Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 09:51 PM
Planar Protector

No, nightblindness for 3 of 12 races did not slow the game down. Players who wanted a faster game dumped their nightblind characters and were not slowed down at all. Players who started as one of the other 9 races because that's waht they wanted to do out of the box were not slowed down at all.

Some of the players slowed the game down. Others took down Nagafen & Vox within a few months of server up despite all of the limitations of the UI & mechanics. I still recall the GM's serverwide shout when Vox went down the first time on Tunare server (26 players from 5 guilds, imagine that nowadays, lol.)

Dunno what kind of nostalgia's filtering your view, but it's pretty skewed from how the game I started playing in July of '99 went down.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:08 PM
Planar Protector

Night blindness - back in 99 every sane person upped their gamma, all the smart ones played a char with infra/ultra, like say insanely "casual" halfling with xp bonus on top of ridiculously good stats.

Classical "box screen" - before I discovered F10 mode, I always thought that tiny image with giant border on the side was a retarded waste of space. Once I discovered F10 - I never went back.

Item Linking - you got to be shitting me. If you don't like item linking, perhaps you want to buy my Celeron 300, with 16 MBs of ram and 32k modem thats sitting in my closet? I will sell it to you at 1999 price too, to keep it completely classic.

[Zuranthium;1453395]
The people who invented the first space ships were brilliant. That doesn't mean anybody should actually want to use them 200 years later. Ideas are limited by means of execution. Everquest has amazing ideas that need to be completely reworked in their execution, in order for classic Everquest as it was envisioned to actually exist and continue to be relevant as things have evolved.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kika Maslyaka [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
like say insanely "casual" halfling with xp bonus on top of ridiculously good stats.
Humans are hardmode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kika Maslyaka [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
perhaps you want to buy my Celeron 300, with 16 MBs of ram and 32k modem thats sitting in my closet? I will sell it to you at 1999 price too, to keep it completely classic.
thats a good deal right there

Oh yea .... Piss Off.

H
Old 09-23-2013, 11:39 PM
Sarnak

Anyone who pretends that 1999-era games being hard because they were shitty somehow makes them equivalent to actual hard games is retarded. Nintendo Hard is not real Hard. Mega Man is not even remotely equatable to Dark Souls. Get the fuck over yourself.

I don't even care about the shitty "demands" of Classic that you're making - devs are on-record saying if they could change the client fundamentally they would, but they can't. The decision is made and they agree with you. That's a moot point. I don't care much either way. What I think is absurd is this pretentious attitude that "shitty" somehow equals "hard" or "better."

Also, a dude.
Last edited by SCB; 09-23-2013 at 11:41 PM..
Old 09-24-2013, 12:34 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCB [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone who pretends that 1999-era games being hard because they were shitty somehow makes them equivalent to actual hard games is retarded. Nintendo Hard is not real Hard. Mega Man is not even remotely equatable to Dark Souls. Get the fuck over yourself.

I don't even care about the shitty "demands" of Classic that you're making - devs are on-record saying if they could change the client fundamentally they would, but they can't. The decision is made and they agree with you. That's a moot point. I don't care much either way. What I think is absurd is this pretentious attitude that "shitty" somehow equals "hard" or "better."
Whoa.. Settle down lol
Old 09-24-2013, 01:29 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edame [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Whoa.. Settle down lol
Don't let my foul mouth make you think I'm upset. I often come across as an "11" when I'm at about a "2". I'm just foulmouthed when I'm feeling conversational. Usually I work hard to edit that stuff out (literally I edit posts either right before clicking "submit reply" or right after) and just didn't in here because fuck it.

Also, a dude.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:24 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edame [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Whoa.. Settle down lol
Old 09-24-2013, 03:37 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No, nightblindness for 3 of 12 races did not slow the game down. Players who wanted a faster game dumped their nightblind characters and were not slowed down at all. Players who started as one of the other 9 races because that's waht they wanted to do out of the box were not slowed down at all.

Some of the players slowed the game down. Others took down Nagafen & Vox within a few months of server up despite all of the limitations of the UI & mechanics. I still recall the GM's serverwide shout when Vox went down the first time on Tunare server (26 players from 5 guilds, imagine that nowadays, lol.)

Dunno what kind of nostalgia's filtering your view, but it's pretty skewed from how the game I started playing in July of '99 went down.
And? I started in April 99 a couple of weeks after the game went live. Played with my best friend who was in the beta.

This isn't about nostalgia. It's about getting the server as close to classic as possible. Not just the parts you or I may or may not have liked.

They actually went to the trouble of reinstating the hybrid group exp penalties here on p99, arguably the stupidest design decision of original EQ....even the man himself Brad McQuade admitted later that it was one of the worst design choices they ever made....And it flabberghasted me at the time, just like you are in this discussion. Why break things that later got fixed, right? And the exp penalty is much worse for hybrids here than it ever was on live. But in the long view, it totally makes sense, if what they are doing is trying to create the most classic possible server here. And I respect that.

Point being, if they are going to actually break classes knowing full well that it was pretty much universally accepted that it was a bad idea to begin with, then everything is on the table. Make it as classic as absolutely possible, including no item linking and night blindness.

If you want a classic-ish server then go to another EMU. But things are either classic or they are not, regardless of what you or I have to say about it. You may not, but there are a lot of people who would love to play classic EQ again exactly as it was. Myself included. If that's a fucking problem for you, then that's your problem.

You have no argument when the entire point of the project is to be classic. Sorry.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:46 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCB [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

"Shitty" is your opinion. I call it classic. Because that's how it was in actual, you know, classic EQ. Sorry that's such a problem for you.

You should check out The Sleeper server. No night blindness, item linking, and boxing. Or just go play wow. As I said before, if you don't like things about classic EQ, take it up with Brad McQuade. And while yer at it, ill give you a list of things I didn't care for too. Still won't change what's classic and what isn't though.
Last edited by Weekapaug; 09-24-2013 at 03:49 AM..
Old 09-24-2013, 07:03 AM
Planar Protector

oh classic client, how I dream of thee