Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 06-06-2022, 07:04 PM
Skeleton

Default Please help a dumb old-man veteran player install on Mac

Hi and thank you, I am not the most tech literate.

I played back in the late 90s and early 2000s then played p1999 around 2013 and 2014.

I want to jump back in but am having some very serious roadblocks.

I am trying to play on Mac through Parallels, here are the specs:

macOS Monterey 64bit
3GHz DC Intel i7
16GB 1600 DDR3 RAM
Intel Iris 1536MB Graphics

I have the ISOs and Parallels installed.

When I run the install on Disc 1 the process begins fine but stops 1/3rd of the way in (stopping on C:\...\Sony\EverQuest\solrotower_obj.s3d) and I get this error:

*The following error occured on the file
*'\\Mac\EQ_TITANIUM_2\data3.cab'.
*The network name cannot be found.
*(0x43)

I get the option to ignore and I can about a dozen times with more files loading in the progress bar however it eventually crashes the install.

I have all ISOs mounted on the Mac side of things but all discs show up in the drives on Windows 10 in Parallels. I don't know how to mount the discs in Windows, if that is what I need to do I will need advice on how to do that. (Sorry, I have only ever had Mac computers.)

Any ideas why? I would like to knock this install out ASAP before the demo time of Parallels runs out so I know whether or not I need to budget for purchases a license.

All the best and thanks again!
Old 06-06-2022, 07:39 PM
Fire Giant

You do know you can run a Virtual Machine in Windows and install it there virtualized and avoid all the hassle of paid third party software?

Not only is it free, but all you need is an easy to get Windows 7 ISO legally off public internet files.

The MAC can easily run Virtualbox, which , did I mention before its 100% free?

You can literally with those specs run a win7, heck even a win10 image and avoid all the hassles.

Mounting a virtual machine takes at the most, 10 minutes, and mostly while it installs windows off the image.

Once its mounted you can literally run everything there, even install mounting windows software for the client and even run p99 as well without issues within your mac ... for free.

-----------------
You can also try to find a fully installed client, which will make your life easier as well, but if you insist on using the game original iso installers think different and just virtualize windows within that puter.
----------------

Mine is a measly core i3 and I can emulate Mac and windows within it without issues.

You can also run wine directly off Mac as well, but thats more complicated, so I believe, the most low tech approach for you is to create a Virtual Machine with Virtualbox and ditch Parallels

Watch this video and tell me if it helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEvM-No4eQo

Parallels is just a fancy Virtualbox that will give you tech support that might or might not help.

Give it a try and tell me if it works.

You can ALSO try to see if the Wine experience might work for you as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz-nI4LW2Jw ... which is free too! 8)
----------------------------------
[center]
Last edited by Vormotus; 06-06-2022 at 07:44 PM..
Old 06-06-2022, 07:59 PM
Skeleton

I may try setting up virtual box, but let's just go with Parallels for now as it seems to accomplish the same. I have already spent a lot of time working down that route and have a lot of install notes from other players for that process already.

I can't use Wine whatsoever as my machine does not support 32bit apps. 10 years ago when I played I built my own wrapper from scratch and it took me 2 weeks and I didn't have a kid or a serious job then and a lot of free time haha.

My question now is: How do I find a fully installed client and how would I import that into my system's virtual machine (Windows 10 on Parallels)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vormotus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You do know you can run a Virtual Machine in Windows and install it there virtualized and avoid all the hassle of paid third party software?

Not only is it free, but all you need is an easy to get Windows 7 ISO legally off public internet files.

The MAC can easily run Virtualbox, which , did I mention before its 100% free?

You can literally with those specs run a win7, heck even a win10 image and avoid all the hassles.

Mounting a virtual machine takes at the most, 10 minutes, and mostly while it installs windows off the image.

Once its mounted you can literally run everything there, even install mounting windows software for the client and even run p99 as well without issues within your mac ... for free.

-----------------
You can also try to find a fully installed client, which will make your life easier as well, but if you insist on using the game original iso installers think different and just virtualize windows within that puter.
----------------

Mine is a measly core i3 and I can emulate Mac and windows within it without issues.

You can also run wine directly off Mac as well, but thats more complicated, so I believe, the most low tech approach for you is to create a Virtual Machine with Virtualbox and ditch Parallels

Watch this video and tell me if it helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEvM-No4eQo

Parallels is just a fancy Virtualbox that will give you tech support that might or might not help.

Give it a try and tell me if it works.

You can ALSO try to see if the Wine experience might work for you as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz-nI4LW2Jw ... which is free too! 8)
Old 06-07-2022, 01:11 AM
Skeleton

Figured it out.
Old 06-07-2022, 03:06 AM
Planar Protector

nice avtar
Old 06-10-2022, 01:13 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingthumper [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Figured it out.
Amazing! decided to check here to see if you needed more help! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

How was it? were you able to login without issues?

I never tried parallels before, have only experience with Virtualbox, is it any good?

And hey, if you already can play! amazing! Hope to see you in game! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
----------------------------------
[center]
Old 06-11-2022, 06:11 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingthumper [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Figured it out.
how