friends to play with. The other thing was that there were less players on pvp servers and non-hybrids couldn't find groups. So the beforementioned warrior will wander from zone to zone looking for a group and then get potentially killed by a random hybrid that's not even twinked.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 06-19-2013 at 01:33 PM..
Old 06-19-2013, 04:51 PM
Fire Giant

This is a bizarre thread.

The OP brings up a point, discussion begins and the OP freaks out because his thread has encouraged ideas and discussion based on said point.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The OP brings up a point, discussion begins and the OP freaks out because his thread has encouraged ideas and discussion based on said point.

Lol, man I am so freaking out right now.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Sarnak

Back on track - you're right about normal bard NPCs, they should cast bard songs, but they didn't on live so they won't on here.

And in reference to the bard dragons, all dragons have a set 1-5 AEs/spells they cast. Most being just AE DD/ AE Fear.

Except for a couple exceptions, Silverwing and Hosh buff each other and other mobs. And Silverwing will Wind of Tashania mid-fight, but I've never noticed them use any of their other class specific spells mid-fight.