Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 11:32 PM
Planar Protector

And don’t worry the next progression server will be PvP so you can rest happily for a while in the combined blue green complete server
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:39 PM
Fire Giant

My prediction is...

Blue and green have always been almost the same population wise because there is a core of no life neck beards who play both servers. These are mostly players focused on blue but who realize that they should play green for a chance to bring more look back to blue especially legacy items.

The novelty of this will fade eventually, maybe green 2.0, 3.0, etc doesn't matter. That will eventually starve the green server of population as the core blue players stop bothering as they have enough legacy items. This will make non-core green players get bored of playing on a mostly empty server causing green to slowly die.

Blue will continue on with it's no life loser core of about 200 players fluctuating between 200-800 depending on if raid mobs are up and how many non-core players are around.

That is the future of the servers. There won't be anything new or interesting. Green and/or blue will get iteratively more classic. That's it. Eventually the project will be "finished" and something will happen likely the whole thing will get shut down by staff apathy and disappear either overnight or in some kind of final server event before the plug is pulled.

Alternate time line everything still happens this way but first some kind of custom content is added for blue to keep people interested as population declines but this will only doom things further as the "classic" nature of the server is even more removed than it already is.
Old 01-05-2022, 12:11 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My prediction is...

Blue and green have always been almost the same population wise because there is a core of no life neck beards who play both servers. These are mostly players focused on blue but who realize that they should play green for a chance to bring more look back to blue especially legacy items.

The novelty of this will fade eventually, maybe green 2.0, 3.0, etc doesn't matter. That will eventually starve the green server of population as the core blue players stop bothering as they have enough legacy items. This will make non-core green players get bored of playing on a mostly empty server causing green to slowly die.

Blue will continue on with it's no life loser core of about 200 players fluctuating between 200-800 depending on if raid mobs are up and how many non-core players are around.

That is the future of the servers. There won't be anything new or interesting. Green and/or blue will get iteratively more classic. That's it. Eventually the project will be "finished" and something will happen likely the whole thing will get shut down by staff apathy and disappear either overnight or in some kind of final server event before the plug is pulled.

Alternate time line everything still happens this way but first some kind of custom content is added for blue to keep people interested as population declines but this will only doom things further as the "classic" nature of the server is even more removed than it already is.
For anyone who needs a TLDR on this: the whiney guy who says he doesn’t play on the server but somehow has nothing better to do with his life than come to the forums and rag on the server and the staff is yet again making negative comments about the server and the people who play on it, and making a negative prediction about its future. Shocker!
Old 01-05-2022, 03:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If I played on green I’d be psyched to have my green guys re United with blue guys.
This. I didn't farm legacy stuff to get rich on blue, just stuff for personal use. I made class selections specifically to complement my roster of blue characters without having overlap. If they don't merge, then I would have definitely played other classes on green than the ones that I chose.
Old 01-05-2022, 05:21 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooloo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes but many blue players don't *want* green to be merged in. And many green players don't want a merge either. So you will inevitably upset somebody, the question is which demographic really sustains the project?
Both demographics do, as evidenced by the similar pop numbers on both servers.

[ Kurrat - Arch Mage ]
[ Kurrate - Crusader ]
<Legacy of Fire>

Old 01-05-2022, 08:21 AM
Planar Protector

Its only been similar populations since Velious launched on green. During the classic era green was WILDLY more popular, and significantly more popular still during Kunark although it lost some population after classic.
Old 01-05-2022, 11:37 AM
Orc

If you want a larger player base your focus should be on making the game easier to install.

I tried to join in 2015 but it didn't work with the copy of Titanium I had. This is a major block for tons of people.
Old 01-05-2022, 11:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooChicken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you want a larger player base your focus should be on making the game easier to install.

I tried to join in 2015 but it didn't work with the copy of Titanium I had. This is a major block for tons of people.
It’s really not lol
Old 01-05-2022, 12:50 PM
Kobold

I couldn't get it going as a mac user either
Old 01-05-2022, 12:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It’s really not lol
He does have some merit to the point that P99 (and other emulated servers in general) are more difficult to install than other software, which is typically just an installer with an automated patcher. I agree it isn't super challenging, and the guides are pretty clear. But it is a bit of a pain for first time users, and plenty of people have abandoned software for lesser infractions lol.

However, ShampooChicken may not know this is generally the problem with this kind of emulated MMO software. The P99 developers do NOT have access to the source code of the client, and therefore must employ non-standard methods to get the client working with their server. You do not normally develop software this way, and thus it will not follow the standard people are used to.

Sadly there isn't any way to fix this barrier to entry, unless whoever owns the Everquest IP gives the P99 developers the source code for the client. It is simply a technical issue baked into the cake.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-05-2022 at 12:55 PM..
Closed Thread