Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 02:15 PM
Banned

Default How do you feel?

How do you feel about corpse summoners at the main Classic cities like Neriak, Grobb, Qeynos, Freeport, Halas, Kelethin. Not Akanon, Rivervale, or Kaladim, shorties don't need to CR.

Seriously though. This would let people spend like 200p and get their corpse back out of NTOV with a token, and encourage more high end PvP I feel.

Yes, necros can do this for people, but on a low population box, not everyone has necrofriends.

Also a big fan of major city soulbinders, even one out in north Karana at the gypsies, but not anywhere non-classic.

Please keep this in mind for teams [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-07-2020, 05:03 PM
Banned

Nothing you say or do matters at all, no one takes you seriousley and everything you have done and will do with your life was and is pointless.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:08 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How do you feel about corpse summoners at the main Classic cities like Neriak, Grobb, Qeynos, Freeport, Halas, Kelethin. Not Akanon, Rivervale, or Kaladim, shorties don't need to CR.

Seriously though. This would let people spend like 200p and get their corpse back out of NTOV with a token, and encourage more high end PvP I feel.

Yes, necros can do this for people, but on a low population box, not everyone has necrofriends.

Also a big fan of major city soulbinders, even one out in north Karana at the gypsies, but not anywhere non-classic.

Please keep this in mind for teams [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This was part of the original zek pvp emu server ran by Devnoob and Image. It was really great for the server overall. You would have to wait about 20 minutes and then you could summon your corpse for a fee. There was also a zone lockout for a bit of time in the zone you died in.

If something similar were implemented on the next p99 pvp server that would be wonderful. It would allow for situations in game to continue to play out instead of getting corpse camped, having to do the lame "loot n scoot" call, or even worse be stuck without your corpse for however long.
Last edited by Sguchi; 03-07-2020 at 05:16 PM..
Old 03-07-2020, 08:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsham [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nothing you say or do matters at all, no one takes you seriousley and everything you have done and will do with your life was and is pointless.
That is the universe. I want you to know, in the present moment. I love you though Bigsham. Thank you so much for playing this game and forumquesting with me. Your cosmic strings touched mine tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sguchi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This was part of the original zek pvp emu server ran by Devnoob and Image. It was really great for the server overall. You would have to wait about 20 minutes and then you could summon your corpse for a fee. There was also a zone lockout for a bit of time in the zone you died in.

If something similar were implemented on the next p99 pvp server that would be wonderful. It would allow for situations in game to continue to play out instead of getting corpse camped, having to do the lame "loot n scoot" call, or even worse be stuck without your corpse for however long.
Thanks for taking a minute to respond. Both sounds awesome! Glad to hear it is workable and that it did have a positive outcome when it was tried ) Rogean really likes this kind of stuff too, so it certainly doesn't hurt to think and feel about it out in the public [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-08-2020, 04:22 AM
Fire Giant

I'm all for semi-custom solutions to issues the original EQ devs did not address as it relates to PVP (Rogean can't stop talking about it) but deviating too far from classic is more of a turn off to many than the original issue you endeavored to address. Where do you stop? Soul binders? Mercenaries? Porting NPCs? Hell, why not just eliminate corpse runs entirely? But I digress, I may not be as much of a classic purist as old Nirgon but custom content to this degree is too much of a departure from classic EQ or Project 1999's interpretation of it IMHO.
Last edited by Danger; 03-08-2020 at 04:27 AM..
Old 03-08-2020, 10:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm all for semi-custom solutions to issues the original EQ devs did not address as it relates to PVP (Rogean can't stop talking about it) but deviating too far from classic is more of a turn off to many than the original issue you endeavored to address. Where do you stop? Soul binders? Mercenaries? Porting NPCs? Hell, why not just eliminate corpse runs entirely? But I digress, I may not be as much of a classic purist as old Nirgon but custom content to this degree is too much of a departure from classic EQ or Project 1999's interpretation of it IMHO.
You make a very reasonable point. And if nothing happened but a fresh box with the P99est of rules. I could see it still being good. For a time.

I believe a compromise in one thing at least. For example. When do people quit red? How do we get them to stay and join the fight on a team? A side?

I feel like the vast majority of blue players who'm we could recruit want "fairness" and that the biggest fights on red where about how unfair the sides where. I like Tradesonreds really TLDR paragraphs. But I also think one or two. Not three, changes in the direction of end game fairness would make a huge improvement in the lifespan of a red server.

--------

All this said, I play Red99 for nostalgia, and to enjoy the game as it was. So I can remember my good old glory days from earlier iterations of Red, Zek, and Live. I do want the game to stay what it was. So I can remember what it was like. I also would like to be more free to take a few risks, invest some time. I am getting old. I don't have 16 hrs to raid. If I could take a CHANCE, at logging in at 9pm EST for 3 hrs, and get a chance to fight in a big pvp battle. For some dragons. I would be much more eager to participate in the end game, in the stuff that makes servers thrive long term.

Until then. I will be RPing a little cute necromancer lady in Befallen et al. <3 much love and many pras's to you all.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:54 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sguchi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Rise of zek had this, but it was in halas. I don't remember it costing anything tho.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:37 PM
Planar Protector

Forums suck now it’s actually real nerds.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That is the universe. I want you to know, in the present moment. I love you though Bigsham. Thank you so much for playing this game and forumquesting with me. Your cosmic strings touched mine tonight.

Thanks for taking a minute to respond. Both sounds awesome! Glad to hear it is workable and that it did have a positive outcome when it was tried ) Rogean really likes this kind of stuff too, so it certainly doesn't hurt to think and feel about it out in the public [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The "funny" thing about all this good feedback is it most likely isnt read. Split up in 4-5 disparate posts that the staff cant even be bothered to try to regroup in one big official thread they can take insights from. That tells you right there that the staff might (we have to guess, nothing new here) be interested in feedback prior to launching, but not enough to even try to aggregate all the info thats coming from the players. So its hard to know how much, but minimally, they obviously do not care a whole lot. Considering the disastrous launch of red in 2011, that is a very bad sign that they havent learned much from it.

I cant even tell if they actually get why the pop went from 500-ish to 150 in a couple of months. Strictly from reading Rogean talk about 2.0, he himself doesnt get it. The "i wonder if" part is left for the rest of the staff and what kind of weight they have in deciding the server ruleset.

Red 2.0 will probably be launched metaphorically like a shot in the dark, probably as much chance of a good pvp server setup as some monkeys typing it on a typewriter.

If i get surprised ill give apologies, but it defo doesnt look to be headed that way. Rogean has a mindset that seems like who gives a shit what they want, theyre not paying, its my free time, blablabla. Well, hes right, but it works both ways. Nobodys forced to invest time on a shitty server setup where the devs are going to repeat the same mistakes that sunk red 1.0. Even the neckbeards will give it up once server cleans out and they realize theres nothing there, only the work needed to be done to get those pixels back on a fresh new exciting dead server.
Last edited by Tradesonred; 03-14-2020 at 05:11 AM..
Old 03-14-2020, 05:25 AM
Banned

What i mean by disastrous launch is everything was there on the forums to help them rapidly correct the hard population bleed that was happening because of xp loss in pvp. Rogean just brushed it off like lol this isnt call of duty. They removed it something like 1.3 years later if i remember correctly, after all the damage was done.

And 9-ish years later, i can still read Rogean making terrible, almost laughable assesments like "We need to let level 50s one-shot lowbies to protect them". He didnt say it that way, but thats what it meant in practice. Thats a mindset that pvp is something that people have to be protected from, not something you do daily because its fun.

It wouldnt be all bad if the things hes proposing would actually protect lowbies, but instead they would make it much, much worse than just losing xp in pvp ever was (as harsh and hugely detrimental to a fun daily dose of pvp that this was, the bread and butter of rallos life) surpassing red's launch as something totally unbalanced in favor of players who already know the game and are in a 50 people guild on day 1.

The reason red failed is because the ruleset made it that dying in pvp was so harsh, zergs and gank squads ruled every zone and your options as a new, soloish player were to hide in a corner somewhere and hope no one would find you while you PVE'd on a pvp server. A completely different experience than on rallos, where you would meet up with people through pvp, that you would end up doing PVE with afterwards. Messaging that guy u just saw die to the crew thats been killing you for 20mins like "hey lets tag team these guys" Nobody wanted to pvp on red at launch, basically. That was the heart of the problem, it was a boring pvp experience and the choices left to people was to join a zerg or not pvp. There was also that other choice, which was not to play a boring game, which alot of people took.

It acted as a great filter and once the distillate process was done, you had refined the population to its worse, most griefy, idiotic essence that the staff im guessing didnt want to interact with too much.

Once again, the feedback is all there for them to at least sidestep the most obvious pitfalls there are for 2.0. I just cant get excited about a new server until i read some fucking common sense coming out of the staff's mouths and seeing a legit interest in making it work.
Last edited by Tradesonred; 03-14-2020 at 05:54 AM..
Closed Thread