Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 08:20 AM
Planar Protector

The server is meant to reflect Nilbog's vision of "good" EQ. Nothing else matters, really.

If you happen to agree with him, great (I do).

If you don't... TAKP is right there and is also a good server.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:11 AM
Sarnak

With regards to the classic->Kunark power shift, it was enormous. If I'm looking at Rogue piercers, and say "what's a relatively easy to acquire weapon for a raiding rogue look like", classic is going to be like a 10/24 eyerazzia or a 9/27 shrieking ahlspiess. Kunark, its going to be Ragebringer. Yes, someone with an ebonsting and a 41% sky haste belt is going to see a much smaller difference, but the difficulty and volume of loot between raiding the higher islands in sky with level 50's and no clicky clerics vs. doing the Rogue epic is huge.

I don't know how many of you leveled up with old world weapons and then got a Ragebringer. I wasn't even in this boat, because even with with ALS level restrictions to prevent taking advantage of the glut of weapons that come out of Seb and HS, it was clearly massively easier to go camp an Iksar Berserker Club and a Jade Chokdai prod than to try for any equivalent old world weaponry. A planar trash equipped classic rogue should be slightly stronger than those, but not by very much, and the transition from those to Ragebringer? Absolutely nuts.

Lots of classes are going to see a similar shift. Just getting infinite 96% Clicky Rez alone is massive, massive power creep. Focus of Spirit makes non-stamina stats mostly irrelevant since capping strength becomes trivial for basically everyone. Torpor completely changes shaman power levels. Wizards get lure spells to be able to really hit high end targets, etc.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:40 AM
Planar Protector

True, weapons were both lacking in classic, and made pretty irrelevant with Kunark I wont disagree with that. But I'm the kinda guy that wished kunark was ratcheted down 5 levels and all the items reduced in power by about 25% so, it's not gonna take much to convince me that kunark was also too powerful.

It's just that compared to what you get with velious, it's not as powerful.

edit: wait, let me clarify [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] not as powerful, with regards to making earlier content irrelevant.
Last edited by Jibartik; 07-18-2019 at 10:43 AM..
Old 07-18-2019, 10:55 AM
Planar Protector

Even at lvl 60 with velious gear breaking into fear isnt trivial for instance. Theres power creep but it’s not as bad as the later expansions where toons could solo all the kunark and velious bosses.
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:11 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaezil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Even at lvl 60 with velious gear breaking into fear isnt trivial for instance. Theres power creep but it’s not as bad as the later expansions where toons could solo all the kunark and velious bosses.
good thing they revamped all the item's in that zone to make people want to go back, after the devs made it all irrelevant with velious's itemisation [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-18-2019, 11:53 AM
Planar Protector

I'd consider pre-kunark planes a different phase to vanilla EQ. Itemisation of dragons, temple of sol ro and planes are things I consider separate to 'true' vanilla.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd consider pre-kunark planes a different phase to vanilla EQ. Itemisation of dragons, temple of sol ro and planes are things I consider separate to 'true' vanilla.
I like that actually, if kunark, and velious were cut up and spread out over the course of like twice or three times as many years, updated intermittently, I bet not only would they have had time to make each update even better but it would be like the rate that I think would have been cooler than just dropping a huge content dump every year.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thGate [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
With regards to the classic->Kunark power shift, it was enormous. If I'm looking at Rogue piercers, and say "what's a relatively easy to acquire weapon for a raiding rogue look like", classic is going to be like a 10/24 eyerazzia or a 9/27 shrieking ahlspiess. Kunark, its going to be Ragebringer. Yes, someone with an ebonsting and a 41% sky haste belt is going to see a much smaller difference, but the difficulty and volume of loot between raiding the higher islands in sky with level 50's and no clicky clerics vs. doing the Rogue epic is huge.

I don't know how many of you leveled up with old world weapons and then got a Ragebringer. I wasn't even in this boat, because even with with ALS level restrictions to prevent taking advantage of the glut of weapons that come out of Seb and HS, it was clearly massively easier to go camp an Iksar Berserker Club and a Jade Chokdai prod than to try for any equivalent old world weaponry. A planar trash equipped classic rogue should be slightly stronger than those, but not by very much, and the transition from those to Ragebringer? Absolutely nuts.

Lots of classes are going to see a similar shift. Just getting infinite 96% Clicky Rez alone is massive, massive power creep. Focus of Spirit makes non-stamina stats mostly irrelevant since capping strength becomes trivial for basically everyone. Torpor completely changes shaman power levels. Wizards get lure spells to be able to really hit high end targets, etc.
yeah it's inane, just think about like transitioning from single to double backstab, or getting POTG, or literally anything lol

i'm wondering how many posts it's gonna take jibartik to realize that his entire case rests on defining "content relevance" as "drops loot i, subjectively, would want"
Old 07-18-2019, 01:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
yeah it's inane, just think about like transitioning from single to double backstab, or getting POTG, or literally anything lol

i'm wondering how many posts it's gonna take jibartik to realize that his entire case rests on defining "content relevance" as "drops loot i, subjectively, would want"
Are you seriously going to sit here and tell me that my fantasies about a video game hurt you?

I personally think content relevance pertains to how relevant the loot that drops in that content is in relationship to use during end game. Big deal.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:15 PM
Planar Protector

also pre kunark is best i win cant beat me la~!
Closed Thread