Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 07:03 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here? Fun to play. Reasonable utility. Ok though somewhat disappointing tanks. Ok dps. Bad healers. Limited buffers. Great outdoor pullers.

That’s about it.
I played a ranger in real classic eq and kunark. As well as one here too. This is my estimation as well.
Last edited by jolanar; 06-05-2019 at 07:06 AM..
Old 06-05-2019, 08:02 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleriah [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
get better gear. wont be such a disappointing tank [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Defense still stuck at 200 either way.

And also lol at your overly defensive posts.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:22 AM
Planar Protector

I mean, stick NToV gear on any melee (except a rogue maybe) and they can tank well. Same with weaps. Stating that a fully end game geared XXX can top a board doesnt really mean anything if the next person only has epic or less equipped.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:40 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleriah [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There you have it folks. Hes a realist! This is why some guilds are capable of completing end game content and acquiring best in slot drops as opposed to... whats your guild doing? Fear golems?
It might be a good idea to practice restraint until you rate being considered credible in regards to the topic. It would be a shame if someone was discouraged from playing a ranger just because you weren't capable of utilizing the class' full potential and felt the need to discredit the class.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying rangers are the sole reason to do end game content but it is safe to say raiding would be a lot more chaotic without them!
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaezil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ugh alleriah’s autistic screetching...
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 06-05-2019, 08:57 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Defense still stuck at 200 either way.
Should be 220 as soon as the melee balance patch rolls out.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:18 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legidias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I mean, stick NToV gear on any melee (except a rogue maybe) and they can tank well. Same with weaps. Stating that a fully end game geared XXX can top a board doesnt really mean anything if the next person only has epic or less equipped.
For the record rogue is much better potential tank than often given credit for.

Saying NToV is unattainable is a bit of a straw man. Even 'lower end' velious stuff such as crystal chitin will let a ranger reach point of diminishing returns for much content.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:18 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I take it I should train Fletching as a Ranger too, make my own ammo? Or is the Bracer that creates ammo sufficient?
If you want to maximize your dps, fletching is once such route to take. But for day to day pulling, soloing, etc. the bracer is a very good investment.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:54 AM
Planar Protector

I really shouldn’t engage Alleriah but I can’t help myself [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Damage mitigation:

Hit for hit ... round for round ... and gear being equal ... rangers take more damage than any other melee class. This includes plate tanks, bards, monks, and even rogues. Yes, even rogues will physically take less damage than rangers. Let that sink in for a moment. So, assuming your goal is to live while getting hit, rangers do that worse than literally every single other melee class in this game. Now we all know that being able to take a hit means nothing if you can’t hold threat. Rangers accomplish this well but don’t forget that 3 other classes can also do this on demand along with taking those hits better. Of the 4 classes who have instant and on demand aggro rangers are the least survivable. Warriors suffer from proc reliance but those worth their salt have the tools to get the job done.

Damage output potential has been hashed out over and over again. We know precisely where each class stands and gear being equal rangers, though capable, do not shine brighter than most other classes.

Once all classes have done the whole “get better gear”, many will tank better and many will put out more damage. Some classes (warrior) are capable of doing both better. Set up for strictly offense warrior with buffs/precision +/- berserk mode put out ludicrous numbers. Hunkered down for tanking ... again we again all precisely know just how well warriors tank. Even after defensive drops, no other class has more hp and no other class mitigates as well though there is an honorable mention on this front to monks with good gear and superior avoidance (this too is known and well established.

I have a lot of love for the ranger class. They are extremely capable. They bring balanced offense and defense to the table along with some unique capabilities that even you (Alleriah) have mentioned. Weaponshield is an ace up your sleeve. Keeping it around locks you out of offensive prowess depending on your setup but it’s well worth it. Rangers tank well enough to get the job done if appropriately geared. Spellbook adds a lot of versatility and remains another feather in the class’s cap.

They are super fun to play. Good class. Plenty of global power. The power is spread out but it’s there’s. I will say again though that I am a realist. I don’t drink the koolaid and neither do most of the people here.

Your attempt to win the argument by referencing content consistently captured is cute. Being a member of a high population guild of high playtime people makes a person neither smart/informed nor talented. I work 60 hours a week and have a family. I’ve been around for years and have approached p99 casually, only recently started raiding (hence my horde of high level toons). I don’t have BiS gear because I voluntarily let the sun set in my hardcore raiding habits well over a decade ago. My guild? I enjoy my guildmates and would happily play with them regardless of the content they capture. Content thus far has included numerous NToV named, tunare, and other crap all the way down. EQ isn’t hard and getting kills on this server is more a function of total warmbodies on the roster and relative playtime of each. Those with jobs and families they’re unwilling to neglect will have less playtime.

Being a warmbody amongst the horde and acquiring participation points traded in for imaginary loot doesn’t make you talented. Your pixels don’t make you smart. Your posts are not insightful, but please don’t stop posting. Your rambling delusions have a lot of entertainment value.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 06-05-2019, 11:34 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here? Fun to play. Reasonable utility. Ok though somewhat disappointing tanks. Ok dps. Bad healers. Limited buffers. Great outdoor pullers
I'm gonna grade rangers based on that list. While I am bias, I'll do my best to check the hyperbole. Any comparison to other classes assumes everybody has equal quality gear.
-----

Utility: A-
Lots of natural utility like snare and root and can gain even more from items such as a slow proc from Earthcaller, or gating with Tolan's BP, etc. Weapon shield also adds a lot of utility for a variety of uses.

Tanking: B+
From 1-40 rangers are pretty much on par with warriors and knights in terms of mitigation. By 60 Rangers can still tank but warriors, knights, monks, and even rogues will be able to mitigate and avoid damage to a greater degree. However, Rangers have a superior control of aggro - with great snap aggro, very good sustained aggro, and the ability to jolt to lower aggro if needed.

DPS: A
Less DPS than a rogue and on par with a monk (for now). DPS can be raised by a great deal by using the true shot disc.

Healing: D-
A ranger can CH, but it will take about about 20-30 casts. It's more healing than a fungi or an invigorate bp, but a hell of a lot more mana. Can quickly go oom.

Buffing: B
Ranger get very good buffs for anybody who wants to melee dps. They also get inferior versions of druid buffs if a group is lacking something.

Outdoor pulling: A+
Harmony trivializes pulling in outdoor zones.

Fun: A+
Graded with complete bias.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:17 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah, Greater Healing isn't exactly going to be all that good at 57 so I don't see a Ranger doing any backup healing, but Rangers do at least get Chloroplast as well, so I'll definitely mix that into the rotation to help ease the healers burden, or at least a little more self sufficiency.

I was going to ask that, while they still can't compete with Druids and Shamans, I would think that Paladins still make decent secondary healers just because of the fact that they eventually get the spell Superior Healing?
Closed Thread